Apple Event on September 5th - Next gen iPod to be announced?

nbkicker33

Established Member
Reaction score
hi ive currently got a sony mp3 player, but since my windows pc broke a couple of weeks ago, i bought a macbook, but to get songs onto my mp3 got to use windows on mac using boot drive, was thinking of selling my sony mp3, and buying a ipod, but in last couple of months macbooks, imac etc have all gone upgrades, the iphone is out in usa and uk about xmas, what i dont want to do is buy a ipod now for in 2 mnths a revamped range of ipods to come out, does anyone no or heard anything about ipod range getting revamped or anything this year?

There's been a lot of rumblings about new ipods.

Apparently new nanos are going to also be able to play video but remain the same in capacity (4 and 8gb). Also rumours pf a larger flash based video iPod.

And then there's always the rumours of a touch screen iPod, that is basically iPhone without the phone function.

I can see the nanos being announced before Christmas, however I'm not sure on the larger iPods. Apple have a conference every Janurary when they announce new products. Last time it was the iPhone, maybe Jan 2008 it will be a new ipod?

Howvever if you have a look at the buyer's guide on Macrumours, then they say don't buy an iPod now. As the average upgrade cycle is 223 days, and the last one for the current video ipod was 333 days ago.

I guess it depends how desperate you are for an MP3 player, as you could be forever waiting.

yeah i no, but it akward with apple as they say nothing or give nothing away then next day there a unvieling and new ipod or something out, i was thinking that next step for ipod would be like the i phone with a touch screen.

My son just bought a 30gb ipod from play.com for £150. For that price it seems its just too good to pass up, £40 off. If the new ones are that much better then he can always ebay his and probably get most of his money back. This is the first time ive heard an ipod and im really impressed with the sound quality and ease of use. Just go and order one now, you wont regret it.:devil:

I have more or less the same problem - I have a 60Gig iPOD (bought when the 5th gen first came out almost 2 years ago), it is a great machine (never had a problem with it, battery life still good) and I would be lost without it however I need more space and don't know whether to go for an 80Gig player or hold on just a little for the new model (they must be due within the next few months, surely ?).

I suppose it's all just speculation as Aopple would never release and schedule for new releases.

I have more or less the same problem - I have a 60Gig iPOD (bought when the 5th gen first came out almost 2 years ago), it is a great machine (never had a problem with it, battery life still good) and I would be lost without it however I need more space and don't know whether to go for an 80Gig player or hold on just a little for the new model (they must be due within the next few months, surely ?).

I guess it depends how close to the the limit of your current player that you are. If you are very close, but an upgrade to 80GB would last you a couple of years then you may as well get one now if you can get a good price.

What other features do you need or want?

WiFi - for track purchasing, syncing, sharing and maybe streaming and internet radio would be nice.
Some people would also benefit from more than 80gb, especially people who watch a lot of videos, although i think that people who need more than 80 are in the minority.
I would also really like to see a built in FM transmitter, for use in cars and ad-hoc connection to peoples radio's.
Proper Mass Storage Mode would also be nice, but that won't happen - Apple don't wan't people moving away from iTune's, where the real money is made.

Adding those would make an almost perfect music device for me.

But i dont see the point in hanging around for it. I think more and more people often suffer a condition that i call (well, just made up) 'mobileupgraditus'. The mobile firms have done a sterling job of making us all want the latest mobile, in fact feeling inadequate with something thats more than 12 months old. I think the 30gig 5.5 iPod is good value for money right now. I will be buying one next month regardless of which generation it is :)

I suppose it's all just speculation as Aopple would never release and schedule for new releases.

I'd sit tight. Surely, with some careful selection of what you sync from iTunes to your iPod, you can nurse it through for some time to come.

I just want one that is much better with video - like to watch eps of South Park/Family Guy on the bus to and from work and it would be so much better on a much improved screen :cool:

We will almost certainly see a touch screen 120gb ipod with improved video capabilty in the next six months. I love my 5g 60gb. But you just know that the 6G will be awfully sexy. And I want to slowly migrate to lossless for music and will need the extra storage. If you can wait...I'd wait.

i'd wait personally. i would be surprised if a new ipod didnt come before the holidays. however if you need one now just get one now. apple usually has a 2 week grace period so you can return yours if a new one comes out also you can sell on ebay if you need the new one so bad :D

From engadget:

We've gotten a deluge of emails over the last week from readers and insiders speculating about the next iPod release; after all, it's been a couple months since Apple loosed the iPhone, the new iMac is official and living large, and current iPods have seen a price drop -- something that only comes strictly mandated by Apple HQ. What's more, sources at retailers are continuing to tell us that Apple is slowing down iPod shipments, strongly suggesting the company is running out its current stock to make room on shelves for new product.

We can't speak to what specific technology Cupertino's got brewing behind the scenes (we know it's OS X-based, and hear it'll use more flash), but whatever it is, we'd wager it'll be released in September or October. And not just because Apple's has taken to launching at least some new iPods every year since 2003, or admitted that it considers its iPhone business its "third", separate from its dedicated music player business (and thus wouldn't consider the iPhone its big iPod launch for 2007), or has just generally been mum about the iPod all year. It's more to do with the fact that since 2004 the company has statistically fallen into the groove of using those two months to launch new flagship iPods (probably thanks to their close-but-not-too-close proximity to the holidays).

Do we have inside dope from Apple on this one? No, none at all. Just a lot of retail reports and mounting evidence that suggests a pretty obvious conclusion. Yeah, we expect new iPods this year (seriously, why wouldn't there be?), and if we were gamblin' men we'd put our money on the September - October. Of course, we know Steve will totally read this and launch in November or December just to mess with us, but hey, as long as the masses get their music players before our annual present-opening ceremonies, everybody's happy.

I can remember when the 80Gb made its debut there was a lot of specualtion about shipments slowing and in some cases being unfullfilled about 2 months before it arrived. Looks like a "new" one is on its way. heres hoping its the 120GB touch screen wi fi so we can get all that lossless on it !!:smashin:

An interesting story from theregister claiming that a widescreen Nano will make its way before new ipods with an 'iPhone' design.

well for the moment keeping boot camp on my macbook so can go into windows to put songs on my sony mp3 player, gonna wait till xmas and then if nothing out by xmas buy myself what ever ipod out then as a xmas present. be cool if there is a touchscreen ipod realesed this year.

........and one more thing...........;)

tv programmes available on ITunes store.....

:clap:

The rumours have been there for sometime now, but it looks like that Apple will be announcing the next generation of iPod's next week on September 5th. The artwork of the invite leaves little doubt that the revamp of its MP3 player range will be announced.

appleinvite.jpg

Let the speculation begin!

'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'

Iphone - phone = new god-like video iPod (or iTablet if you wish)

:lease::lease::lease::lease:

Having just bought a Nano I hoe THEY don't change too much. Otherwise I might be making use of Amazon's 'I just don't want it any more' return. Not been used yet anyway.

With this, some wicked new Squeezebox remotes, HTC Kasier and the new TomTom version coming out soon - it could be an expensive Christmas this year at our house :(:):(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom