Apple iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max Review & Comments

FergieB

Succinct review David. I’m half considering upgrading from 12 to 13 Pro. Pity it’s not in pacific blue though.

However, I’m wondering what the 14 will bring!

UMAR 3:16

Succinct review David. I’m half considering upgrading from 12 to 13 Pro. Pity it’s not in pacific blue though.

However, I’m wondering what the 14 will bring!
Or the 15? It never stops, I just went from an iPhone X to the iPhone 12 mini. For my use case it’s great. I’m not a heavy user I.e gaming, video but I use my phone all the time. I’ve had zero issues with battery. Was tempted by the 13 mini, I would have got it if it included pro motion which is only available in the pro line up which is a shame.

FergieB

Or the 15? It never stops, I just went from an iPhone X to the iPhone 12 mini. For my use case it’s great. I’m not a heavy user I.e gaming, video but I use my phone all the time. I’ve had zero issues with battery. Was tempted by the 13 mini, I would have got it if it included pro motion which is only available in the pro line up which is a shame.
Yeah that’s very true. For anyone experiencing fomo don’t worry as soon the 13 will be old hat!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
The 14 may have usb c and 120Hz (across all 14’s), but…it might not.
I’m still using the X which surprised me as I’m usually a 2-3 year upgrader, but even running iOS15, the X is still going strong. I am eyeing the 13 pro as I loved the X’s camera, good to see things have moved on nicely in that department.

I was all for getting an iPad Air to replace an ancient MacBook (newer a decade old) and an iPad mini (original) and now they go an release a new mini…but again, maybe wait for the 2022 Air…never ending but it’s good there is a lot of choice albeit expensive choices !

Thanks for the review David

Piosonic

Not a word about the lens flare and green blobs that have been the achilles heel of many previous generations, most notably the previous one. Is that a good sign or has the review been limited to technical specs (as no sample pictures are shown)?

gfreek

Another year another new iPhone and it’s the same “The Best iPhone Yet” With raving review’s across the board!

I’m getting bored of this with each version you get minimal upgrades, yet all the reviews would led you to believe it’s the best thing since slice bread! If you have an iPhone 12 there is no reason to upgrade to this yet people do, it still selling like hot cakes pre-orders are off the charts. I just can’t fathom this obsession that people have with a new iPhone when its more of the same??

For company that bangs on about courage they have no desire to innovate or simple thing as getting rid of that notch and take the iPhone to the next level. I really wonder what direction Steve Jobs would have taken with iPhone.

Anyway rant over and before anyone starts saying I’m a Apple hater, I’m not, have an iPad Pro 12.9 4th Gen, MacBook Pro and my last iPhone was iPhone X, currently using Galaxy Z Fold 3.

Davekale86

I’ve not long got the 12 mini and loving it but you can never keep up every year they bring out the next one with minimal differences,you buy at the time what you think is the latest one then boom 12 months later another one comes out can’t keep up gonna stick to my 12 for a bit might wait until the 20 is out haha

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Another year another new iPhone and it’s the same “The Best iPhone Yet” With raving review’s across the board!

I’m getting bored of this with each version you get minimal upgrades, yet all the reviews would led you to believe it’s the best thing since slice bread! If you have an iPhone 12 there is no reason to upgrade to this yet people do, it still selling like hot cakes pre-orders are off the charts. I just can’t fathom this obsession that people have with a new iPhone when its more of the same??

For company that bangs on about courage they have no desire to innovate or simple thing as getting rid of that notch and take the iPhone to the next level. I really wonder what direction Steve Jobs would have taken with iPhone.

Anyway rant over and before anyone starts saying I’m a Apple hater, I’m not, have an iPad Pro 12.9 4th Gen, MacBook Pro and my last iPhone was iPhone X, currently using Galaxy Z Fold 3.
Steve Jobs was not God and still would not have chased Android to have better screens etc.

I wish people would stop with the "what if Jobs was around". He started a revolution in a number of things, but that does not mean he could continue making huge innovations each time a new device would come out. If he and Jony were still around, we'd all be complaining a LOT more.

gfreek

Steve Jobs was not God and still would not have chased Android to have better screens etc.

I wish people would stop with the "what if Jobs was around". He started a revolution in a number of things, but that does not mean he could continue making huge innovations each time a new device would come out. If he and Jony were still around, we'd all be complaining a LOT more.
I'm not saying one person is better than the other I'm pointing out that they are two different people.

Steve was a visionary, a perfectionist, always striving to keep design and technology together. Apple under Tim Cook isn't quite like that because Tim Cook isn't so much a visionary or a perfectionist, he's a businessman it's about margin for him.

Let's not forget Steve used Apple products, a LOT... obsessed over details... no way he’d have been ok with that notch, bulging camera's with no symmetry etc.... The product lineup would be a lot cleaner.

D

Deleted member 795353

Nice review! I've previously never been interested in buying iPhones and my 2019 Android phone has an adaptive, high nit, 90Hz screen, is fast, has decent battery life and a decent camera. However, this is the first iPhone that I would possibly consider buying. I'm not going to. But it is the first one where I've looked at what it does and thought "now that's interesting".

What would give me pause for thought is the fact that the newer version of my Android phone came out a year ago very similar specs to this iPhone and my phone isn't even the best Android phone lol. I can't even confidently claim that the iPhone camera is the best any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I really can't believe anyone would spend this much on a phone.
It’s a device I use many times a day, pocket pc, does so many things, controls so many things and provides entertainment.
If you look at other pricey products (especially on this forum) it’s maybe not bad value compared to them. I don’t bother with my laptop in the evenings any more, phone does the job. My camera …remember those things, haven’t used it in years. I’m a simple user too, don’t use many apps or the phone to anywhere near its ability, I’m still thinking of investing.

If you step back and think over £1k for a phone, yes I agree, it’s mad, but if it’s £1k for a small pc, decent camera, remote control, fitness device, small tv, music player,many more things, oh and a phone…it takes the sting out of the price.

D

Deleted member 36193

But I use my £100 Android phone many times a day and it does all that.
And the grand I have left over does so much more.

3OXA

But I use my £100 Android phone many times a day and it does all that.
And the grand I have left over does so much more.
But you have flagship Android phones costing the same if not more! There are other iPhones in the lineup that can be had for much less or simply buy a previous gen used phone. Thing is, there is a market for people wanting the very best and last time I checked, sales ain't slowing up

My iPhone mini suits my needs perfectly and cost me £400 from here so £679 new!

Stonedofmoo

Agreed, the review says it's a big step forward, but it's not. The industry is stagnant and the devices have nothing further to offer but minor improvements to existing features while fads like wireless charging come and go.

Phones are impressive tech, but the constant releases is just a way of getting money out of customers; the truth is a phone from years back will do everything today's phone does, just maybe not as polished.

3OXA

My iPhone mini suits my needs perfectly and cost me £400 from here so £679 new!
I'm using a XS 512gb bought on here back in 2019 I believe at a cost of £575 and still going strong! I am however getting the itch to jump to 13 Pro Max :eek:

Agreed, the review says it's a big step forward, but it's not. The industry is stagnant and the devices have nothing further to offer but minor improvements to existing features while fads like wireless charging come and go.

Phones are impressive tech, but the constant releases is just a way of getting money out of customers; the truth is a phone from years back will do everything today's phone does, just maybe not as polished.
That’s when one’s self perseveration should kick in! Agree yearly upgrade is nothing necessary and phone has got to a point where it’s so good. The yearly upgrade now is a want and afford rather than a need! People keep buying, apple will keep selling, it’s simple! Me personally, I had the iPhone X for years now and just changed over. I feel 4 cycles gap is sufficient for change. Even then I bought from the forum and not apple prices as I feel it’s better value for money!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
The same price / model can be applied to many things. I’d love a new JVC projector, but at £12K…I don’t think so, but for some who have projectors around that price, the upgrade may be worth it even if it’s not too much of an upgrade. There are other models from manufacturers that are way cheaper that can do the same thing (image on wall), but won’t provide the same experience. Cars, TVs…the list goes on.

Buy what you can afford at the time and enjoy, the new model is round the corner. If you enjoy what you bought (and feel it is good value) you are less likely to want to upgrade the next year v buying something that “will do” and then the upgrade feeling kicks in sooner.

All flagships are expensive…they are flagships!!

Tim2049

These perennial 'updates' are laughable. As are the majority of Apple devotees who buy into this Emperor's New Clothes rubbish. Grumble, grumble...

jdevil

Distinguished Member
If you have an iPhone 12 there is no reason to upgrade to this yet people do,
Never understood this notion of having to update your phone every year. iPhone 12 should last at least 3-4 years before you even notice any slow downs.

Phones have stagnated across the board not just Apple. There isn't much between the S10, S20 and S21 apart from minimal upgrades each year.

TheViper101

Looks like a really impressive phone but not sure I could switch from my Android just because I'd miss the convenience of USB-C as all my other devices use it now (and the transfer speed increases) and I also love my always on display. So convenient to glance whether i've received a WhatsApp message etc. Apples support and longevity of the phones are second to none and are probably worth the premium price unlike Samsungs flagships for example.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Apple under Tim Cook isn't quite like that because Tim Cook isn't so much a visionary or a perfectionist, he's a businessman it's about margin for him.
Apple under Tim Cook have reached new heights though, they are making money than ever. Just last quarter they posted sales of $81 billion!!! So they must be doing something right.

neilybealy

i've had the 11 pro max for 2 years and the last few months i've felt it's too big for me so i've gone for the 13 pro. feels so much better in my hand, perfect size for me

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone