Apple in 2009

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by krlock3, Feb 12, 2009.

1. krlock3

krlock3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    So far, a pretty terrible start....

* No more macworld... the reason why at new years eve, i could look forward to January!

* Temporarily we hope, no more Steve..... we wish him well.

* Temporarily we hope, no exciting products whatsoever... lets face it, all we got this year was a 17 inch macbook pro (massive yawn), and ilife09.

Does anyone remember last year... during january and february, it seemed like every single tuesday the apple store would go down, and something, even if not that great, would be released.

Apart from for the boring macworld expo, the apple store has only gone down once... which was for routine maintenance... no new products were posted.

Apple watchers know that apple also released a flyer at macworld expo saying "The best is yet to come". Thats more than a tacit admission that the expo was indeed quite pathetic...

So lets hope the best is indeed yet to come.... what can 2009 bring us?

2. sackboy

sackboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A recession whereby no one can afford any apple products:thumbsdow

3. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    I think most people lose sight of what is the core of Apple business. They make pretty computers and tend to innovate in design but ultimately Apple is about software so the fact that iLife centre staged isn't a bad thing. Don't forget there's a completely rewritten OS due this year that's not something to sneer at. Releasing a new version of the OS every 12-18 months is not to be dismissed, you don't see it on any other major platform (OK I mean Windows...). After Snow Leopard launches there will have to be a rewrite of all their apps to optimise performance.

I agree it wasn't very exciting but then January is the worst time of year to do anything exciting on hardware just after you've sold a shed load of kit at Xmas and the previous semester. What greater slap in the face is there, especially to newbies, than their gear is last gen already? They won't understand that there's at best a marginal difference.

The twice yearly revisions of most products for CPU tweaks will continue as usual. The past 18 months since the iPhone (and the increased media focus on Apple because of it) has been rather busier than usual. The business environment is very different to a year ago - Apple can afford to continue the R&D but don't expect the same rate of release.

4. krlock3

krlock3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Microsoft is ultimately about software, not Apple.

Apple is about the whole package... not just software. Obviously software is critical, but it is the combination of software and hardware that makes them what they are today.

Yes, we have snow leopard on the way, if it doesnt slip... leopard slipped quite a bit, if you recall. But apple have repeatedly emphasised that snow leopard will be a very incremental release... performance over features... no bad thing of course... i think thats great.

but... "the best is yet to come"?

Personally, I hope that means a major update to the iphone, both in hardware and software terms... Im very happy with my current iphone, but i can always wish, right?

Also, I would like to see a 30" version of the recent cinema display.

5. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    ACD interest me less than PPC Macs...

Apple's move to Intel made it even more about software - now its possible to make direct comparisions on price because of hardware components. How many peopled have whinged for years about the GPUs in MacBooks and Minis and iMacs? The essence of using a Mac is OS X now more than ever.

Microsoft make excellent hardware. Odd isn't it?

6. krlock3

krlock3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yes they make mice and keyboards, thats true.

obviously i would like to be surprised beyond a new ACD. I was just stating that I would like to see one in any case.

Good point about intel allowing direct price comparison... indeed it does show up some of the premium that apple spreads on top... but there are other tangibles and intangibles to consider.

Buy me a state of the art vaio laptop and tell me i can have it for free if i stop using my apple products... and i would say no thanks. I would guess the reason why would be 80% operating system and 20% design / functionality.

7. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Ditto.

8. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I think this would be a good thing for all concerned. Quite a lot of the recent changes have struck me at least as being fairly superficial. If the changes happened every couple of years or more, then maybe I'd pay more attention to them and be prepared to shell out for the new models, because they'd be demonstrably worth it. But the annual or six-monthly tinkering with trivial changes in CPU that are only of importance to an obsessive with a stopwatch, adding a couple of gimmicks to an already acceptable programme, etc, really don't fill me with the urge to buy upgrades.

9. Kieron

Kieron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,149
    New iPhone...

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,600
    The show goes on without Macworld (pun unintended)

Could not care less how products are announced

11. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    I too would like to see a new iPhone (and not just a size increase)

12. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    I don't think the primary motive behind the CPU tweaks is Apple considering them "new models" its mostly down to Intel with its constant improvements in CPU production and the progressive speed increases resulting in falling prices at the factory gate.

In fairness to Apple they do tend to hold press announcements for new models but CPU changes just get released into the channels without pre-announcement.

13. Alan1975

Alan1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope to god they bring out a revised mac mini soon so I can upgrade my G4 733mhz, it starting to show its age :eek:

14. krlock3

krlock3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would like to see an even larger screen while decreasing the overall size of the device.

I would also dearly love to see a 52" apple television with webcam that networks automatically to ichat, and a multi touch screen remote control.

wishful thinking i fear.