Gino48

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas.... Merry belated Christmas!

I just bought a Sony x950h and installed the apple tv app. I noticed that there is an option to purchase/rent 4k movies.

I was under the impression that you could only get 4k content from the Apple 4K TV box and not the app.

Has this changed?

I would like to know before I purchase anything. I don't want to buy something in 4k only to get it in HD quality.

Thanks.

P.s. is there any advantage to buying a Apple 4K TV box if this is the case? Do you get more selection of movies and TV shows if you buy the box?

Sorry if this sounds like dumb questions but this is my first time getting into the Apple ecosystem.

Also... Do you guys notice a difference between Google play 4K titles and iTunes?

The box gives you all the extras, alternative editions etc, the app doesn't.

Both do 4k.

You’ll get 4K etc but the bit rate on the Apple TV box is a fair bit higher than all the app versions. If you’re not too bothered then it’ll be fine. There’s a good chance that a new ATV box will be released “soon” so I’d say save your money and just use the app. On the other hand ATV boxes hold their value really well so if you want to get a second hand one to tide you over you won’t lose much on it if you want to get the new one later.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. 👍

Has anyone ever compared stream quality from Apple to Google's 4k streams?

I bought a copy of Shazam 4K (disc) and got the digital code to view on Google Play store.
From what I see, the stream looks amazingly beautiful and crisp.

Just curious to know if anyone has ever bought both versions of the same movie on different ecosystems and saw any differences?

I realize 99% of the population would never buy two of the same movie but for those videophiles who are curious about possible differences, I'd like to hear from you. Be as specific as you want. Can be any movie or TV show.

In terms of library, I know Apple is bigger but I'm just wondering about video quality at the moment.

Thanks.

bit rate on the Apple TV box is a fair bit higher than all the app versions

Hi NTG, Just joined the website (thanks for the website btw :) )
I was wondering if you can clarify what you mean when you say the ATV bitrate is higher? compared to AppleTV+ app or against other streaming app for the same movie?

Hi NTG, Just joined the website (thanks for the website btw :) )
I was wondering if you can clarify what you mean when you say the ATV bitrate is higher? compared to AppleTV+ app or against other streaming app for the same movie?

Higher bit rate just means better quality. It's just like comparing a 4K disc to a stream. the bitrate on a disc is higher than that of any stream available currently.

So what he is basically saying is that if you buy the Apple TV box, the movie you are playing will look better on that over any app.

Higher bit rate just means better quality. It's just like comparing a 4K disc to a stream. the bitrate on a disc is higher than that of any stream available currently.

So what he is basically saying is that if you buy the Apple TV box, the movie you are playing will look better on that over any app.

That's interesting I was expecting an adaptive VBR in relation to my network connection.
Probably the Apple TV cache and output better quality as Apple have control on their own products and don't need to tinker with TV NICs.
It's a solid selling point although content providers must have internal guidelines for streamings' bitrate. as well.

Has the higher bitrate via an ATV4k vs. a tv such as the XH95 been demonstrated recently?
I’ve read it anecdotally on here but not been able to find any hard data or statements on it.

OP,

You can PM me as I am the bit rate man here lol.

Does Apple 4k tv box pass UhD signal ?? as iplayer uhd programs dont seem to work

so I am thinking of buying Apple TV am I better of waiting while the gen 6 comes out I will mainly be using it for Netflix and Disney and I will be wanting it to get Atmos
cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom