Apple Education Discount - is it for all?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by css_jay99, Aug 1, 2012.

1. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Trying to buy the MBPR 2.6Ghz, 16GBRam, 768GB HDD +apple care
    I have just gone through the apple website to price up, but going via the education option 3. I have gone all the way through with no restrictions....

There is about £220 savings via this route.

I am not a student but I guess I could be buying it for any of my cousins/nieces since my daughter is still only 8yrs old !

Is there anything wrong with that? or am I missing something

cheers
    css_jay99

2. PeterH988

PeterH988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I think you need some sort of proof somewhere in the process.

3. atki81

atki81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I called up and was advised that I could use educational discount as my partner is a teacher. They advised me that I could use my account but had to specify on the order who it was for (i.e.. my partner) and what their entitlement to discount was (i.e. teacher, student etc). They may/will then contact you to send in proof of that persons link to education. You wouldn't be able to use your daughter as she is too young, a college student with an nus card will work, but it is uni students/teachers who get the most discount. Hope that helps.

4. atki81

atki81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    PS. dont buy applecare direct from Apple. I got mine from Dixons at 30% of the price Apple wanted!!! It's just a code in a box that you enter on Apple's website to register.

5. ianbuckley

ianbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Just received my rMBP today ordered via the the education option. My daughter is a Teacher and I was going to use here payslip details as proof, but was not asked for any educational details. Received 8% discount and a £70 iTunes student voucher. :smashin:

6. johnboy586

johnboy586

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    You can purchase it online through the HE EDU store (links can be found quite easily via google which bypass the need to access the discount through a HE vpn) and they apparently do the occasional spot check but it's not extensive.

HE online discounts also qualify for a limited 3 year hardware warranty :)

7. Spoonhead

Spoonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    With a full HE discount I was getting 15% discount on a rMBP + apple care was just £60. Without apple care you still get 3yrs warranty on the laptop but only 1 yrs telephone support as a student offer. Effectively the £60 buys you 2 years telephone support. Personally I wouldn't bother, as I don't think I'v ever rung them.

All they wanted for proof was a photocopy/scan of my student ID card.

All this was done over the phone, but can also be done in store, but with no BTO options. I recently did this to upgrade my graphics card (in a mac pro)

Gazza

8. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The full spec i am interested in will cost £2858 so an 8% or 15% discount comes to quite a lot of money!.

I could get it via my niece who is at Uni or a friend who works at a uni.

The most important question is could they buy it online with my name & details?, I need the machine to be registered to be .... since i can also claim the VAT back from the taxman

cheers

9. willj12

willj12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Just checked the Apple HE store and your spec comes to £2,488.80.

10. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,356
    When I last bought some Apple kit, I waited until I visited my daughter at university, and logged onto the university network from her dorm-room.

I signed-on in my name, and paid for the goods with my credit card, and had the goods delivered to my home address.

Alternatively, take your niece to a bricks-and-mortar AppleStore, and show them her university/nus card to get the same discount as though she had logged onto her university's network (so long as you want a standard configured Mac, that is).

BTW, any accessory only gets you 11% discount rather than 14% on Macs.

11. johnboy586

johnboy586

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I just found the URLs for the UK HE Apple stores, ordered a MBPr under my name. Apple accepted the order without requesting proof, and shipped it with a£70 gift.

With that and Quidco it saved me nearly £400, plus if your not bothered about phone support then you get a 3 year limited warranty which is nearly the equivalent of £279 worth of a Applecare.

12. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Ok,
    so does it mean that the HE purchase comes with An apple care that excludes phone support?

cheers

css_jay99

13. bighfishing

bighfishing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    no it has 1 year phone support.

14. johnboy586

johnboy586

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    it's also limited, so it's not transferrable or available outside the UK.

15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,261
    You are extracting the urine now ;) makes certain you get a full vat receipt when going through that route. Iirc my online apple id was a consumer one and it have me consumer orientated receipts (still including the vat ofcourse but not broken out). Since that experience and the struggle to get a full vat receipt I've setup a business account where it allows you to enter all your business details and full vat receipts are then automatically created.

Things may have changed since then as I've been using my business apple id for many years now. But be warned that if it hadn't changed you might struggle offsetting your input tax against your output.

Ps. Another tip, you are talking about claiming it back. There are few business models where their input tax is higher than their output such that you can claim it back. Make certain it is worth it and normal in your industry to file for a repayment with HMRC as once you are on that compliance checklist it can be very hard to ever get off it. So if it is for example not normal for your business to claim back I would wait with investments until you have a period during which it merely offsets your output. Anyway just a tip, you may want to check with your account on the facts for your business and industry.

16. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I managed to put the purchase through last night and what a saving, £652!. I will also save an additional £406 VAT as well when I do my VAT return.

Thanks all for your help :)

I hope my niece will be around if they decide to check....

I am registered for Flat Rate Scheme VAT which normally would not be able to reclaim VAT..... However HMRC allows a reclaim of VAT when cost of Fixed asset expenditure (on a single invoice) is over £2000. My Output VAT is always high in comparison to

As far as I am aware, I don't really need a full VAT receipt as long as I have the receipt (which shows VAT charged ..) and the Asset if HMRC comes knocking.....

css_jay99

17. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the HE Discount and my wife is a teacher.

I have ordered a 27 inch iMac and have made a nice saving along with a £70 gift card, a 3 year warranty and Quidco cash back.

Probably done better or very close to than buying secondhand :smashin:

18. Mat25091

Mat25091
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I'm not a student of any kind, but my brother is currently in Uni. I was all set to pop along to the Cardiff Apple Store with him tomorrow, give him the cash and get him to buy me a 13 inch MBA with the 14% HE discount.

I was telling some people in work about it though, and got told that by purchasing online you get a free 36 month warranty, but buying in store, even with the HE discount it's only a 12 month warranty.

I totally forgot about Quidco too, so looks like Online is definitely the way to go.

Since my brother is home for summer, he can't log on at Uni and he has no clue about remotely accessing the network. If we try googling Apple Higher Education store, we can get as far as picking the Uni before it tells us we need to be on the Uni network. How are you all getting around this? And how long will it take to come? I ordered my iMac online and it took a while to arrive from what I remember, but that was customised from the starting spec so might have factored into it.

Thanks!

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,603
    You can order over the phone instead, they may ask for uni id or something to be scanned over.

The stickler would be if they want to use his uni email address, unless he has access to it off-campus...

20. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    I got mine using the info from this site: How to get a 15% discount at the Apple online store from your own home (you’ve got to be a student though).

21. Liam_G

Liam_G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    If you know anyone that works in a Tesco and has a discount card, They also get 10% off :)

EDIT: Also the macbook's seem to be cheaper from Tesco Direct than the apple online store, The 15-inch: 2.3 GHz 500BG model is £300 cheaper than the apple store!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  22. Barthez

Barthez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    So is it actually true that you get a free 3 year warranty on-line?

23. Pont

Pont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Select an iMac then expand the details on the Apple Care option mate and have a read.

24. Sholmes484

Sholmes484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So my brother is a lecturer in a college and also a self employed brick layer, could I get a discount via him and also get him to claim VAT back too ? If so how do I go about this ?

25. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    not so easy regarding the vat point .....

is he registered for vat?
    what vat scheme.?, can he normally reclaim vat?

my small knowledge of vat only covers ltd companies and in that scenario the laptop has to belong to the company.... the savings is for the company not an individual.....

26. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,603
    An individual can be vat registered but the proportion of vat that can be claimed back is apportioned against business and personal use (i.e. 50% can be claimed back if something is used for business 50% of the time)

However if someone's brother is self-employed but is not even going to use something and not even buying it for themself, then the answer from HMRC is self-evident one would have thought

27. Sholmes484

Sholmes484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair point , struggling to justify spending all that on a Mac at the moment.

28. Muck9

Muck9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think you can:

Buy with student discount for yourself then claim back VAT also, can you?

As this would mean the 'business' is a student?

29. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    It's perfectly possible to be VAT registered while also eligible for HE discount from Apple. Just because you are a student or a lecturer it doesn't mean that you couldn't also be running a business. Apple don't try & dictate to you what you do with your purchase e.g. only for personal not commercial use.

30. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    You can buy as an individual ( and it doesn't matter what promotional discounts you get ) and claim the VAT back ( for the company ) but it then becomes a company asset which is then written off over a period of time, the company can sell you the kit for £1.00 at the end of the write off period