Question Apple airport issue

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by BigFas, Jul 19, 2015.

1. BigFas

BigFas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    This one has me scratching my head, hopefully someone can help. I have the current setup,

ISP is Virgin Media, am using their superhub in modem mode. All routing is done via an Airport Extreme and both devices are in my study. For the past few months, I've extended the wifi to the other side of the house using Airport Express. A few days ago, I noticed a significant degradation in quality using the iPad's we have in the house, in terms of speed and coverage, usually having full signal, all of us were only getting 2 bars when sitting in the lounge.

Using the airport utility, I'm getting the following status message:

[​IMG]

Usually, this means double NAT issue, hence set message to ignore, but no wireless clients are being associated to the express, nothing wants to connect to it and the wifi isn't being extended, but you can see green status lights next to both, so they're both being seen.

Express is then unplugged, and I move the express into the study and replug in. I use the airport utility on my desktop Mac and I see this:

[​IMG]

Everything is working as it should. No status messages, everything works as it should and I can get devices connected to it.

Genuinely, the only thing that changes is that I'm bringing the express to within 3 feet of the extreme. I've reset to factory and setup from scratch and the same thing happens. Really don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Regarding the blanking of data, I've just blanked off the SSID as I wasn't imaginative setting this up originally and just used my name, that's all that's been blanked off.

Any other things I can try to resolve or look at?

2. BigFas

BigFas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Issue now sorted. I posted on apple support forum and their fix was to power down both appliances, the after a few minutes, power up the extreme, let it cycle through its startup and run for a minute, then power up the express, now all is working as it should.

Though I'm still curious as to why simply changing the location of the express from the study to the dining room made it work in one location and not the other.