Apple 4K TV for dummies

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by sugarmichael, Dec 17, 2018.

1. sugarmichael

sugarmichael
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I am approaching this with close to zero understanding of media streaming and up until now solely rely on a TV a Sky box and a DVD player. However I am in the process of upgrading my TV and in doing so evaluating what else I need to upgrade i.e. Sky Q, 4k Blu ray and sound bar etc.

Which leads me onto Apple 4K TV. I apologise in advance for this question but why, for someone without previous investment in the Apple infrastructure i.e. no large catalogue of Apple content, why would I need Apple 4K TV when my new TV would have 'smart' capabilities. Is there a picture advantage, a cost advantage or any other reason?

My objective is to increase the quality of programming that I am watching (I don't mean University Challenge rather than Coronation Street!), increased quality as in HDR, 4K and Dolby Atmos etc.

Thank you for any replies.

2. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +199
      in simplest terms....the app store

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +407
      Your new TV will have limited smart capabilities and will not support all apps.

I have a smart TV and a Apple TV 4K, Chromecast Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick + and a UHD blu-ray player to cover most current UHD sources and other content and the TV is also 4K capable via it's built in satellite tuner but not for Sky so I did for a while have a Sky Q UHD box but no longer.

You need to see / decide which apps etc you want to use and then purchase one or more devices which support these apps etc if the TV does not support them.

4. sugarmichael

sugarmichael
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Thank you Fred.

The Sony XF9005 Android platform comes with Netflix, Amazon and Chromecast, plus TV catchup channels, so I would envisage that this will cover the majority of what I would need.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,511
      Cheap 4K movies is another reason for the ATV. You can often pick up cheap HD films for a couple of quid (older movies normally this cheap) and if available now or at a later date in 4K you get it upgraded to 4K for free once available.
      Even new release films are mostly far cheaper than an UHD disc, the quality is close but not quite as good though.

Mark.

6. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,558
      There have been occasions where TV manufacturers stop updating some apps on older models, and it's likely you'll lose at least some app functionality in your TV's lifetime.

I'll suggest the Amazon Fire TV stick.

7. ristac

ristac

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +157
      Exactly this below:

I recently purchased a new 55" C8 and I naturally thought I wanted to watch the absolute best quality I could so I splashed out another near £200 on a 4K blu ray player. I then found a 4K movie for £25 and my first thought was this better be good as £25 a disk is a bit steep. Yes it was fantastic I can't deny that but I thought I would give the Apple 4K TV a go.

I am now watching 4K movies on Apple for under half the price of a 4K disk, yes the quality is ever so slightly less on Apple over a 4K blu ray but negligible. If you want to get into the world of UV codes and Movies now it is even cheaper.

I've got Venom, House With Clock In Walls and 12 Strong all ready to watch and all three cost me under £20.00 total doing the UV code route.

8. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      I decided to go ATV 4K rather than UHD blu-ray with a C8.

Yes there are some disadvantages - the lossless audio on disk cant be beaten; and I'm missing having two HDMI as I route it via my Denon with the TV HDMI set to PC so I'm losing some video-friendly settings - although when the film's in DV its fine

But I've been able to get a stack of 4K films for just £3-5 - as I've most on blu-ray I just dont want another shelf of disks.

9. mikeybabes2

mikeybabes2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,764
      How do you mean the UV code route.

I thought UV was ultraviolet which is having all sorts of issues with providers. I had a load of movies through flixster and I understand they are no longer participating......

Thanks.

10. nero0410

nero0410
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,937
      @jwsg

Can't comment on 4K, but I use this to send hdmi to both tv and projector at the same time from my nVidia Shield (Used to use it with a htpc before the shield):
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IE3T2EU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very handy piece of kit and well built :)

11. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +616
      My choice was the streaming rate for 4k. It is mid to high 20's and very good, on par with BT Sport 4k quality and ahead of Netflix (no matter the platform for basic 4K for me), they top out at 15mb/s. After I bought it Apple introduced frame rate matching etc. which was an improvement.
      About frame rate and dynamic range matching on Apple TV

Not sure my LG is updated past being functional anymore.

I have a disk player for the films I want the full visual experience.

Cheat Charts App (free at the moment) points the way for discounted films on iTunes. Many 4k. Some get bumped up and on the odd occasion they lose 4k. I can only do HDR tops so no idea what Dolby Vision looks like on ATV.

4K can get pulled on iTunes and you are left with the HD version. Films can get pulled I am told, the T+C will have the info. Encourage you to read them.

Apps wise you can access various catch up. iPlayer is OK but will not do the BBC UHD tests. I am not sure it ever will. Commercial TV apps are what you would expect. Apps are supported by BBC or ITV etc. so any differences are down the to. BBC or ITV etc. not Apple as I understand it?

There are a few games worth a go but in the main it is not a gaming machine.

12. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +80
      I have the Sony 49XF9005 with Apple TV 4K.

The ATV does pretty much everything better than the built in apps on the TV, so much so that I pretty much use it all the time. The Android system on the TV is pretty sluggish mind you.

I use ATV for:

iTunes movies in 4k / HDR / Dolby Vision / Atmos - often pick up films for a fiver when on promotion.

The TV App - brings together all streaming services into one single app and works very well indeed.

Music streaming - if I want to listen to Tidal or Apple Music I just airplay via the ATV.

Local streaming - I have all my blu-rays ripped to mkv and use the Infuse App Pro to stream. This is probably the best app on Apple TV for me as it is 100 times better than Plex (which I used for many years) and (best of all) I can now stream direct (including HD audio formats). I absolutely love it!

