Apple Logic 9 download. The same as the shop bought version?

vmt

Standard Member
My husband was looking for a pair of active speakers today and whilst in the shop he enquired about the cost of Logic9. The shop price was £300 plus. I've just seen that you can download Logic 9 direct from iTunes for £139!
Is this the same full version that you can buy over the counter for over £300?
If so what back up do you get, ie if you change your Mac in the future can you download the program again at no extra charge?
I just can't believe the price difference between buying it over the counter compared to downloading it.

Anyone know?

Thanks. :)

woodall57

Novice Member
hi

im a new member jake :D

basically its the same you get all the plugins and instruments that you get with the boxed version but you dont get mainstage which is an add on to logic for other things but this can be purchased for 21 quid i think which is pretty good so if you buy logic and mainstage off itunes you will then have the full equivalent boxed version

penguinpaul

Novice Member
If you buy it in the shop, you get logic studio. This comprises of logic pro, mainstage, compressor, wave burner and ALL of the jam packs (samples and loops).
The entire box is about 60gb when it installs.
If you only need logic, then get the one from the app store. I got a new copy of the box from amazon for about £250.

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Can you still get Soundtrack pro? I do sound design and my version isn't compatible with lion. Wish you could get it on the app store.

I've had to copy all the included samples from soundtrack pro on my computer as the samples are nice but nothing beats the sample layout of soundtrack pro. Especially with having to use finder to preview them before decided if I want to import them to pro tools :(

penguinpaul

Novice Member
That was another one I forgot to list, soundtrack pro. That DID come in the box, but not anymore. Since the app store stuff came about, the box dropped soundtrack pro.
Now that final cut studio has been dropped, it seems there is no way to get it.
Does it look like the end of the line for stp?

vmt

Standard Member
My husband has (minor) issues with the downloaded Logic Pro software, or possibly caused by the downloaded Lion os?
Firstly he can't open Logic by double clicking the Logic icon that sits on the bottom of the Macs toolbar, he has to right click the icon and open a previously worked on project to be able to open Logic. According to Logic you should be able to open the program by simply clicking on its icon just like Safari, iTunes etc.
In theory if he deletes his previous projects will he be able to open Logic at all via the Logic icon?

Also when he boots up the MacBook Pro it automatically opens up a load of other program's such as iTunes, Logic, the Callander, Mainstage etc. So you have to close all these program's down before you can use the Mac for anything else.
Probably an easy fix but this always happens on boot up!

penguinpaul

Novice Member
Firstly, my friend had that problem with logic 8 when he installed lion, but there was a software update which fixed it. Have a check for updates from the apple menu.

As for the programs opening, are you closing these programs before shut down? Lion has this feature to reopen everything when you turn back on. Way to fix this is either: quit programs fully, either from the menu or the dock, or when you shut down, untick the option to 're open programs' on the shut down confirmation screen.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Soundburst

In Memoriam
OK. I'm in a bit of a pickle - especially having been given a £2000 short film to sound edit yesterday :eek:

Pro Tools 10 is UNUSABLE. It's so bad. I have a brand new Mac and yet I get 3 second hang up's every couple of times I click the screen. Fresh uninstall and install, and still all the same. It's brutal. I have managed to do one scene - but it is so hard (automation via the click and drag line-level is really really poor) and it took me 4 hours to do what should have been a simple 50second scene!

My problem is with Soundtrack Pro.

Apple removed it.

So I have a question for those with Logic 9 - can you import video and put sound to it? (i.e. do Sound Design work as you could in Soundtrack Pro?)

Thanks for any information!

penguinpaul

Novice Member
As far as I know, yes. I know you can run video in, what I don't know is whether it will automatically take the audio in with it.
With song tracks you can add music video and sync it up.

penguinpaul

Novice Member
Hmm. I might just get it. I went back to Pro Tools 9 and it's also laggy and slow. No idea what's going on :(

To be honest, using both, I prefer Logic... Maybe that's just because I started using Logic first and I'm much more fluent with it...

Certainly a decent piece of software.

Maybe you could buy a Logic Studio box off ebay and get Logic Pro 9 with Soundtrack pro?

Soundburst

In Memoriam
To be honest, using both, I prefer Logic... Maybe that's just because I started using Logic first and I'm much more fluent with it...

Certainly a decent piece of software.

Maybe you could buy a Logic Studio box off ebay and get Logic Pro 9 with Soundtrack pro?

Kind of embarrassed about the solution to my Pro Tools laggy and slow problem.

The director sent me the scenes in 1080p and obviously when you're automating, or clicking through sound with Video attached in Pro Tools it's needing to read the video so it was slow.

I converted the video to 480p so I can create the sound design file to it and now it's running like a dream. :blush:

penguinpaul

Novice Member
Haha excellent! Well that's certainly saved a lot of hassle. And money!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom