Apple did not just kill 4k Blu-ray with the 4K TV box

The original "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951) looks and sounds pretty good for its age.

Correct aspect ratio and 5.1 sound.

£7.99

The firmware with match frame rate option and a few other changes now is available to download and you box may even automatically update to it.

Now watching CHiPs, the original TV series at 23hz (according to my amp).

The firmware with match frame rate option and a few other changes now is available to download and you box may even automatically update to it.

Now watching CHiPs, the original TV series at 23hz (according to my amp).

Yeah thanks for that. Have you just switched your Apple TV on for the first time this month?

Yeah thanks for that. Have you just switched your Apple TV on for the first time this month?
Only had it a week.

The official version of 11.2 only seems to have been released yesterday.
The information was really just for anyone who had not installed a beta release version.

BTW, Home Alone is the daily special at £1.99 in 4K

Only had it a week.

The information was really just for anyone who had not installed a beta release version.

It was actually released on December 4th, your a little behind everyone else.
It’s been discussed in the AppleTV 4K Owners Thread.
Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Also being discussed in another Thread is the daily specials as we’re kinda knowing what it’s going to be the day before.
UK/US iTunes Movie & TV Bargains

Only had it a week.

Apologies. My response wasn’t warranted. The official update was last Monday I think. Hope you enjoy the Apple TV. Can I also recommend installing the CheapCharts app. It’s great for highlighting bargains as soon as they’re out and they tend to show the daily special price drops a fair bit in advance. [emoji4]

I've been really pleased with the Apple TV on the whole, but Transformers in particular is much better on disc than the 4K Apple TV version. The ATV version has some terrible posterisation (bands) in the sky throughout the movie, which are not present on the disc. It's really noticeable in the desert scenes in the junkyard, where the disc is perfect. I guess it's just down to the difference in bitrate, and I won't be too bothered in many cases, but I'll still be buying UHD discs for most big releases.
Is your TV Dolby Vision compatible because I think that posterization is a result of the dv to hdr conversion on the atv, I haven't noticed 'terrible posterization' on my E6 playing the DV version of that film

Is your TV Dolby Vision compatible because I think that posterization is a result of the dv to hdr conversion on the atv, I haven't noticed 'terrible posterization' on my E6 playing the DV version of that film
No it isn’t a DV TV, and yes that does seem to be the cause that was discovered and discussed on another thread. I’ll just be buying ‘hdr’ flagged titles on Apple TV, and not DV titles, as a result. TV is a DX902.

Hasn’t killed it for me, but I’ve gone from buying loads of UHD discs to having not bought any since the ATV came out.

There are some titles where only the disc will do, but these are few and far between for me.

For me at least it’s currently prevented the need for me to be buying a UHD player.
Whether or not I will change my mind at some point who knows, but all the while I can get the films I want at bargain prices I’m happy enough with what ATV4K delivers.

I'm buying one of the new Panasonic players so I can finally have UHD discs...

The Apple TV4K is great for HD rentals (in SDR & HDR), but streaming 4K is expensive in my area because it takes so much internet data... After I hit my data cap for the month it's cheaper to buy blu rays then 'top up' my data...

I like physical media, don't like to pay more to get less, unless they start have identical quality I dont see the point of going digital.

Wow I can believe this thread is still going.

It pretty much killed it for me. I have only purchased Marvel and Bladerunner + 2048.

I would have purchased but Apple gave us free box sets of
Chris Nolan
Harry Potter
Jurassic Park
Despicable Me 1/2/3 Minions
Hulk
Groundhog Day
All free with Atmos to be added for free in future. I am so happy it has saved me fortunes.
So much so I purchased two more with two LG b7’s for our bedroom and sons games room. Thanks to Richer Sounds for the crazy price £1350 each for buying two.

Free box sets ?
Blimey no wander you like it.
Still hoping that the major new features that have been rumoured will include atmos

Free box sets ?
Blimey no wander you like it.
Still hoping that the major new features that have been rumoured will include atmos

I’m kinda guessing he’s meaning the 4K upgrades rather than actual free box sets.
Which depending on how you look at it you could argue they’re free box sets compared to any other format in which if you’d already had the HD versions then you’d have to buy again to get them in 4K.

