johnjo569

Established Member
Reaction score
Can somebody clarify i have this correct...

Getting my new OLED TV tomorrow and will using with a new unused Apple 4K TV box which will feed through to my Sonos Playbar. I will be also using the inbuilt tuner for normal TV.

Regarding the set up, I have checked and can see that Apple 4K doesn't support 5:1 optical audio so I am buying a splitter - HDMI Splitter 1 in2 out 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos SPDIF 5.1CH Breakout - HDMI Scaler 4K 1080P Sync,Firmware Upgrade HDMI 2.0 Splitter 1 in 2 Out 18Gbps HDCP2.2, CEC, Slim Case SP12

I have HDMI 2.0 cables for this as well.

So the set up will look like this: Input Apple TV & Playbar (with 2x play 1's as rear speakers) via optical to splitter then HDMI connection from splitter to TV.

Will that work ok and is it the best method?

Originally I was just going to attach the Apple tv straight in to the tv along with the playbar via the TV inbuilt optical connection but am thinking as apple TV doesn't support optical audio it will only output in generic stereo... unless the TV can convert the signal from apple tv?

I am a bit confused!

ATV supports PCM 7.1 and Dolby 5.1.
Optical is limited to PCM 2.0 and Dolby/DTS 5.1

You will have to manually configure the ATV in its sound settings change it from Auto to Dolby.

You can use the TV optical out (change webos sound mode from pcm to auto) but if you get audio lag using he splitter may resolve that.

Also dont let the ATV force everything into HDR, set the output as 4K 60hz SDR then in video settings enable match dynamic range and frame rate so it auto switches to 24Hz HDR/SDR were necessary.

Thanks for the info on the Apple TV its good to know. My worry was that if there was lag and I had to get a splitter I was getting the correct one as I want to ensure the video format isn’t altered or downgraded by the splitter.

My new TV will be a Panasonic HZ1000 so it covers most bases picture format wise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom