Apple Dilemma

nitro1471

Need some advice please guys,
Current Kit is late 2010 Mac Mini 2.4 C2D with 8 GB ram running Mountain Lion connected to Apple 24" Apple Cinema display, used for iPhoto, Media Server to ATV2 & General use.
I bought a new 13.3 MacBook Pro 2.4 i5 in Dec 2011 and upgraded ram to 16 GB, this is running Lion and has had very little use as I use Mac Mini or iPad
My son is after a Mac Mini, so could sell mine to him, so question is do I sell MBP and buy a new 2.5 i5 Mac Mini or use MBP connected to Cinema display, would I notice any difference in performance between the 2.
If I sell MBP what sort of price should I ask, I will add that it comes boxed with everything as new and Apple Care till Dec 2014.
Thanks

nitro1471

Anyone any advice, main question really is "Will I see any performance increase going from the 2.4 i5 MBP to a new Mac Mini 2.5 i5"

blue max

Distinguished Member
Anyone any advice, main question really is "Will I see any performance increase going from the 2.4 i5 MBP to a new Mac Mini 2.5 i5"

There will be very little difference. Most computers these days are more than capable. I would never sell a computer to buy another unless a considerable time had elapsed or they had something I needed such as a connector.

nitro1471

Thanks blue max, it's mainly that my son wants a Mac Mini, so was undecided whether to use the MBP as a desktop or as I say sell that as well & take a hit but get another Mac Mini, sounds like I should just use the MBP for another few years and then pass onto my daughter who has my old 2009 MacBook

Spudhead

Thanks blue max, it's mainly that my son wants a Mac Mini, so was undecided whether to use the MBP as a desktop or as I say sell that as well & take a hit but get another Mac Mini, sounds like I should just use the MBP for another few years and then pass onto my daughter who has my old 2009 MacBook

Yup thats the financially sensible option IMO mate as the gains to a new mac mini would be minimal. Leave it a few years til theres something 'revolutionary' or a massive jump up in performance before upgrading.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
The revolutionary jump is here now when it comes to comparing C2D to i5. If you opt for the mid range model then the 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core will wipe the floor with the C2D.

blue max

Distinguished Member
The revolutionary jump is here now when it comes to comparing C2D to i5. If you opt for the mid range model then the 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core will wipe the floor with the C2D.

I was answering this:

As they are both i5, I was suggesting it was not worth the swop.

Obviously comparing a C2D is a more pronounced difference.

nitro1471

Thanks guys, think I will stick with the MBP for now and see what comes along in the future :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom