Apple iMac or Macbook with iMac screen?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Xstyle, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Hi all,

I am fed up of PC's and laptops, and have put off buying a 'proper' Apple for years! (PC is slow, even when fairly new and rebuilt etc, and the virus software is always annoying and cumbersome!)

I have an iPad and iPhone, and will compliment the set too... (also have a dedicated server running WHS 2011)

My question is:
    a) Do I buy an iMac?
    b) Macbook Pro (or Air) with a docking station (is there one?), connected to an iMac screen only?
    c) other?

I understand that once purchased, you cant upgrade anything, so what difference does it make which option I take (just cost?) If I get the iMac screen, then perhaps I dont need a MBP, a smaller MacBook will do??? Yes, I am so confused!

Ease of usability with Option B is apparent; mobility, and can then dock when working in my home office. Won't be taking it to work, as I have my PC there, and iPad for mobile use.
    No games.... TV would be good (I asked questions on Eye TV in 2009, but didn't buy anything so forgot now!), linked to WHS, AirVideo, Handbrake ... and light photo use, and movies.

Mac - Buy Apple Notebook and Desktop Computers - Apple Store (UK)

Pro's and con's please? :lease:
    Many thanks,
    Xstyle

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Who else has a MacBook and docks to an iMac screen, or even other screen such as a TV?
    Thanks

3. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Hi,

I've just replace my mid 2011 iMac 27" (I had a refund from John Lewis after they deemed it was beyond economical repair, long story) with a 15" MacBook Pro Retina. Brilliant piece of kit.

APPLE 15" MacBook Pro MC976B/A With Retina Display Laptop Deals | Pcworld

I was going for another iMac but after some debating I decided on the Pro and plan to add a large screen later as I think, for me, makes a more flexible setup. Don't think I can justify the £899 Thunderbolt screen, might just as well buy another iMac.

I have quickly tried the Pro with my TV and looks pretty good.

Hope that's been of help.

Dave.

4. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Whats your budget? Personally I would get a 15" retina MacBook Pro and thunderbolt display or other high quality 2560 x 1440 display so you take advantage of the lovely retina MacBook Pro screen. That way you can also plug it into your tv for example and just the portability of it. As you don't always feel like sitting at a desk on the computer. I like sitting on the sofa or bed with my MacBook Pro and just chilling doing some light internet browsing and playing abit of music. Referring back to the desk when I've got actual work to do.

Once you go Mac, you won't go back.:smashin:

5. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
  6. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Hi,

Sorry for doing a bit of highjacking but any suggestions on Monitors besides the thunderbolt display. At a pinch budget up to £500.

7. davemulheran

davemulheran
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Having now a macpro retina 15, macbook air 11 and a mac mini as well as our 24" 3.06 iMac.. im considering selling the iMac and getting a 27" display and a dock!

Are there docks for the 15" retina macbook pro's yet?

8. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Thanks!!
    The UK version website has the same prices, but in £ instead of $, so making it more expensive (but I guess hiked up to allow for the customs charge?)
    http://www.transaction-one.com/stores/page_code_forward.do?pubID=8549&pageCode=HOME_CUSTOM

This site says "coming soon"

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  9. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176

This one always gets good reviews mate, Dell seem to have a really good reputation across all their monitors infact. 2nd only to Apple it seems.

27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM Widescreen IPS Monitor - Black - Aria PC

You might even pickup a cheap Apple Cinema or Apple Thunderbolt display in the classifieds here.

10. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Thanks, was looking at the Dell Ultra. Think a bit searching around is in order:smashin:

11. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Yeah the Dell's are good, Aria are the cheapest for that it seems. I checked the price on Overclockers and it was over £100 more expensive. :thumbsdow

12. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    XStyle if you do go ahead and purchase the henge dock, if its possible to kindly write a review of it, I always thought about getting one; sounds fascinating having a laptop which becomes a desktop very convenient.

13. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Apparently the "M" model of the Dell U2713H is not the one to go for... reviewed here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/moni...es/1726931-dell-u2713h-first-impressions.html

What's the price difference?

14. RoadsterUK

RoadsterUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Xstyle I think this website is more appropriate for the Henge Docks in the UK than the one I initially gave:

MacBook Air Docking Stations

15. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
  16. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    I had a 27", 2011 iMac up until just before Christmas, when I sold it to a client who was desperate to get his hands on one.

My plan was to just get myself one of the new 27" iMacs, but I thought about it and decided to spend a little extra to give myself some flexibility and ordered myself a 2012 13" MacBook Pro from the Apple Refurb Store and a 27" Thunderbolt Display.

I also ordered a Rain Design mStand to put the MBP on:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-Design...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1362640516&sr=1-1

So I now get home, put my MBP on the stand, connect the TB cable and the charging lead (both of which are part of the TB display) and away I go. :thumbsup:

I now have the flexibility of a laptop, but the use of the TB display when I get home.

I'm really glad I went this route, I know it wasn't cheap, but the alternative I was considering (before I got the offer for my iMac) was to buy a MBP anyway to allow me to work away from home.

Perfect combo for me.

HTH.

17. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    That might actually suit me better than the mStand that I currently have.

The reason I got the mStand was that I thought it would be really useful to be able to use the MBP's screen as a "2nd monitor", but once I'd got it all set up, I realised after a while that I didn't even use the feature. :facepalm:

So, if I could connect the TB & MagSafe cables and the audio jack to the Henge dock, that would just leave the question of how to connect USB (3.0) devices to the MBP.

Presumably, the answer to that, is to get a USB 3.0 hub and connect that direct to the Henge dock?

18. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176

I think the henge dock comes with some usb extended cables that you plug into the MBP in the dock that come out the back to plug your peripherals into. Judging by the YouTube videos anyways.

19. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    The next question boils down to,

13 v 15 mbp ? Both retina of course.
    Bearing in mind my needs from the initial post... Thanks!
    Used with the henge dock, and additional screen, keyboard etc...

20. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    15". I find the physical size of the 13" screen too small, despite the high pixel count. I just couldn't live with it on a day to day basis personally.

21. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    What will be your usage away from home?

I went 13" because my use is short and sweet when out and about working, so the added cost of an extra 2" wasn't necessary (for me).

TBH, it's pointless asking others what you should get.

You need to judge for yourself in an Apple/similar store and then spend the most you can afford.

22. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I will go to the apple store... however my use away from home won't be much really, just if I go away once a month or so to do some work when at inlaws.
    Most times I am on the iPad, like now on the sofa watching a movie! Or on the train etc...

As an outside bet, I could also personally decide to do away with my work pc and take this in instead...
    Just easier with Numbers, doing work on excel etc... sometimes difficult on the iPad, and at mo I log into iCloud to work on the PC then always have to email myself again to get the spreadsheet back on the iPad... but then why carry the iPad and MBP at same time on the commute?

I'll read up on some threads that ask similar questions too... I guess specs are also important other than the screen size. Dual v Quad Core processors etc
    Also, I heard that the new MBP range is releasing in only 3 months, June? Worth waiting (as nearer the start of the new cycle)

http://macbookpro.macrumors.com/

?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  23. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd update you as regards to what Monitor I went for to use with my MacBook Pro 15" Retina.

Looked at various 2560x1440 displays but the Dell seemed to be the one to go for. Read lots of reviews regarding the pro's and con's of the "HM" and "M" models and in the end I chose the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM.

It really came down to finances and as Amazon were selling it for £434.00 I couldn't really justify the extra £160+ for the "H" model. Anyway with their returns policy you're not really taking much of a chance.

Arrived this morning and so far very pleased. No dead pixels and no light bleed as some have reported but if you view a black screen in a dark room then there is a very small amount but nothing you would notice in everyday use - manufacture date is December 2012 so perhaps some of the earlier ones did have a problem.

