Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Review & Comments

Dave777

Mine arrives tomorrow morning from Apple to replace my 11. Camera quality is the main reason. The iPhone 11 cameras are excellent though. When the 11 came out the standard phone was the sweet spot compared to the pro/max but now it seems the Pro Max is the best combination if you can cope with the size.

McGherkin

I feel this is more of an advert for the 12PM than a review to be honest. And that's coming from someone who's buying one!

The cameras are only very slightly improved on the normal 12 and the 12 pro, with the only really noticeable difference being the extra zoom on the telephoto (Which, Apple, you should take notice of, other phones are offering 50x or even more zoom which means you can get shots you simply can't get on an iPhone), so if your only reason for getting a PM over a normal 12 or 12 pro then you are wasting your money. I'm also disappointed the battery doesn't provide that much life over the smaller models - you would hope for a more significant bump given the extra space. But otherwise it's definitely a good phone and looking forward to playing with it on Friday.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I feel this is more of an advert for the 12PM than a review to be honest. And that's coming from someone who's buying one!

The cameras are only very slightly improved on the normal 12 and the 12 pro, with the only really noticeable difference being the extra zoom on the telephoto (Which, Apple, you should take notice of, other phones are offering 50x or even more zoom which means you can get shots you simply can't get on an iPhone), so if your only reason for getting a PM over a normal 12 or 12 pro then you are wasting your money. I'm also disappointed the battery doesn't provide that much life over the smaller models - you would hope for a more significant bump given the extra space. But otherwise it's definitely a good phone and looking forward to playing with it on Friday.
I think the most optical zoom offered in a phone is 10x from Oppo and Huawei. Even though Samsung goes to 50x, the optical zoom is only to 5x. Think Apple prioritise portrait mode, which a 2x works well for.

McGherkin

I think the most optical zoom offered in a phone is 10x from Oppo and Huawei. Even though Samsung goes to 50x, the optical zoom is only to 5x. Think Apple prioritise portrait mode, which a 2x works well for.
Yeah I don't know why I wrote 50x to be honest. But a 120mm like Xiaomi is currently showing off would be nice. I'd personally rather the ultrawide was replaced with a longer telephoto with the standard wide made a little wider, say 18mm, with a portrait camera at 52mm and then a telephoto at 120.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
All four would be nice :D. I do agree with you though, I use the 5x lens on my phone a lot. But I don't take many portraits.

MahaRaja

I saw a battery comparison with other similar screen size Android phones and even with last year's 11 Pro Max on YouTube, and this model came out the worst.:(

Panavision

I saw a battery comparison with other similar screen size Android phones and even with last year's 11 Pro Max on YouTube, and this model came out the worst.:(
I have seen some comparisons and the battery life is pretty good for 24 hours general use.

Last edited:

Steven

Senior Moderator
"Worst" is not specific. If four models produce 11, 12, 13 and 14 hours to make up numbers, yes "11 hours" is 'worst' but the real equation for a buyer is whether 11 hours is sufficient and an acceptable tradeoff.

People buying an iPhone probably want an iPhone and all that it means with the Apple eco system.

It's not realistic someone would refuse to buy an iPhone because an Android has one hour longer battery life say. The hardware, software app compatibility, your other devices and devices of your family need to be factored in. And also cost, but see above you probably know if you want an iPhone or not

dante01

Distinguished Member
More battery life would be nice and it isn't something that Apple have excelled at in the past, but an Android phone doesn't fit into an Apple ecco system in the manner an iPhone does.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
More battery life would be nice and it isn't something that Apple have excelled at in the past, but an Android phone doesn't fit into an Apple ecco system in the manner an iPhone does.
On the Max, they usually beat the Android competitors from what I've seen on Youtube.

bogart99

Yes I may be old school but honestly a phone at £1k plus and most people are talking about the camera aspect of it. At that price get a cheap phone and a decent camera and save yourself some money. I remember the days one used a phone to make a phone call, and nothing else.:)

astirling

But the advantage is that with your phone, your camera is with you everywhere. When I had a seperate camera I only really took it to specific events

dts197

Distinguished Member
Battery comparisons are a waste of time. In real world use, nobody uses their phone like the tests.

And some people think all you can do with a phone is take pics? Interesting.

gfreek

Every year its the same "The best iPhone yet" with glowing reviews from everyone this is getting boring when in reality apple have been playing it safe and just making incremental updates rather than be brave and give some thing next level!

It just feels like the media give a free pass to apple if it was another brand churning out the same they would cry blue murder!

astirling

Other brands do chuck out the same. I think the days of quantum leaps on a phone are over now. It’s just gonna be faster processors, better screens and better cameras now. The next big thing probably lies elsewhere

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Every year its the same "The best iPhone yet" with glowing reviews from everyone this is getting boring when in reality apple have been playing it safe and just making incremental updates rather than be brave and give some thing next level!

It just feels like the media give a free pass to apple if it was another brand churning out the same they would cry blue murder!
It's the best iPhone every year because they make incremental upgrades.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'm under the impression that sales of the iPhone are declining because people simply do not replace their cell phone every year. Apple aren't rationing anything, they simply haven't anything monumentally different to add.

They even cut prices in China to stimulate sales there last year:

They still make money from iPhones, but it is a steadilly declining market and isn't the cash cow it used to be for Apple. Most people have a cell phone already and cannot afford to replace it every year, not even if it includes some new ground breaking feature or a fancy camera.

gfreek

Other brands do chuck out the same. I think the days of quantum leaps on a phone are over now. It’s just gonna be faster processors, better screens and better cameras now. The next big thing probably lies elsewhere
Well not necessarily look at LG with the Wing phone, granted it maybe not for everyone, and Samsung with their fold phone's. My daily driver is the Galaxy Z Fold 2 awesome phone it not as fragile as one would be led to be believed. I've been using it for over month like anyway other phone not babysitting.

And by the way I'm not a apple basher I did have an iPhone X and currently own iPad Pro and Macbook Pro

astirling

Hence apples drive toward services rather than hardware. We’re in the realm of incremental upgrades for all phones. Better cameras, better processors...but they still all run whatsapp and Instagram much the same as your previous phone. There really isn’t anything to add now.

astirling

Well not necessarily look at LG with the Wing phone, granted it maybe not for everyone, and Samsung with their fold phone's. My daily driver is the Galaxy Z Fold 2 awesome phone it not as fragile as one would be led to be believed. I've been using it for over month like anyway other phone not babysitting.

And by the way I'm not a apple basher I did have an iPhone X and currently own iPad Pro and Macbook Pro
I think what Apple have done well is work from what consumers want and design a product for that. There’s little point in going down the gimmick route. Like curved tv screens, folding phones will be something we look back at snd think ‘why?’. Innovation for innovations sake is pointless.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The next big thing will be a trend for retrospective phones. The iPhone will eventually evolve/devolve into the iNewton, made of rubber so that you can throw it for the dog.

57e14ceeb0ef976d008b6e4c.jpeg

There'll also be an SE version shaped like a ball of string for cat lovers.

Last edited:

gfreek

I think what Apple have done well is work from what consumers want and design a product for that. There’s little point in going down the gimmick route. Like curved tv screens, folding phones will be something we look back at snd think ‘why?’. Innovation for innovations sake is pointless.
I’m going to have to agree to disagree with you, yes some come companies come out with anything for the sake of it and in most cases they are gimmicks, poorly executed etc.... Not so with the Samsung Fold, I’m using one for over month and I cannot go back to normal slab phone, for me the Galaxy Z Fold 2 is actually two devices in one a Phone and Tablet and I think Microsoft with their Surface Duo is another game changer in how we use our phones. The coming years will be exciting for smartphones.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom