Apple Care

Anne-Sophie

Novice Member
John Lewis are selling iMacs for the same price as the Apple retailer near me.

They give 2 years free warranty plus an option to extend the warranty for a further year for £60. They also have a 90 day free help line to get you started.

AppleCare costs £136 for the same 3 years. Is it really worth the extra?

I bought mine for £45 on e-bay and I would have thought that speaking to Apple would give better results than speaking to someone from John Lewis.

Anne-Sophie

Novice Member
Yes I suppose you are right if you have a query regarding the OS, but if it is a hardwear problem I believe John Lewis are very reliable and would refer you back to Apple for any repairs.

I didn't see any AppleCare for the iMac that cheap on eBay, I am a little wary of buying from an unknown.

Tenex

Novice Member
John Lewis are selling iMacs for the same price as the Apple retailer near me.

They give 2 years free warranty plus an option to extend the warranty for a further year for £60. They also have a 90 day free help line to get you started.

AppleCare costs £136 for the same 3 years. Is it really worth the extra?
The 90 day is the standard Apple one - they will almost certainly route you there.

Getting 3 years for £60 is very good and with JL's excellent CS I'd be tempted for peace of mind (and I've bought AppleCare from eBay before). Check what it covers but if its the same I can't see why not.

I've bought Applecare from ebay in the past but not anymore unless it's the FULL retail pack, i.e. boxed with disc/registration code etc. There's a huge thread on Mac Rumours about people selling generated codes that register fine initially but then get denied cover by Apple when making a claim. Don't know how much truth there is in this but enough people have posted to make me think twice.

risheet_03

History says 52 have been sold and has a feedback score of 831, all 100%.

This suggests to me that he is credible but as CallMeSteve has already alluded to, I would prefer the unopened retail package to be sent to me.
Sure hope he is, i just ordered a refurb macbookpro and i was gonna buy applecare from him!

CamFire

There are many eBay sellers out there peddling codes-only for AppleCare amd I will not be surprised that Apple starts to blacklist such codes - now or in the future - and refusing service.

Insist on the fully tangible package - CD, box, etc. Not worth the tens of £s saved going to these really suspicious offerings.

EDIT: some info direct from eBay's website here

Last edited:

risheet_03

i wonder if jefferywoodham or simon12 can verify nino nicholas as a credible seller, have they had any problems with theirs?

What do you mean "called Apple" All you have to do is log in to your Apple ID and it's all there in black and white . Either believe me or pay the full price. It's your choice.

simon12

i wonder if jefferywoodham or simon12 can verify nino nicholas as a credible seller, have they had any problems with theirs?
I bought mine from him about a month ago and it registered online in seconds. Got an email with the Applecare Certificate from Apple which I printed out and that confirms the cover and the Agreement number.

Obviously I haven't had to use it yet but I see no reason why it won't work if I ever need to.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom