Apple ID issues

Morning all,

My wife got an iPhone 11 from Vodafone in August and wanted to keep her number so was provided with a temporary number whilst she awaited the switch over. So she proceeded to setup the phone and created an apple ID etc and downloaded apps etc.

A week or so later she got her old number transferred over and this is when she had issues. The phone was asking for a new Apple ID as the old one was registered with the old number and apps didn't work or asked for a verification code to be sent to another number which was impossible as there number didn't work anymore due to the switch over.

So ever since then it's impossible to update apps as it's asking to verify the code which was sent to the number registered which as I said we cannot access. I've rang Apple support and they seemed Clueless because what they told me to do didn't work 🤷 does anyone have any idea what to do?

As she can't access bank apps or anything. Surely apple can just deregister or close the original apple ID? Is it not that easy?

dts197

Distinguished Member
I forgot to change my phone number once with Apple and lost access to my account. They can change the number over, you just have to speak to the right person. But it can take up to 30 days for this to happen.

I forgot to change my phone number once with Apple and lost access to my account. They can change the number over, you just have to speak to the right person. But it can take up to 30 days for this to happen.

Going to ring them again later as it's ridiculous that nothing can be updated just because we no longer have access to a phone number where the verification code is being sent. We have both apple iDs and know both passwords. To me, it should be as simple as deleting the saved number from the original apple ID and adding a new one or delete the original apple ID and all traces and continue to use the exsisting one which is currently logged into the store/phone.

dts197

Distinguished Member
Going to ring them again later as it's ridiculous that nothing can be updated just because we no longer have access to a phone number where the verification code is being sent. We have both apple iDs and know both passwords. To me, it should be as simple as deleting the saved number from the original apple ID and adding a new one or delete the original apple ID and all traces and continue to use the exsisting one which is currently logged into the store/phone.
It's a form of 2FA. At least you know your Apple ID can't easily be accessed by someone else. I too knew my password and 3 security questions, but because I didn't have the phone number I had to give all relevant details and wait. Think it took around 11 days for mine to complete.

It's a form of 2FA. At least you know your Apple ID can't easily be accessed by someone else. I too knew my password and 3 security questions, but because I didn't have the phone number I had to give all relevant details and wait. Think it took around 11 days for mine to complete.

Did you just ring the standard number on their support page?

BM08

As said, very frustrating, but it’s all about security isn’t it.
Let us know how you get on and who you spoke to.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom