Quantcast

Apple iPad Pro (11in and 12.9in) Review & Comments

UMAR 3:16

Distinguished Member
I need a new iPad! Just thinking if it’s worth getting this or the 2018 model....

UMAR 3:16

Distinguished Member
Always had an iPad. Always will...

Evinger

We have two iPad Air twos. Have their place, but will never replace my iMac or MBP for work, as they are still phone-centric.
Example - if you use Folders for Business emails like I do, the mail app, & any variant I hve tried, the fact they don't collapse folders is an immediate killer for work.
I work in the Touring Live Music Industry - we all tried iPads, & they are still carried for certain tasks, but everyone I know went back to a laptop for Day to Day stuff

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
The recent launch of Staffpad on IOS has made my old iPad Pro 9.7” into a true music composition tool. On a 12.9” model I’ll be able to handle full orchestral scores much more easily, plus I can put all my sheets in to ForScore and effectivley replace carrying around loads of paper music. You can’t really read it on a 9.7”.

However, until we know where the economy is headed, I’m keeping as much cash as I can - plus i may be able to pick up a decent spec 3rd Gen model second hand.

A bit cheesed that you can’t use the Gen 1 pencil with the new models though.....

Kotatsu Neko

Not sure why but Apple really phoned this one in - it's virtually identical to the 2018 model and slower than the current iPhones. Rumour has it there'll be a real iPad Pro refresh later this year with up to date hardware.

In short, if you need an iPad now, buy a 2018 model. If not, wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
Not sure why but Apple really phoned this one in - it's virtually identical to the 2018 model and slower than the current iPhones. Rumour has it there'll be a real iPad Pro refresh later this year with up to date hardware.

In short, if you need an iPad now, buy a 2018 model. If not, wait.
Probably going to be 5G next model, but a Gen 3 will do what I need.....

Last edited:

MahaRaja

If you have the previous version, not worth it.
The display is identical, the main new feature augmented reality, is not many people would get excited about.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I bought the 2018 12.9 with the keyboard. I’m absolutely smitten with it. I’ve been die hard Android for ten years but I am so impressed with how far the iPad has come. I had the original iPad so I can see from where it’s come. The multi tasking is terrific. File management and extendibility have come such a long way. I‘ve used it to edit some 4K video and using LumaFusion it’s a great experience. It can render colour grading adjustments in real time which is amazing for a tablet. I’m guessing there’s more power here than laptops that cost the same or even more. There’s an intangible fluidity to the whole thing. So much so that I’m even thinking of switching to the iPhone at the end of the year. That‘s how they get you I suppose.

Kotatsu Neko

Anyone think something like this could replace the MacBook Pro for the casual user?
Depends on your use case. If you need pro level apps, then no.

GreyMutton

It's more powerful than most laptops but most laptops, even good ones, are much less expensive. I know it's the same boring thing we all hear every time apple releases something.... 'it costs how much'? :laugh:
But, did I read that correctly? 350 quid for a keyboard attachment? Jesus wept.
Its a lovely bit of kit right enough and no other tablet maker has really managed to match it so it'll sell well.
The lidar sensor is really interesting too, curious to see it in action.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I’ve been using the 2018 pro for a year now and it hasn’t missed a beat. Nothing about the new model says upgrade to me.

joscejrod

Hello! I agree with almost all your conclusions (really great product), however I can’t understand how an A/V enthusiast can give 10 score to ipad pro current display. Of course true tone, promotion & color gamut rank high, but lack of HDR reproduction and poor contrast compared with Super Retina Displays (oled) included in iPhones should decrease that score in 2020.
Even Apple knows there is margin of improvement in this regard, because main new feature expected (and leaked) for next generation is mini-led display. I suppose avoiding oled could be related with much higher cost (keeping 120hz refresh rate) or possible burn-in with ipad normal uses.
This is only my humble opinion. Don’t you agree?

Kotatsu Neko

Hello! I agree with almost all your conclusions (really great product), however I can’t understand how an A/V enthusiast can give 10 score to ipad pro current display. Of course true tone, promotion & color gamut rank high, but lack of HDR reproduction and poor contrast compared with Super Retina Displays (oled) included in iPhones should decrease that score in 2020.
Even Apple knows there is margin of improvement in this regard, because main new feature expected (and leaked) for next generation is mini-led display. I suppose avoiding oled could be related with much higher cost (keeping 120hz refresh rate) or possible burn-in with ipad normal uses.
I have a 2018 iPad Pro, which has the same screen as this new minor update, and I have to agree. The screen is fine for reading web pages, and its 120hz which is nice, but for watching video...? It's pretty terrible. Black levels are truly awful and whilst Apple claim it has HDR, the peak brightness isn't that high and the lack of any local dimming pretty much kills any sort of punchy contrast. An iPhone screen is far superior, although of course they too lack high peak brightness (and they're only 60hz too).

To make matters worse, when watching HDR content the system brightness control isn't overridden, so unless you have it on maximum brightness (which you're unlikely to do for battery life reasons) then video will be even dimmer.

I like the iPad Pro in general, - it's a great way to browse the web on the sofa, but nobody should be watching movies on it. Perhaps Apple know this too, as they don't even stream 4K content to iPad Pros from iTunes. (it's capped at 1080p)

MahaRaja

If it was a mini-LED display, I would buy it. Even though I don’t have the previous version of it. The fact that they haven’t bothered to change the display in 2020, showed the arrogance of Apple but cannot see many people upgrading from the last version of Pro. However I agree Apple has the Tablet market sewn up and there is no direct rival and it’s the best tablet out there.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I have a 2018 iPad Pro, which has the same screen as this new minor update, and I have to agree. The screen is fine for reading web pages, and its 120hz which is nice, but for watching video...? It's pretty terrible. Black levels are truly awful and whilst Apple claim it has HDR, the peak brightness isn't that high and the lack of any local dimming pretty much kills any sort of punchy contrast. An iPhone screen is far superior, although of course they too lack high peak brightness (and they're only 60hz too).

To make matters worse, when watching HDR content the system brightness control isn't overridden, so unless you have it on maximum brightness (which you're unlikely to do for battery life reasons) then video will be even dimmer.

I like the iPad Pro in general, - it's a great way to browse the web on the sofa, but nobody should be watching movies on it. Perhaps Apple know this too, as they don't even stream 4K content to iPad Pros from iTunes. (it's capped at 1080p)
It doesn't have a 4k screen so would be a bit pointless. I agree that no one should be watching films on any mobile device. And those that do likely won't be people that really care about black levels and dimming zones.

Evinger

Same with the Mac Computers - my iMac & MBP will only show 1080p. I believe that the ATV 4K is the only Apple device allowing 4K iTunes product

MahaRaja

people watch movies & Tv content on their phones and you are suggesting they shouldn’t watch it on much bigger screen IPad.:facepalm:

Kotatsu Neko

people watch movies & Tv content on their phones and you are suggesting they shouldn’t watch it on much bigger screen IPad.:facepalm:
Of course they do, but if they had any taste, they wouldn't. This is a forum for high end AV fans, what did you expect?

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded