Apple iPhone SE Review & Comments

Evinger

As I understood it, the appeal of the SE WAS its' small size. This is just another new Apple product trying to pretend it actually has anything to do with the name it carries.

Steven

Senior Moderator
@Evinger I assume your review is based on reading online reports this new model lacks haptic touch on notifications :p

Or was you referring to other deficiencies

Evinger

@Evinger I assume your review is based on reading online reports this new model lacks haptic touch on notifications :p

Or was you referring to other deficiencies
I refer to the size. The originals were of a size, & there was a "like" (Many or few, I take no side) of that it was an iPhone that was perfect for certain hands / desires.
Produce a cheaper iPhone to introduce people into the iPhone World = good move
Use the name of an iPhone that stuck with a very specific form = not the best approach
There were, I understand, people looking forward to this upgrade - basically, same form, newer internals (Not necessarily cutting edge just upgrade).
EDIT: I actually pointed out the size thing in my post - why would you then mention Haptic Touch?

jambomakaveli

Am I missing the point about portraits why is an animal one different to a human. Nice looking dog by the way.
I have no clue!

I wondered that myself.

what’s different from a dog, And a really hairy guy with a lot of facial hair, lt would pick the human up ok. Lol.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Can anyone recommend a tempered glass screen protector for one of these or an iPhone 8.

I ordered one from Amazon, hundreds of good reviews, easy to apply, not a cheapo one as well, came with a frame to help apply it.

It doesn't fit the screen properly, it's designed for an iPhone 7 so doesn't take into account the slight edge curvature and leaves a Halo about 2mm all around the edge which will just peel and trap lint, hair etc.
Quite unimpressed with it.

Does anyone have a better recommendation?

TIA

Holylemon

I've an iPhone 7. Exclusively used for web browsing, Youtube, select few apps like paypal/ebay/spotify. No gaming what so ever. Also not taking photos where I need quality.

Will the app loading/switching times be much noticeable? iPhone 7 sometimes gets hot from having too many apps, will this alleviate that?

bongo123

why does a new iphone bring out idiots who immediately jump on it whilst simultaneously praising the Android gods?? You'd think grown men would know better.. as a Samsung Note10 user i personally think this is a great budget(ish) phone with a serious chip in it, there's nothing really to criticize other than a few minor nitpicks

LexDiamond

As I understood it, the appeal of the SE WAS its' small size. This is just another new Apple product trying to pretend it actually has anything to do with the name it carries.
It could be argued that the original SE was handpicked elements of the current spec in the previous generation body. That is exactly what the second version is doing. It probably is almost the same ethos from Apple’s point of view.

Flashy

Had mine a week now so thought I'd share my thoughts.

Overall, the phone's great – especially for the price. A definite improvement over the original SE, particularly in terms of speed. Opening apps, the camera, even unlocking with Touch ID is noticeably faster.

The set-up was great. Scan code on old phone's screen with camera, phone set up instantly and all apps etc. downloaded about 20 minutes later. Really impressive.

Since 2010 I've had an iPhone 4, 5s, orginal SE and now the new SE. And this is the first one I haven't had to get exchanged. The 4 had a small shard of metal under the screen (Apple's own diagnosis, they had no idea how it would have got there), the 5s had a scratch on the case and the original SE had a screen issue.

I did have an issue related to the screen, in that while scrolling black text went green and blurry. My wife couldn't see it to any great extent so quite possibly my eyes and could well have been something I'd have got used to. Thankfully, a little tweak to Colour Filters (Apple acknowledging the 'u' in colour is another nice touch) sorted.

Still getting used to the slightly larger size but it's not a problem. And my old SE's screen looks tiny by comparison – much like the iphone 4's did when I moved the 5s.

Bought a Spigen Neo Hybrid case, equivalent to the one I had for the old SE, and that's quite nice. But found it seemed to get a fair bit of dust from pockets around the edges. So got an Apple silicone case from Amazon, reduced to £25. Don't think I'd have paid the RRP of £40 but it is nice. Will swap between the two, I think, but prefer the Apple one (and should do, it was twice as expensive).

Also bought a Belkin wireless charger for £15. Not really necessary but the technology is new to me and it's pretty cool. Nice not to have to reach under the table to find the cable, too.

It was last charged fully at 15:52 on Wednesday, apparently. I've used it normally since – Safari browsing, podcasts, reminders, a few phone calls, texts, etc – and it's still got 11 per cent left at 9am today (Friday). Will see if it gets to 48 hours. My old SE wouldn't last half a day with the same usage.

So overall... I don't need the latest and greatest, looks wise. I don't need every bell and whistle. I'm glad I didn't jump to an iPhone 11, size-wise, and I'm never going to spend a grand on a phone. For the price and as someone already embedded in Apple's ecosystem, I'm happy.

Last edited:

tazg101

Can anyone recommend a tempered glass screen protector for one of these or an iPhone 8.

I ordered one from Amazon, hundreds of good reviews, easy to apply, not a cheapo one as well, came with a frame to help apply it.

It doesn't fit the screen properly, it's designed for an iPhone 7 so doesn't take into account the slight edge curvature and leaves a Halo about 2mm all around the edge which will just peel and trap lint, hair etc.
Quite unimpressed with it.

Does anyone have a better recommendation?

TIA
On macrumors there is a discussion regarding screen protectors. Looks like there is a slight difference in the screen and all protectors are showing the lift on the edges

BM08

Had mine a week now so thought I'd share my thoughts.

Overall, the phone's great – especially for the price. A definite improvement over the original SE, particularly in terms of speed. Opening apps, the camera, even unlocking with Touch ID is noticeably faster.

The set-up was great. Scan code on old phone's screen with camera, phone set up instantly and all apps etc. downloaded about 20 minutes later. Really impressive.

Since 2010 I've had an iPhone 4, 5s, orginal SE and now the new SE. And this is the first one I haven't had to get exchanged. The 4 had a small shard of metal under the screen (Apple's own diagnosis, they had no idea how it would have got there), the 5s had a scratch on the case and the original SE had a screen issue.

I did have an issue related to the screen, in that while scrolling black text went green and blurry. My wife couldn't see it to any great extent so quite possibly my eyes and could well have been something I'd have got used to. Thankfully, a little tweak to Colour Filters (Apple acknowledging the 'u' in colour is another nice touch) sorted.

Still getting used to the slightly larger size but it's not a problem. And my old SE's screen looks tiny by comparison – much like the iphone 4's did when I moved the 5s.

Bought a Spigen Neo Hybrid case, equivalent to the one I had for the old SE, and that's quite nice. But found it seemed to get a fair bit of dust from pockets around the edges. So got an Apple silicone case from Amazon, reduced to £25. Don't think I'd have paid the RRP of £40 but it is nice. Will swap between the two, I think, but prefer the Apple one (and should do, it was twice as expensive).

Also bought a Belkin wireless charger for £15. Not really necessary but the technology is new to me and it's pretty cool. Nice not to have to reach under the table to find the cable, too.

It was last charged fully at 15:52 on Wednesday, apparently. I've used it normally since – Safari browsing, podcasts, reminders, a few phone calls, texts, etc – and it's still got 11 per cent left at 9am today (Friday). Will see if it gets to 48 hours. My old SE wouldn't last half a day with the same usage.

So overall... I don't need the latest and greatest, looks wise. I don't need every bell and whistle. I'm glad I didn't jump to an iPhone 11, size-wise, and I'm never going to spend a grand on a phone. For the price and as someone already embedded in Apple's ecosystem, I'm happy.
I hate silicone cases, while they feel lovely in the hand and look nice, whenever you put the phone down on a surface that might be abit dirty/dusty, it picks up bits like a magnet. For example I put my phone down on the dinner table after eating breakfast, when I picked up my phone there was bread crumbs from my toast stuck to it!

I always get the rubber TPU type ones now, rubber feel to them and flexible, most importantly dirt doesn’t stick to it!

Flashy

I hate silicone cases, while they feel lovely in the hand and look nice, whenever you put the phone down on a surface that might be abit dirty/dusty, it picks up bits like a magnet. For example I put my phone down on the dinner table after eating breakfast, when I picked up my phone there was bread crumbs from my toast stuck to it!

I always get the rubber TPU type ones now, rubber feel to them and flexible, most importantly dirt doesn’t stick to it!
I thought that would be the case with this one but it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. And a quick blow or wipe on a sleeve clears it. It says silicone but I think it's hard plastic with a silicone covering and microfibre lining inside. It's nice. But obviously, at the moment, it's not exactly experiencing real-world use!

BM08

I thought that would be the case with this one but it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. And a quick blow or wipe on a sleeve clears it. It says silicone but I think it's hard plastic with a silicone covering and microfibre lining inside. It's nice. But obviously, at the moment, it's not exactly experiencing real-world use!
That’s alright then, and yeah being indoors all the time hasn’t given you the chance to test it out much yet!

MahaRaja

Would have considered it but the very thick top & bottom bezel ruins it and lower the screen real estate.

smiff

This is going to obliterate the budget market. The Android budget market is on notice.

Apple has now decided it'll make money from services rather than 'beautiful' hardware. This is a bold change in strategy. Every man and his dog can now afford an iPhone and get hooked in to the ecosystem, spending monthly sums on all manner of subscriptions.

I only use Android and Windows, so no bias here, but I think Apple have played a blinder at a time when one of the best Android budget manufacturers, OnePlus, decided it would go super premium instead. They've realised mobile hardware innovation has stalled and they can offer much more by throwing all their weight behind differentiating services.

I expect the new OnePlus to tank (they just don't have the brand power or cachet) whereas the iPhone to obliterate the market they once occupied. The irony.
I agree, the One Plus is a great phone but I think only the people who are into tech will know about it. The average person will buy an iPhone or S10. I used to manage a phone shop for several years and so many great phones didn't sell due to iPhone and Samsung Galaxy range.

smiff

When I say average I meant in terms of looking at high end devices. People will go with a brand they know rather than take a chance.

BM08

When I say average I meant in terms of looking at high end devices. People will go with a brand they know rather than take a chance.
Yeah I would never go for the “cheaper” or less known brands, even if they were better value for money

kenfowler3966

I have had work phones for years, and the old SE since it came out, so have never needed to buy my own phone. Now approaching retirement so have been looking for a phone to buy as my first owned phone. Have bought large and bulky Moto G7 power for my wife a few years ago, and other large screen ones for my daughter but hate the bulk of them and they don't easily go in a pocket.

Bought the 128Gb SE last week and I think it is great. Only slightly larger than old SE which I still have and use for work. Not everyone wants the bigger and bigger screen sizes, and I personally will never watch a film on it, I have a smart oled tv for that. Wireless charging is a boon as it sits on a stand so don't have to hold it during hours of whats app video use!

Having used the android system on previous works phones and on my wife and daughters phone, I think iphone is so much better.
At last they have seen the light and brought out a good performing phone in a sensible size which many like me have been waiting years for, at a realistic price of under £500.

meagabyte

Anyone who upgraded from an 8 to an SE can you confirm that they look identical?
Basically would the screen protectors and the covers for the 8 fit on the SE as well?
Im not sure the screen protector would due to the slight curve added in the SE but are the buttons and cameras located in the same place?

beechy06

Anyone who upgraded from an 8 to an SE can you confirm that they look identical?
Basically would the screen protectors and the covers for the 8 fit on the SE as well?
Im not sure the screen protector would due to the slight curve added in the SE but are the buttons and cameras located in the same place?
see post #60, seems there is a slight difference

meagabyte

see post #60, seems there is a slight difference
i did see that and thats why i mentioned the screen in my post but it was more the rest of the body. Volume and power buttons, camera positions. So would a case for the 8 fit this. Suspect will need to wait for a new screen protector to come out that accommodates the slight curve in the screen.

beechy06

i did see that and thats why i mentioned the screen in my post but it was more the rest of the body. Volume and power buttons, camera positions. So would a case for the 8 fit this. Suspect will need to wait for a new screen protector to come out that accommodates the slight curve in the screen.
Ah apologies, it certainly looks as though they are although not sure if this is down to the mm, just the Apple logo thats clearly been moved

meagabyte

Ah apologies, it certainly looks as though they are although not sure if this is down to the mm, just the Apple logo thats clearly been moved
Apple are crafty buggers. Last time they brought out phone that was identical in size and dimension down to the last mm, they changed the positions of the buttons every so slightly. JUST enough that made using an old cover useless. forcing users to go out and buy new ones (marketing gimmick to buy more stuff from them).

beechy06

Apple are crafty buggers. Last time they brought out phone that was identical in size and dimension down to the last mm, they changed the positions of the buttons every so slightly. JUST enough that made using an old cover useless. forcing users to go out and buy new ones (marketing gimmick to buy more stuff from them).
Yeah crafty from then, suppose whatever they are one thing is they’re not daft, money making machine!