Apple iPhone Warranty on 3 year old device

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by markgodley, Jul 1, 2015.

1. markgodley

markgodley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I bought a new iPhone 5 back in Sept 2012 from Apple.

In July 2013 i had the phone replaced due to a faulty Power button.

Now the phone fails to charge correctly, as a result its hard to get it to charge (i have to angle the charger in a certain way).

So effectively the device is less than 2 years old since i had it replaced. I contacted Apple yesterday and i was told i was looking at a repair cost of £230+. I stated this wasn't good enough and reading online seems to be a fairly well know issue. They agreed i can take it to a local genius bar to have them inspect it.

So ill be looking to take it in next Saturday but looking for any ammunition i can to strengthen my case when i go. I'd expect a £530+ phone to last longer than 2 years.

Their warranty online seems to be confusing - http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

I assume the 6 year section is for items not fit for purpose.

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    what is the warranty for the battery?

3. markgodley

markgodley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I don't believe it's a battery issue as when it does start to charge (normally when Venus and Jupiter align, while i prop the misses 50 shades of grey book against the charger cable at a 3 degree angle), the battery holds it charge down to 3% before powering off

It appears to be the charging port itself that is the cause.

4. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    You could play the Sales of Goods Act card, but you'll still need to get an engineers report that the fault was inherent at purchase and not down to mistreatment, even then I feel you would struggle as phone pretty much tend to be replaced every couple of years.

I hear your pain and would be annoyed too, however, I don't see a phone / tablet as providing more than a couple of years of useful service before coming obsolete...I'm sure others will disagree though.

5. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Where are they getting £230 from?
    We've replaced two company iphone 5S this week.
    One with a smashed screen, one with water damage.
    We were charged £200 to replace each of them with 'new' phones (Aberdeen store) instead of waiting for repairs.
    Not a lot less than your £230, I'm just wondering why there's a lack of consistency between stores.

6. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Have you tried a different charger/cable? Is the charger/cable official Apple?

7. markgodley

markgodley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I don't seem to have a log of the chat, even connecting to my case via the apple site doesn't seem to bring this up.
    Either way not sure how they calculated this, just remember stating the issue and them replying with a figure around £230.

Yep, i've tried 3 different cables all genuine apple leads all similar issues.

8. k17chy

k17chy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,574
    The charging port is less than a tenner to buy. I would just change it yourself. Recently changed the battery in my daughters iPhone 5, wasn't difficult. Its only a few more screws to get it out.

9. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I'm amazed they even mentioned repair.
    For anything more than minor repairs, I thought their SOP was just to hand you another one (and ask for £XXX of course).

10. markgodley

markgodley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Just watched a video online and does seem fairly easy, i'd need one of those screw drivers tho.

I'll go via the apple route first and see where i get, i'll use this as a last resort.
    Yeh, on my previous experience that seems to be the method they use. "oh it's broke, here's a new phone". Looks like a 5-10min repair so maybe they will repair it.

11. k17chy

k17chy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,574
    I got a tool kit when I opened up my daughters iPhone. Think it was about £3.

Attached Files:

12. Simian Sibling

Simian Sibling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    If it helps I took a iPhone 5c that was nearly 2 years old in. The home button didn't work well. Long story short they said it had a swollen battery.

When I queried and said that shouldn't have happened they booked me an appointment. Phone was checked and he confirmed the battery was swollen but it had water damage.

He didn't hesitate in giving me a reconditioned phone with 3 months warranty.

I wasn't the original owner and made that clear to them from the onset. It seems if your honest and see what they say first but then push them I'm sure you might get a good result......just to rub it in I bought the phone for £80 and was going to fix it myself but thought I would just see what Apple have to say....oh and they initially quoted £199 to fix\replace it

13. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,234
    Apple are usually pretty good with this kind of thing. Ask for an EU warranty claim form. (I think that's what they call it)

They replaced the logic board and GPU on my 4 year old iMac for free within a week a few years ago.

14. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,688
  15. markgodley

markgodley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    It's OK, took it to apple and they cleaned the charger port for me, all working as new again.. just loads of crap/fluff in the port - they used the sim injector metal thing to clean it.

Obviously be very careful anyone else trying this, i'd probably recommend something a bit softer i.e tooth pick

Same thing has happened to my 6+ and managed to clean it with a small toothpick.