1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Lossless and AAC

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by inzaman, Jul 8, 2005.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Is Apple Lossless really as good as CD quality as i have just got a 40gb ipod (well awaiting delivery) and before i start to fill it i need to set the compression ratio in itunes.
    I was going to go for AAC 256 which takes about 2mb per minute as opposed to Apple lossless 5mb per minute, but as i dont have 5000 songs i dont mind going to 5mb per minute if i am going to get cd quality as i will predominantly use my ipod as a juke box through my stereo amp at home.

Does anybody have any experience between the two and is anybody using an ipod in this scenario. Cheers Inza.

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Inza

Lossless does sound very good :thumbsup: If you have enough space on your iPod I would go down that route.

I personally use AAC 128 as I currently have 8587 songs on my 40Gb

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,746
    I use AAC 192 as a compromise as I have too much music to fit it all on the iPod at a higer rate. If I were in your position I would be leaning more towards the lossless as you would probably notice the difference through the amp (just make sure you do it via the docking station output rather than the headphone output as it is far superior).
    You could also try a few albums at different rates to check it out as you can always re-encode them afterwards.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I will actually give that a try, i didnt think of that tbh.

I will be using a dock as i have ordered that with the ipod.

5. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Inzaman

I have just ripped stacks of my cd's in aac 128k for use on my htpc going to my linn classik movie via optical and the difference between aac and lossless was minimal,
    I would say slightly thinner sound but noyt much in it. Have yet to try the higher bitrates in aac but will probably be closer to lossless. trouble is that i will now have to do it all again as medial portal does not work with itunes dam dam dam!!!! never mind eh! only another weekend gone.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Very interesting schillaci0 and thanks for the post, the lossless is 5mb per minute where as the AAC256 is 2mb oer minute so if there is not that much difference i might as well go with the AAc as it will also save pc hd space.

When my ipod arrives, should be some time next week, i will give AAC256 and lossless a try and post my findings.

If anybody has any more experiences please post.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,746
    I've ripped a couple of dozen CDs onto my bedroom PC using Apple lossless and then have fed it via a cheap cable from the Creative Live value sound card into the stereo amp. It sounds absolutely great for a bedroom system and does sound a lot better than from my iPod where the tracks are ripped at 192. Having said that I haven't put any lossless tracks onto the iPod to see if it sounds better than the 192 tracks from the iPod. I can recommend lossless for a system like mine which is just being used for listening in the house, the only problem being I have to keep 2 different iTunes systems up to date now.