I’m kinda guessing he’s meaning the 4K upgrades rather than actual free box sets.
Which depending on how you look at it you could argue they’re free box sets compared to any other format in which if you’d already had the HD versions then you’d have to buy again to get them in 4K.

That’s actually a good point.
There are films I’ve had on pretty much every format, Betamax / vhs, laserdisc, video cd, dvd, blu Ray

So yeah in a way, yeah I suppose it is “free”if already own on the service

I have stopped disc completely and gone digital since ATV4K came out.

It’s far cheaper and accessible

So it may not have killed discs but it’s had an appreciable effect I would have thought

One side benefit of buying digitally on iTunes is not being bothered about upscales, as they cost the same as a blu-ray. (as they should) As a result, I now own loads of 2K upscales, which I would never have considered buying on a fauxK disc. None of them look remotely like 4K, but for the price, I don't care.

Amusing too that if you buy the Harry Potter upscales on iTunes you also get the extras from the blu-ray, which apparently isn't the case with the disc.

It's nice to see Apple continuing to add catalogue content too. Jurassic Park is now 4K HDR, but there's no sign yet of Gladiator.

I have stopped disc completely and gone digital since ATV4K came out.

It’s far cheaper and accessible

So it may not have killed discs but it’s had an appreciable effect I would have thought

You're not the first person to post something similar, but it should be said that disc based media is in fact digital. The only real difference is the way in which the digital media is delivered. The media streamed to you over the internet will be of a lesser quality in order to reduce the bandwidth required to get it to you. The same is true of the audio and it is unlikely that the streaming services will ever adopt HD formats because of the increased files sizes and bandwidth this would require. Even if Apple add Atmos abilities and if the studios start including it with the films that they license to Apple, this will be via the inclusion of Atmos metadata in association with Dolby Digital Plus audio and not HD TrueHD. Disc based media is digital and the audio and the video is of a higher bitrate.

You're not the first person to post something similar, but it should be said that disc based media is in fact digital. The only real difference is the way in which the digital media is delivered. The media streamed to you over the internet will be of a lesser quality in order to reduce the bandwidth required to get it to you. THe same is true of the audio and it is unlikely that the streaming services will ever adopt HD formats because of the increased files sozes and bandwidth this would require. Even if Apple add the Atmos abilities and if the studios start including it with the films that they license to Apple, this will be via the inclusion of the Atmos metadata in association with Dolby Digital Plus audio and not HD TrueHD. Disc based media is digital and a higher bitrate. It also includes the ability to deliver higher quality digital audio.

It's just a turn of phase. People say the same with regard to video games.

Just as an aside, but also related, how much are most of you spending extra per month on internet due to all this streaming?

I pay £40 for 300GB per month, but any extra at high speed (necessary for 4K) costs me around £6 per 4K movie in internet costs alone...

So if I want to rewatch Dunkirk or Get Out on the Apple TV 4k after I've hit my limit I have to pay my ISP extra, whereas with discs this is no issue...

To be fair I only run into this problem once every two months or so and I'm sure it will be less so once I have a player and get more discs...

Just as an aside, but also related, how much are most of you spending extra per month on internet due to all this streaming?

I pay £40 for 300GB per month, but any extra at high speed (necessary for 4K) costs me around £6 per 4K movie in internet costs alone...

So if I want to rewatch Dunkirk or Get Out on the Apple TV 4k after I've hit my limit I have to pay my ISP extra, whereas with discs this is no issue...

To be fair I only run into this problem once every two months or so and I'm sure it eill be less so once I have a player and get more discs...

There are high speed broadband packages that don't limit your downloads that cost about what you appear to be paying for one that does.

I've an 150Mb broadband package with no limits on what I can download for what you are paying.

Last edited:

To be fair I only run into this problem once every two months or so and I'm sure it will be less so once I have a player and get more discs...

BT Infinity is around £50 a month and is unlimited.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom