• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Apple cinima display... is it worth it?

MAGiK

Established Member
hey all,

im looking to get an apple 27" cinema display as i think they look much better than a dell ultra-sharp for my PC, i know but i have to use a PC hence why i dont have a mac...

so my question is how good is the apple cinema display any issues i should know of and does it get overly hot and do they last?

thanks

MAGiK

prabmire

Established Member
tbh you say you have to use a PC, i run windows 7 64bit on my imac for when i HAVE to use windows, and i also can run it inside osx via parallels

MAGiK

Established Member
yes i know but the PC was provided for free so thats why i have to use one otherwise i would have a MAC ;) there so much better, im getting my own mac book pro and using bootcamp with windows, just woundering if the cinema display is as good as other apple displays?

prabmire

Established Member
cinema display is a crackin bit of kit but i know dell do some really nice HD displays for less then the cost of the cinema display

D

Deleted member 171211

The U2711 that I have uses the same panel as Apple do in their cinema displays (and iMacs). The difference is the Dell has an anti-glare coating, the cinema display has a glossy glass front.

HSC

Established Member
I think if you look around on the net you'll find the cinema display does not score a the top of any image quality and accuracy tests.
That's not to say it's not decent.

The other major drawback is the dire lack of inputs at this (particularly high) price point

On the plus side it's a very smart design and it has an integrated webcam and speakers however I'm unsure if they will work when connected to windows??

tasman

Established Member
Some products are just beautifully designed and this is one of them. This is my first iMac and I got the 27" screen and it looks magnificent. Can get too hot to touch (tho why does anyone need to touch their monitor) but the plus side is that I will save on my heating bills in winter :)

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
We have 7 here at work and they are great. Massively over priced for what they are and depending on what your main type of work they are decent all rounders. If its print, photography or artwork then I'd imagine you would already be looking at even higher end displays. If you have the cash and want to keep the Apple "look" they are fantastic. Interestingly (although not massively relevant) but they don't look that different to the 24" last gen model side by side.

MAGiK

Established Member
The main use will be for computer games art as that is the course i am currently doing, and i went and saw one in the currys/PC world near here and i was shocked so i wanted to know everyone elses opinion ;) im also deleoping a game over the summer so need it to house both my artwork and e-mail ect ect to keep in contact with my crew/ team haha but yeah I just wish i had a mac as they seem a million times better than a PC :p ah well thanks for the help jsut gotta get a new graphics card with a minidisplay port lol ;)

thanks

MAGiK

D

Deleted member 171211

or save a few quid and buy a Dell U2711 that has 2xDVI and Displayport support, thereby future proofing you into the bargain :smashin:

mhorton

Prominent Member
I would love one to go with my 15" Macbook pro I bought a couple of months ago. I just i can't justify the price. Would go lovely next to my 27" iMac though! Just looking at them in the Apple store last saturday.

D

Deleted member 27989

Funny that I decided way back for the Dell 30" instead of the apple as besides dual link dvi it also offered display port, hdmi, built-in card reader and USB hub etc. Stellar performance.

Also be careful with the apple display, in the hackintosh community there are a number of reports where out of the box an apple cinema display doesn't work with pc hardware. It seems there is some hardware handshake and they have to change the boot loader in order for it to be recognised.

Do your research.

samisnake

Established Member
Also be careful with the apple display, in the hackintosh community there are a number of reports where out of the box an apple cinema display doesn't work with pc hardware. It seems there is some hardware handshake and they have to change the boot loader in order for it to be recognised.

Do your research.

that is also true of real mac pros using certain cards, iirc the 5xxx range.

D

Deleted member 27989

Yup, that make sense probably people going for the cheaper reference 5870 like me instead of the apple version.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom