Apple iPhone XR Review & Comments

Whoever wrote that article was pretty lackadaisical and needs to get a fact checker to oversee their work.

The other two, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, are the most expensive iPhones Apple has ever produced.

How much is the XS? And how much was the X last year?

So how is the XS described as “the most expensive iPhones Apple has ever produced”?

The XR is thicker than its more expensive siblings, but only by just over half a millimetre - it's 8.3mm where the other two are each 7.7mm thick.

Does the author know how big half a millimetre is? Or what a centimetre is?

I stopped reading after that display of a lack of any grasp of measurements, maybe when I’m not tired such shoddy writing won’t be quite so annoying and I’ll read further...

I had a play with it at the apple store and immediately noticed that the camera is not as good as the xs and xs max ...i liked the different colours though

Not much love for the XR in the forums here. Nobody at all said they got one.

My missus got one yesterday, and she is very happy with it.

I stopped reading after that display of a lack of any grasp of measurements, maybe when I’m not tired such shoddy writing won’t be quite so annoying and I’ll read further...

You do realise that the difference between 8.3mm and 7.8mm is 0.5mm, or to put it another way half a millimetre, don't you?

Whoever wrote that article was pretty lackadaisical and needs to get a fact checker to oversee their work.
You can see more about David in his Bio here -https://www.avforums.com/writer/david_phelan.765344
David is an actor and tech writer for many publications including AVForums, Time Out, The Independent, Monocle, The Sunday Times, the Telegraph and the Daily Mail.

He is a freelance journalist who covers tech launches, events and news for AVForums as well as writing tech reviews.
I regard him as more than qualified to be reviewing for AVForums.

Mine arrived yesterday and pretty pleased with it so far, certainly a major upgrade on my old iPhone 6.

A pity they don’t make a smaller sized version, but it seems super-sized phones are here to stay.

One major positive of this size though is the battery life, I can see myself only needing to charge this thing a couple of times a week.

So how is the XS described as “the most expensive iPhones Apple has ever produced”?

The X never had a 512gb model and therefore is not as expensive as this years xs flagship model. It's £100 more.

@d123 7.7mm to 8.3mm is 0.6mm difference. Just over half a millimetre. And the XS is the most expensive iPhone ever produced. The XS Max 512gb to be exact. Maybe make sure you’re awake before criticising mistakes that aren’t there.

These iPhone/phone forums used to be so busy. Now they’re a breeding ground for tumbleweed.

Superb review!

Tricky to not have the XS but the XR looks ‘good value’ if you can ever call an iPhone that. Our work upgrades in April so hopefully will get an XS if there is enough money in the deal, if not then you can’t be disappointed with the XR base on this excellent review.

@d123 0.6mm is “just over half a millimetre” so I don’t know why the reviewer is being criticised here?

Not much love for the XR in the forums here. Nobody at all said they got one.
I don’t think it is that
People are awakening to some hard facts. I have an iPhone 6 and my wife a 7 plus. I would love to upgrade but the price is becoming a real joke now.

Review is good but calling the XR value is all relative. A Porsche 911 gt3 is value versus a Lamborghini for sure...

That premium for Oled is a joke and the resolution for xr is disappointing at this high price. At least £200 should be shaved across all new models...

A £749 phone that is low resolution and non-HDR, yet is scores a 9. Is this a joke?

giphy.gif

I don’t think it is that
People are awakening to some hard facts. I have an iPhone 6 and my wife a 7 plus. I would love to upgrade but the price is becoming a real joke now.

Review is good but calling the XR value is all relative. A Porsche 911 gt3 is value versus a Lamborghini for sure...

That premium for Oled is a joke and the resolution for xr is disappointing at this high price. At least £200 should be shaved across all new models...

A company that is the richest in the world with very little scruples are never going to be good value they just know how far to push the boundaries of pricing but they give there game away by charging £50+ for a case and with other extortionate prices for other accessories
There game being milking us consumers they have made an art of it that said my home is an apple home but the words apple and value shouldn’t be in the same book never mind same sentence
They would still be making plenty of profit at half the price

A £749 phone that is low resolution and non-HDR, yet is scores a 9. Is this a joke?

Sorry, but you're making no sense. In what world is a PPI of over 300 low resolution? It's higher than the human eye can discern. And why does anyone need HDR on a phone?! It's beyond pointless. What next, Dolby Atmos on a phone?

Phones are for making phone calls, sending text messages, taking casual photos, using Google maps, and very light web browsing and email. That's it. The XR accomplishes all of those very well, hence the score.

We just got my wife an XR and she is very happy with it.

Comparing it to my P20 pro and the two phones seem pretty equal.

Screen probably slightly better on the P20 pro, mainly down to bezel size more than oled vs lcd.

iPhone probably slightly slicker in use.

Sim free price for the two phones is about £200 apart, which seems par for the course for Apple vs everybody else.

If you want a new phone and don't mind paying the premium for the iOS experience you won't be disappointed.

If you don't mind android then you can get a similar phone for a couple hundred less, pretty much the same as always really.

Comparing the XR with the XS, I think the compromises made to reduce the price are fine and I personally think it's the best value of the range, if still pricey compared to the android alternatives.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom