1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Ipod 20GB (more like 18.5GB): Misleading claim?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tk2001, Aug 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I just brought the latest 20GB Ipod directly from Apple's store and upon receiving it yesterday I had the chance to browse through the settings briefly and under the 'About' setting, I was slightly dissapointed to find that it states the Ipods capacity as 18.5GB, not the '20GB' that is clearly stated behind the actual Ipod itself. Where did the 1.5GB go and wheres the 20GB that I paid for?

Is this common for all Ipod users i.e. the actual capacity you get isn't the one advertised on the back of you Ipod?

If I get 18.5GB from the 20GB Ipod then what do the Mini Ipod owners actually get?

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    All hard drives are less than stated.

My NW-HD3 is stated as 20GB, but is actually 18.6GB. My PC has a 40GB and an 80GB hard drive, which work out at 37.2GB and 74.5GB, respectively.

It is becuase there is actually 1024 (not 1000) Bytes in a Kb, and 1024 KB in a MB, and 1024 MB to a Gigabyte.

3. Wykey

Wykey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mcfarfs is spot on, the reality of it is, the size you get is the size they advertise, but the small print is that the operating system and the advertising use different formulas to work out the size.

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    additionally, hard drive manufacturers quote the unformatted capacity. actually laying down the form consumes differering amounts of space depending on the operating sytems that writes the file system.

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you convert the hard drive on the player to NTFS instead of Fat32 or would this stuff it up?

6. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would assume not as NTFS is a Windows proprietry file system... and IPODs are Apple (for a start...)

Gareth.

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yeah right click on the drive in my computer and goto properties look at the Capacity: and you'll see the real size in bytes ie. 20 000 000 000 or similar

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    It's relatively straight forward - HDD sizes are quoted in decimal, but actual size is based on binary. In other words, actual size of 1 GB is 1024 MB, not 1000 MB. So, divide any drive size by 1.024, and allow 5% for formatting, and you'll have the amount of true space available to use.

20/1.024 - 1.5% = 18.55