Apple Educational Discount

Rafe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello all

After the news that Apple are bringing out their new Macbooks on Tuesday 14th October, my girlfriend's brother wants one too for his college work.

1). What does he need as proof that he is in college?
2)/ Should I take him to a store or phone them up?
2). He is 18 but doesn't have a credit card so can he ask my to put it on my credit/debit card (even though we are not related? However, we will be May 30th 2010 which is my wedding day, lol).

Any thoughts would be very helpful. :smashin:

Dave

Last edited:
I presume he is registered at a sixth form college

He can use a debit card - the only spending limit on a card is what you have on the account ;)

We bought an iMac for "billy the kid" last year november... just logged in to the online apple education store ( link on main store homepage) entered the name of the college and bobs your uncle discounted prices then his gran entered her payment details and no problem he is now a mac user
HTH

Ned

You/he can get the 6% FE discount instore. Just need college id card. I was expecting funny looks when I walked into a store with my student id (I'm considerably older than the usual student demographic) but as long you can prove you're a student, you get the discount. I wouldn't think they're worried who actually pays for it. Plenty of parents buy stuff for their kids, the store won't expect him to pay for it personally. And just because you have a different name, doesn't mean you're not a step-parent/guardian. Don't expect the Spanish Inquisition.... (NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!..... I'll get my coat...:D)

You/he can get the 6% FE discount instore. Just need college id card. I was expecting funny looks when I walked into a store with my student id (I'm considerably older than the usual student demographic) but as long you can prove you're a student, you get the discount. I wouldn't think they're worried who actually pays for it. Plenty of parents buy stuff for their kids, the store won't expect him to pay for it personally. And just because you have a different name, doesn't mean you're not a step-parent/guardian. Don't expect the Spanish Inquisition.... (NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!..... I'll get my coat...:D)

I got a 14% HE discount instore just showed them my Matric card and they took a photocopy. Got the free ipod aswell.

I'm hoping to get a simlar deal this time when i get a macbook although i don't need the ipod as i've got an iphone now so will just sell it.

I got a 14% HE discount instore just showed them my Matric card and they took a photocopy. Got the free ipod aswell.

I'm hoping to get a simlar deal this time when i get a macbook although i don't need the ipod as i've got an iphone now so will just sell it.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/mac-hardware-os-software/824676-new-macbook-14th-october-08-a-11.html

I thought that you should be able to get the HE discount instore. Why would you not be able to???

btw I googled "matric" card and got "can I exchange it for food" :rotfl:

You can use anyones card to pay, does not need to be the students.
And HE get bigger discounts, what me LFC_SL are waiting to use on Tuesday afternoon ;)

Interesting, so if you go to Uni, you get an even bigger discount?

Yes look here for the two types of discounts: Apple Store (U.K.) - Student Discount

You can't see the uni prices unless your using your Uni network, but to check the prices, have a look here: Apple Store (U.K.) - Welcome to the Apple Store

If you know any of the follwing: "I am a university student, lecturer or other staff member at a UK university", then you could always ask them to order it for you :thumbsup:

Nope. I am going Imax on Tuesday to watch again Heath Ledger's masterful performance, r.i.p.

Not sure about getting uni students to buy kit for you. The idea of it is because Apple recognise we do have to save some of our loan for rent, drinking and general staying alive(!)

Not sure about getting uni students to buy kit for you. The idea of it is because Apple recognise we do have to save some of our loan for rent, drinking and general staying alive(!)

Tis true, but if a friend could get you into Anfield for a whole season for a hefty discount, would you feel bad in obliging? :smashin:

Not sure. Could do without the stresses that involves :rotfl:

My comment was more tongue in cheek as I need to work out rent+food+textbooks = how much is left over

May need to tap into the ISA :rolleyes:

just wanted to know this,
could you get discount on apple hardware as well????
using ur student card...

You can't see the uni prices unless your using your Uni network, but to check the prices, have a look here: Apple Store (U.K.) - Welcome to the Apple Store

If you know any of the follwing: "I am a university student, lecturer or other staff member at a UK university", then you could always ask them to order it for you :thumbsup:

That link lets you go all the way through to checkout :D

Last year I was able to buy my son's MBP from instore with the full Uni discount, just took his emrollment/UCAS letter along. In May, I rang Apple direct and ordered a Mac Pro (for myself) but again I was able to use my son's Uni discount, with all details on file at Apple, I didn't even need to provide any further proof.

Gazza

I doubt they ever check up, and lets face it its not like they are not making a huge profit even with the uni discount. Wouldn't be cost effective or worth it for them to even look into individuals. The link above at no time asks for any proof of being in education.

a quick question.
my dad is a lecturer,can i pay for with the discount & my apple login,or should i create a apple login for him & i pay????

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom