Apple Ipod Touch (7th Generation) or Sony NWA55

pwlewisuk

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking for a new music player and already own the Apple iPod touch (7th Generation). Having looked at the Sony NWA55 and for the price, is the sound quality much better on this than the Apple iPod touch.? I will be using the Sony WH1000m3 headphones with it

Last edited:
It depends on how your music is ripped. If they are both MP3 then probably very little difference. You will see the difference in FLAC's and HiRez music on the NWA55.

I have an NWA55 with XM3s but my daily drivers are TinHifi T2s

Thanks mushii, all my music at the moment is AAC from iTunes, Is the sound quality good on your NWA55? I am trying to get away from iPod and just use a stand alone music player, if that makes sense

I have an NW-A45 to sell if any interest, bought to use with hearing aids but does not work with standard bluetooth, so only loaded music on then reset it.

I am ok for now thanks Lee, was the sound any good though as I am trying to move myself away from Apple?

I am ok for now thanks Lee, was the sound any good though as I am trying to move myself away from Apple?

Never tried it with head phones as have hearing aids so don't know on that. I did like the screen and interface compared to any apple or other MP3 I have had. My hearing aid use low energy bluetooth of some sort so will only connect to an apple device.

Assuming this is the XM3 model headphone,

If you are using the Sony headphones in wireless Bluetooth mode the Bluetooth source does not matter whether a computer, smartphone or Bluetooth digital audio player

Bluetooth headphones keep it digital and have built in DACs. Whether there is an audible difference between the Sony and Apple players as wired sources is another matter.

If you are using the Sony headphones in wired mode, the source may make a difference but of course the wired headphone and your ears also plays a role

For Bluetooth headphones, you are more likely to hear a difference because Apple supports SBC and AAC codecs

The internet says the NW55 supports LDAC codec, which allows higher bit rate = more data = in theory higher sound quality

*Double check for yourself the Sony player supports LDAC

*Double check for yourself the Sony player supports LDAC

It does

E2A9DCD1-5460-4302-BFD5-655C37055F80.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to go with the Sony NWA 55 in the end, and i am very pleased with it. Fantastic when paired with my Sony WH1000 M3
Note that if you use that combination on Bluetooth or LDAC , the entire audio section on the NWA is ignored and bypassed . Only if you use the phone wired is its DAC used. In my case I often use the same phones wired ,and turned on with my NWA 45 . The Sony and the Sony phones will use LDAC, which is currently the best blu tooth codec. And the DAC in those phones are very good.

Last edited:
I have been using the Sony nw-a55 for a month now and it sounds absolutely amazing. It has a very good battery life and can play via Bluetooth. Please note, sound options will only work if you are using wired headphones. If you use Bluetooth headphones, all the sound features are disabled but, if you use headphones that support the LDAC sound profile, music might sound a little better. This is because music will always sound better through the wire than Bluetooth no matter what the sound profile is. Hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom