Apple launches iPhone 5S - news discussion

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Fingerprint sensor, gold colour, better camera. Every rumour almost proved right

The true successor to the iPhone 5, the iPhone 5S, has just been announced by Apple on stage at their event in Cupertino. There were no great surprises, the internet saw to that, but it does nevertheless look like a worthy replacement.

As predicted by many, the 5S will be available in a blingtatsic gold colour scheme, as well as a new 'space grey' and silver. The leaked news about a fingerprint sensor integrated in to the Home button also proved correct.

Apple is calling the feature 'Touch ID', which will scan your sub-epidermal layers at 500 points per inch and unlock the phone, as well as verifying certain features.

attachment.php

Those worried about potential security issues will be pleased to learn that Fingerprints are encrypted and stored locally on the A7 chip and not available to apps, nor are they sent to servers or shared with iCloud.

The iPhone 5S comes with the new A7 processing chip, which is the first 64-bit chip in a phone and naturally it will come with iOS7 from the off.

The 5S also has a new M7 motion processor which constantly evaluates motion data from the accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass for use with a new generation of health and fitness apps.

The camera has also seen improvements and possesses a sensor that's 15 percent bigger than the outgoing model, although resolution remains the same at 8 megapixels. Impressively, the 5S can also capture 120fps slo-mo video at 720p

Battery life is also improved, with up to 250 hours on standby, 10 hours of browsing and 10 hours of talk.

The 5S is now on the Apple store, available from £549 sim free - so who's upgrading?

Attachments

• iphone5s-gallery2-2013.jpg
    iphone5s-gallery2-2013.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5,612
Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of the fingerprint scanner but was also hoping for a BlackBerry style notification indicator. I was also hoping that they were going to announce some sort of stronger scratch proof material.

Also, not sure about the "Space" grey? although it's probably the one I'll end up getting.....

Not much compelling me to upgrade to be honest.
I might move over to Android for the course of a 24 month contract and then maybe come back to Apple depending on where things are at that point. By that point, the finger print scanner tech may have really taken hold wit other apps and unique services.

I'm giving serious consideration to the Sony Xperia Z1.

I was also hoping that they were going to announce some sort of stronger scratch proof material.

Also, not sure about the "Space" grey? although it's probably the one I'll end up getting.....

i suspect thats exactly why they have ditched the black and gone to grey, because it is better at resistance

The new space grey just looked like my 5 with iCarbons on the back.

Will be interesting to see what case manufacturers like Otterbox come up with to protect the phone and allow fingerprint identification.

would be amazing if they could use sapphire crystal for the screen with some anti reflective coating....:cool:

Will be interesting to see what case manufacturers like Otterbox come up with to protect the phone and allow fingerprint identification.

But the Otterbox cases dont cover the screen itself though so I see no issue? The only issue I can see is if the fingerprint identification will still work with all forms of screen protectors

But the Otterbox cases dont cover the screen itself though so I see no issue? The only issue I can see is if the fingerprint identification will still work with all forms of screen protectors

screen protectors have a cut out for the button no?

The fingerprint sensor is only on the home button, not the entire screen so the screen protector won't matter but the otterbox and many other cases currently have the home button covered and therefore will have to rethink their design to allow users access to this feature

ah didnt realise it was on the button. Assume just a large hole from now on then. Not really an issue for them with most cases. However bye bye waterproof cases

The fingerprint sensor is only on the home button, not the entire screen so the screen protector won't matter but the otterbox and many other cases currently have the home button covered and therefore will have to rethink their design to allow users access to this feature

Otterbox have already sorted it, the new 5S cases were put on their website yesterday.

ah didnt realise it was on the button. Assume just a large hole from now on then. Not really an issue for them with most cases. However bye bye waterproof cases

The new Otterbox case just extends the built-in screen protector to cover the Touch ID.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom