Apple HD TV: Rumour Round-Up of Apple TV

A.I.

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's anything new there. The speculation about an Apple television 'doing for TV what the iPod did for music' isn't right, either, in my eyes.

The iPod did change things, but it only changed how people did something. Listening to music on the move wasn't new, people were wandering about with Walkmans on their belts in the 1980s. Cumbersome, yes, and that's where the iPod came in. It was attractive and desirable, and brought portable players to more people as a result.

Same with the iPhone – mobiles had been around for a few years, but the iPhone improved on the concept and changed things.

The difference with a TV is that so many people have them already, and for so long. Apple changed portable music players and mobiles, but the industry was in its infancy compared to TV, were there are established products and established ways of watching programmes on them, which have evolved over many decades, rather than a couple.

Mobile phones and portable music were changed by Apple's moves. But I'm not sure TV can be, unless there's something that can be done with the concept that no-one's even thought of. The iPhone makes sense, it's useful to be able to do what you can on it. But I don't believe an iSight camera, gaming facilities or anything else mentioned will make enough people adopt it to allow for a revolution. Especially not at the prices quoted. A 'premium product designed to test the waters' just wouldn't work with television, because the waters are already infested, way more than the mobile phone and music waters were.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom