Apple launches iPad Air & iPad Mini with retina Display

Discussion in 'News' started by hodg100, Oct 23, 2013.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,457
      Thinner, lighter, faster

Apple took to the stage last night to launch their latest tablets and managed to surprise onlookers with the reveals.

iPad Air

The new iPad Air is much smaller and lighter than most expected but should sacrifice nothing in performance terms. At just 7.5mm thick, the iPad Air is 20 percent thinner than its predecessor and it weighs in at only 0.45Kg, compared to 0.65Kg. Whilst 200g might not sound much, we think it will make a big difference when held over long periods.

[​IMG]

The 9.7-inch screen remains, as does the 2,048 × 1,536 resolution. Internally, the new A7 system chip doubles the iPad Air's graphics and processing performance, according to Apple.

Available colours will be silver and space gray when it goes on sale on November 1, priced from £399.

iPad Mini 2

Everyone was expecting Apple to ramp up the screen resolution in the new iPad Mini, and they duly obliged, giving the iPad Mini 2 the Retina Display treatment and a resolution of 2048 x 1536 at 326ppi - which is identical to the bigger versions.

In fact, the iPad Mini 2 is now all but just a shrunken down iPad Air, boasting the same A7 processor and computational performance.

[​IMG]

Design wise, it's a doppelganger for the original iPad Mini and will also be available in Space Grey and Silver. The Wi-Fi only 16B model starts at £319, with prices going all the way up to £659 for the 64GB, 4G ready version, so it aint cheap.

Like the iPad Air, the iPad Mini 2 launches on November 1st

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    2. withanee

withanee
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      "it weighs in at only 0.45Kg, compared to 0.65Kg. Whilst 20g might not sound much, we think it will make a big difference"

20g weight difference isn't much. So it's a good job the new iPad is actually 200g lighter. That will make a noticeable difference.

I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt on his ability to convert kilograms to grams and will assume the error was a typo!!

3. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +601
      Thanks for the round-up.

Ignore the **** above.

4. withanee

withanee
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Whoa! - you're being a bit touchy, aren't you?

I was simply pointing out an error in the article, in a light-hearted way. I don't know how that makes me a "****" (brave of you to hide your insults behind asterisks, btw), or what makes you think it's your place to tell the article's author what to do with my comment - I'm sure he's able to make his own mind up without your help.

In fact, if you had looked properly at the thread, you would have seen that Mark, the author, thanked my message, so no doubt he took it in the spirit I intended.

5. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +601
      Sorry. Having a bad day.

These forums hide rude words, it wasn't me. And it wasn't a very bad word, don't worry.

6. withanee

withanee
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for that, and apologies if I was a bit touchy too after reading your message! Hope your day has improved since.