Apple HomePod

Hey Siri, tell me a joke. “The past, present and future walk into a bar. It was tense”! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Well by the very fact you have to have another iOS device to use it plus an Apple music service. Where does it end? I want product freedom not walls.

Since I've started dismantling my reliance on Apple it's felt like a blast of fresh air. But hey it's your money to spend and if the Apple business model suits you then that's fine.

But if you take away Apple Music and integration with my other devices then to me the device wouldn’t have the same appeal/functionality. It simply become a powered wireless speaker.

So many alternatives to choose from if that is what someone wants. But let’s not even begin to pretend that it is the same and the same experience. That’s like cutting a few windows into a ford transit and throwing a mattress in the back and calling it a campervan, opposed to buying a Winnebago :)

I think I’m going to go for it. In the long run while I can sit in the sitting room and listen to my lovely STD1 speakers I could do with something upstairs when I’m chilling and it will be interesting to see it grow.

Step down from Sonos playbar? Most definitely not. No way. From what I've heard of that one, and auditioned definitely not. That is not to say the sonos PlayBar isn't good for TV type stuff.

Hmm! so you think the HP is a match for the Sonos?

£700 Playbar has nine amplified speaker drivers—six mid-range and three tweeters
£700 sub has two Class-D digital amplifiers, two force-cancelling speaker drivers and dual acoustic ports.

Don't audition one, get the setup home and then before you switch on tie down your curtains and bolt your furniture to the floor. The sound stage is incredible with zero vibration or distortion.

Yes I'm afraid the HP would be a step down from this and the beauty of it is I can play all my iTunes music through it using an app on my phone, tablet or computer, or if I got an 'Echo Dot' then with voice control.

For my needs that is a much better solution than tying myself to Apple. As you say though, to each his own.

Hmm! so you think the HP is a match for the Sonos?

£700 Playbar has nine amplified speaker drivers—six mid-range and three tweeters
£700 sub has two Class-D digital amplifiers, two force-cancelling speaker drivers and dual acoustic ports.

Don't audition one, get the setup home and then before you switch on tie down your curtains and bolt your furniture to the floor. The sound stage is incredible with zero vibration or distortion.

Yes I'm afraid the HP would be a step down from this and the beauty of it is I can play all my iTunes music through it using an app on my phone, tablet or computer, or if I got an 'Echo Dot' then with voice control.

For my needs that is a much better solution than tying myself to Apple. As you say though, to each his own.

A sound bar is a totally different proposition than what a HomePod is. If you are after a sound bar then by all means get one. To me it is a compromise as it doesn’t do what a discrete surround sound setup does, nor is it small enough for a supplementary audio solution.

What I really like about the play bar (unlike other sound bars.) is the integration within a 5.1 setup with other Sonos speakers. But even then it’s a compromise as there is limited inputs and sound compared to another home cinema setup.

I wouldn’t dream of putting such an unwieldy box on my kitchen work top. Or on the dressing table in the bedroom to name two typical HomePod locations.

A sound bar is a totally different proposition than what a HomePod is. If you are after a sound bar then by all means get one. To me it is a compromise as it doesn’t do what a discrete surround sound setup does, nor is it small enough for a supplementary audio solution.

What I really like about the play bar (unlike other sound bars.) is the integration within a 5.1 setup with other Sonos speakers. But even then it’s a compromise as there is limited inputs and sound compared to another home cinema setup.

I wouldn’t dream of putting such an unwieldy box on my kitchen work top. Or on the dressing table in the bedroom to name two typical HomePod locations.

I already have the Sonos, I thought you had realised this. I don't want music elsewhere, other than our lounge and in our office where we have a small 2.1 system, which is adequate for that space. In addition I also have a Denon system, which incorporates an iPod dock.

However, since getting the Sonos setup I rarely use the Denon now. Having the Sonos app on my phone where I can immediately see all my music folders is so much easier and because the Sonos is all wireless playing music tracks is simplicity itself.

You mention integration but I can't see how the HP is any better than Sonos in that respect. For those who do want 'voice' then an Echo Dot solves the issue currently, although Sonos has said it's working on bringing Google Assistant to Sonos soon.

Why do people criticise tech items simply because it doesn't suit their needs?

They then enter into a debate as to why it doesn't, expecting others to suggest it does.

Belligerence.

Faust, may I suggest you have considered the HomePod and concluded it doesn't suit your needs?

Faust, may I suggest you desist from continually posting in this thread telling us why it doesn't suit your needs?

Faust, may I suggest you find a thread where something suits your needs and post there?

Thanks Faust.