The screen is crystal clear and for the moment using it as it came out of the box, perhaps some tweaking once it has settled down. Connecting with a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable, again from Amazon, to get the full resolution and the HDMI connection also gives a good result at 1080p so using a games console etc will be okay. The OSD is very easy to find your way around and I've connected the USB lead supplied by Dell so the four extra USB ports can be utilized.

I managed to pick up an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Mouse for a snip on Ebay so I'm more than happy with the setup.

Thanks for all your help :smashin:

24. EDDIE1970

EDDIE1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I used to have a vista laptop got fed up with it running slow and the battery life wasntup to much defeated the object of buying a laptop to start with i have 21" imac love the big screen a lot better for surfing and using office than a laptop providing its just for home use and having only one cable its easy move about if needed and then i use my ipad for around the house and out and about does the job perfect.
    I think a tablet is a good option for mobile use better than a laptop for the average user depending on ure needs and a laptop or desktop for at home to do tasks that tablets are not good at i think thats the best combination
    If u have plenty space at home to put an imac i would by that but if not i would go for laptop.
    My old laptop i used to get hr and half out of the battery had to keep pluging it the mains defeated the object of a laptop but what ever u buy will be great

25. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    I've just had a thought about the Henge Dock...

My MBP is in a clear Speck case: Speck MacBook Pro 13 Inch SeeThru Satin Case - Clear: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

So I'm wondering if it would actually fit into the Henge dock, or whether it would need to go in 'naked'?

If it's the latter, then the Henge is useless to me, as I use the laptop away from my desk a lot and there's no way I'm taking the case on and off just to dock it.

26. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Hi Guys,

Reference my post above :23

All fine with the monitor until yesterday afternoon when I noticed the light bleed was getting worse :thumbsdow

I don't know if this is because it had been on for long period of time or what but have decided to return to Amazon.

Not sure what to do but I think I'll hang on and go for the U2173H.

Edit 25th March Dusted off the wallet and now have the Apple Thunderbolt Display. Perfect picture with no light bleed problems so why can't other makes do the same?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  27. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    So.... I still haven't bought anything! Getting fed up of the PC, but to be fair I have hardly used it.
    I want to do more creative things with images, make a bluray DVD from the family holiday & birthday videos etc ... I guess all more easier on a Mac than a PC?

I understand the new Mac Air's and MBP have the Haswell GPU... so I guess now would be a better time to buy! Able to last upto 14 hours battery life, almost double than previous models.
    When are the new Haswell MBP's released? The 13" Air is out now...

Interesting with the new Mac Pro coming out soon... still stick with the MBP & Thunderbolt or other screen? I think it will mainly be for home use.
    Apple (United Kingdom) - Mac Pro

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  28. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    If its for home use only, why not wait and just get a Haswell iMac?

Otherwise you're gonna end up with spaghetti junction of wires.

Macbook to external screen. external blu ray writer to macbook, wired/wireless keyboard and mouse to operate mbp when connected to screen. then power cables all over.

I'd rather just have an all in one solutuon, but maybe thats just me because i hate wires and mess.

29. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I do too... hate wires! Haswell iMac? Sounds good... but when is the question? But wires can be hidden on a desk, my "office" is in the loft. Back to the old argument if I will ever take the rMBP out? Due to having an iPad and soon to probably buying an iPad Mini 2 when released, and Nexus 7.2 imminently... (released next week!)

All will come down to price and SPEC too:
    1) Haswell rMBP & Thunderbolt ... and less wires, or at least tidy with the Hengedock?
    v
    2) Haswell iMac

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  30. Spudhead

Spudhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    If its just to sit in the office I'd get the iMac tbh, Haswell's are rumoured to be out within the next 2 months, but thats just rumours and nothings for certain. I presume they will release them around the same time as OSX Mavericks which is due this fall.

I prefer taking my iPad out tbh then doing work on the MBP when I get home. Im also waiting for Haswell iMac's to purchase one too for the office/study. MBP is what I use to take all over the house/garden.