Finally, both Netflix and Amazon apps work flawlessly on my ATV and both include the required 5.1 / Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos / HDR features available on certain series.

I did however have to update the firmware on just about every one of my devices to get some of the features to work (Dolby Vision especially)!

Overall I am immensely happy with the ATV 4k - it’s now a “one stop shop” for just about everything I watch (or listen to) - I have hardly used my disc player in the past 2 months!

13. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +360
      Dont forget the Nvidia Shield "the daddy"!

14. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,009
      I’m getting the ATV 4K for Christmas and was wondering about streaming Blu-Rays from my NAS. I currently use Kodi on my Xbox which works very well, certainly a lot better than Plex! I understand the options are Infuse, Plex and MRMC on the ATV? You mention Infuse plays back in HD Audio but I thought ATV was DD only? Hoping I’m wrong!

15. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +80
      I previously used Kodi (on Amazon Fire TV), and Plex (on various platforms), and then discovered Infuse only a couple of weeks back - it's in a different league!

The ATV itself cannot pass HD audio, but the Infuse App works (somehow) by decoding the audio and then passing this as uncompressed PCM. Have a look at the web link below which explains everything.

Audio Options (tvOS)

I was sceptical, but as soon as I head the soundtrack on Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom I realised it was definitely the full HD audio coming through (the amp just says PCM 5.1 but you can tell straight away compared to Plex which transcodes everything).

Also, the set up was very intuitive and was able to scan my entire media library (700 titles) via an SMB share, in less than 30 minutes, with correct artwork and everything. Hardly any errors. Plex would have taken a couple of days! Artwork can be changed if required by adding a jpeg to the relevant movie folder.

I could go on - there are other ways to customise Infuse but probably best to have a read of the various user guides on the Firecore website.

Scarty16 above mentioned the Nvidia Shield. I have not tried that but understand it's superb. Personally, I like the ATV as it just works for me and I am a bit of an Apple fan. NVidia might well be a better option if you are not such a fan of iTunes and don't need or want to buy / rent 4K titles from Apple.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    16. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,009
      Cool, really looking forward to trying Infuse out! How much is it?

17. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +80
      For the Pro version I had it on a free trial and when I realised how good it was I decided to subscribe - it's £8.99 per year on an iTunes subscription.

A bit more info copied below as regards the HD Audio ...

Infuse does support DTS-HD MA and TrueHD, and the full lossless audio will be sent to your receiver as LPCM.

The decoding process itself is standardized between all Dolby/DTS certified products (Infuse is certified and licensed for both) so in the end there is no difference whether this decoding is done by Infuse or your receiver. A bit more info on this can be found here. Audio Options (tvOS)

The only real caveat is Infuse is not able to support Atmos or DTS:X due to limitations in tvOS, but this is something we are encouraging Apple to change. A few more details can be found here. Help get Dolby Atmos on Apple TV | Firecore

18. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,009
      Awesome, I don’t have an Atmos setup so plain old 5.1 lossless is good enough for me :) And that £8.99 subscription is still a lot cheaper than Plex.

19. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,009
      Bah, I just realised I have to hook the ATV straight to my tv as I have an older AVR. That means passing the audio from tv to receiver via toslink so no lossless audio for now.

20. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +80
      That’s a shame - I had the same issue before with my older AVR

21. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +616
      Same problem here but address it when I change the amp, I can easily live with it all things considered for my smallish room.

22. bobbybuilder59

bobbybuilder59
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I had a Nvidia shield before ATV but waited and waited for frame rate matching to be implemented but it never arrived. I only wish the ATV would be as open as Android, I really hate Apple eco system, I have nothing else Apple in our house and would never spend my money on a iPhone. But must admit the APV is probably the best media streamer available for picture quality.

23. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +360
      What is frame rate matching when its at home?

24. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,240
      He means by setting up a US iTunes account which via a couple of other services you can get US Ultraviolet codes to port to US iTunes, as well as that you can also have most of your Ultraviolet content from Flixster port to the US iTunes account too.

25. bobbybuilder59

bobbybuilder59
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Google is your friend.

26. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +551
      It means that if the content was originally recorded at, say, 24p then even if your Apple TV home screen is set to 50 fps then it will switch to 24p for that content. If you get content at 60 frames, it will go to 60 and back again to 50 when you’re at the main menus.

27. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,009
      Am I correct in thinking that if I set up a US iTunes account, my Flixster HD movies would not be upgraded to 4K once ported?

I have a few ultraviolet codes redeemed in my UK iTunes account which have been upgraded to 4K but I’m sure I read the Flixster ones wouldn’t be.

28. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,240
      You are correct in thinking that any HD Ultraviolet won’t port to US iTunes in 4K or ever be upgraded for free. They would need to be specific 4K codes from 4K discs for the 4K rights to transfer over, but then for that to happen Vudu would also need to have those titles in 4K/UHD too.

You are incorrect about redeeming Ultraviolet codes into UK iTunes as that can only be done via Flixster or other Ultraviolet redemption method.
      What you would have redeemed would have been iTunes redemptions which are different to Ultraviolet which will get upgraded to 4K as and when available.

29. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,009
      Ah, my bad. I incorrectly thought all redemption codes were UV and it was a term for digital downloads in general. But of course they aren’t, otherwise my library would be in iTunes right now!

Out of all my Blurays, only a small handful had iTunes redemption codes.

30. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,240
      Generally for UK releases you’ll find them in some Paramount and 20th Century Fox titles.