My brother in law invited us over today, turns out he wanted to show off his new Apple Home hub (He's Apple through and through). He couldn't keep the grin off his face when we walked in and did the reveal within 2 minutes of arrival.
It is a very nice looking piece and sits well in his lounge. We had the full demo, different genres of music at various volumes etc etc.
Now I will admit that it's a very good sounding speaker, however, I think some are over egging the pudding and elevating it a bit. That said, If I hadn't given up on the iPhone and apple a few years back, I would want one for day to day use.
The kids are happy as they have iPhones, but woe of woes, his wife is a Galaxy user.....So she's not happy with the spend...:(:)
I'm sure Siri will catch up with other AI's eventually,
I have Ruark MR1 Mk2s + Chromecast in the lounge, for general listening and I don't think the HP would replace those (nor the Google Max).
I know I'm not their target market, but I may have bought a homepod for the bedroom and replaced the speaker in there had they just added an Aux-in. It would have looked so nice. sigh.;)

Faust, may I suggest you have considered the HomePod and concluded it doesn't suit your needs?

Faust, may I suggest you desist from continually posting in this thread telling us why it doesn't suit your needs?

Faust, may I suggest you find a thread where something suits your needs and post there?

Thanks Faust.

Ah! you don't want a discussion other than from like minded individuals - okay, I get it. I will post in a thread where a discussion can be had. Say no more.

Ah! you don't want a discussion other than from like minded individuals - okay, I get it. I will post in a thread where a discussion can be had. Say no more.

Surely the discussion has ended. You’ve told us what you think and have had a response from those that own the product.

We have established that the HomePod doesn’t meet your needs, so maybe check out some threads on products that might instead.
No-one is going to change your mind (I’ve seen enough threads you’ve either started or added to), your comments haven’t changed anyone else’s. Bleating on over and over again will just be seen as trolling.

Last edited:
Can't be bothered to read everything. So to some up -
This is a very good sounding speaker and at a fairly reasonable price.
It is a useless product unless you are 100% an Apple user.

Can't be bothered to read everything. So to some up -
This is a very good sounding speaker and at a fairly reasonable price.
It is a useless product unless you are 100% an Apple user.

Yes. For now, I’m sure they will open it up in the future - the first iPod was Mac only too

Yes. For now, I’m sure they will open it up in the future - the first iPod was Mac only too
I'm disappointed Apple have ring fenced the speaker. It's difficult to see how they will open up the speaker in the future. It really required Bluetooth 5.0, and I can't see Apple making the HP a Chromecast or Spotify device. Maybe the HP2:)

I'm disappointed Apple have ring fenced the speaker. It's difficult to see how they will open up the speaker in the future. It really required Bluetooth 5.0, and I can't see Apple making the HP a Chromecast or Spotify device. Maybe the HP2:)

It has Bluetooth 5.0, it would seemingly only need a software change to enable its use

IMG_1116.JPG

Anyone else having problems with podcasts? Hey Siri play podcasts results in you are not subscribed to any podcasts.

My podcasts sync between my iMac and my phone no problem.

HomePod doesn’t tie you into Apple as as I’ve just discovered you can just AirPlay streaming services to it. Just tried Deezer and Spotify. Works fine.

HomePod doesn’t tie you into Apple as as I’ve just discovered you can just AirPlay streaming services to it. Just tried Deezer and Spotify. Works fine.

In that respect it is just the same as an Echo or Sonos. All of these devices unfortunately don't play nice with each others services from a voice command point of view.

That is good news as a subscriber to Deezer [emoji106]

As someone deep in the apple eco-system I'm very tempted, but then again I've already got a fair bit of alexa kicking around and a sonos one, which I know isn't as good, but...

It would be better if apple also produced little puck siri satellites, trying to teach my wife, in this room we use siri, but in those 2 it's alexa, is a bit of a nuisance.

In that respect it is just the same as an Echo or Sonos. All of these devices unfortunately don't play nice with each others services from a voice command point of view.

Alexa works fine with Spotify (never tried Deezer) - you don't need to faff about with other devices.

Alexa works fine with Spotify (never tried Deezer) - you don't need to faff about with other devices.

It doesn't work with Apple music though and in turn Homepod doesn't work with Amazon Music Unlimited. Sonos opening up Alexa is interesting. A shame Siri will probably never make an appearance on there.

I am happy with Apple Music having the voice commands through Apple TV to play on our main system is great so i'm not willing to compromise that.

As @witchdrash mentioned above the pucks would be ideal.

Is the HomePod still a good buy without Apple Music? I do have Deezer as it comes free with my car purchase and it would seem Deezer is HomePod compatible, how ever is Apple music still the better way forward? I’ve not tried Apple Music is it any good?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom