Question apple airport extreme to speed up my 13mbps sky BB?

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi guys.

my broadband speed always comes up at around 13mbps when checking via wifi on speedtest.net

on my sky routers settings page it states: "DownStream Connection Speed 16228"(is this more? less? if so can i gain the difference back with a better faster router?)

all my devices are new apple devices so support 802.11AC.

so my question is would i actually notice an improvement if i was to use an apple airport extreme connected to my sky router, and turning off the wifi on my sky router? and using the 5ghz band, or is the current wifi speed my mac shows as "tx rate: 145 mbps" mean as its already faster than my 13mbps broadband speed it shows via wifi, getting a faster wifi connection wouldt matter?

i do no file sharing over my network.

ps im a novice

Last edited:
So yes, your wifi connection speed to the router is already way faster than the internet speeds you receive.

If you're connecting at 16228k (16MB) and speedtest over wifi is about 13MB I'd say that's probably about as good as you'll get it. You could hardwire a computer or laptop with an ethernet cable and run a few speedtest.net tests to compare against your same tests over wifi. But I don't think you'll notice much of a difference.

Your Sky Router should have dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi networks and both can manage your current speeds fine. If you notice range away from the router is an issue for some devices then try swapping them to the 2.4ghz band and you will probably get a better connection.

So basically, it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom