Apple 4K TV Keeps Randomly Cutting Out

ClarkKent77

Just bought Apple TV 4K. My TV is a Sony Bravia 4K from 2015. They are connected via a 4K HDMI cable.

Very happy with the Apple Box, but for some reason it keeps cutting out. This happens randomly. The screen will go black for about a second, then carry on as normal. Sometimes it won't happen for a while. Sometimes it will happen every five minutes.

This happens on a couple of apps, like the iPlayer app and the Now TV app.

I've re-started the Apple Box and made sure it is up to date.

Any ideas?

next010

Distinguished Member
Go into the video settings and see if the output is set to 444, if it is change it to 420 and see if that stabilizes it.

ClarkKent77

Hmmm. Tried that. For some reason, it won't accept 444. When I try it, the TV has lots of lines and crackling, and it is unwatchable. I have a 4K TV, Apple 4K TV, and a 4K HDMI cable, so I'm not sure why I can't use the 444 setting? Surely with all the kit I have, the highest option (in terms of quality) should be available?

That said, I've just checked, and I got my HDMI cable from Amazon. £6. Could this be the problem?

4K HDMI Cable 0.9M HDMI Lead/cord-Snowkids Ultra High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable [email protected] Compatible Fire TV, 3D Support, Ethernet Function, Video 4K

next010

Distinguished Member
Hmmm. Tried that. For some reason, it won't accept 444. When I try it, the TV has lots of lines and crackling, and it is unwatchable. I have a 4K TV, Apple 4K TV, and a 4K HDMI cable, so I'm not sure why I can't use the 444 setting? Surely with all the kit I have, the highest option (in terms of quality) should be available?

That said, I've just checked, and I got my HDMI cable from Amazon. £6. Could this be the problem?

4K HDMI Cable 0.9M HDMI Lead/cord-Snowkids Ultra High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable [email protected] Compatible Fire TV, 3D Support, Ethernet Function, Video 4K

TV from 2015 may not support chroma 444 at 4K 60Hz, early gen 4K TV's weren't always full bandwidth HDMI 2.0.

If you are still getting signal drops even on chroma 420 then then try other HDMI cables.

Another thing to try is manually set the output to 4K 60Hz SDR then in video settings under match content enable match frame rate and dynamic content (if TV supports HDR). That will make ATV auto switch based on the content 25/23/24/50 which might help with playback instead of forcing 4K 60hz all the time.

ClarkKent77

Just back from PC World. Got a new HDMI cable. My TV & Apple Box can now support 444 Chroma (It wouldn't before) but the brief cut-outs are still happening.

I've tried 4k 60HZ and 420 chroma. Tried matching the content with SDR, but it keeps cutting out.

To me, this suggests there is either a problem with the Apple Box or the TV. Very frustrating!

Also, is it just me or is SDR brighter than HDR?

next010

Distinguished Member
Just back from PC World. Got a new HDMI cable. My TV & Apple Box can now support 444 Chroma (It wouldn't before) but the brief cut-outs are still happening.

I've tried 4k 60HZ and 420 chroma. Tried matching the content with SDR, but it keeps cutting out.

To me, this suggests there is either a problem with the Apple Box or the TV. Very frustrating!

Also, is it just me or is SDR brighter than HDR?
Not sure what else could be the cause then, perhaps some kind of device compatibility issue.

HDR performance depends upon the TV not all are the same.

Other random things to try;
* As a long shot you could try disabling HDMI-CEC on both the ATV and TV, on TV its called bravia sync and on ATV its under remote, control receivers other devices.

* Disable HDR so leave dynamic range disabled on ATV and manually set output to SDR.

* Check that TV is using latest firmware and double check the TV mode it set to enhanced signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom