Appeal to all Pioneer DVR-530H Owners (Guide+ issues)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Markkfc9, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned this machine for over a year now and still class it as one of the best AV purchases I have made. It operated without issue until recently when I started having trouble with Guide + which is now officially driving me nuts!

To explain Guide + always worked fine with on average 1 weeks worth of viewing stored. About 2 months ago this started to play up with gaps appearing until my grid became totally blank.

It is important to point out that I had changed absolutely nothing with my set up so I would be confident it was down to nothing I had done. I had always downloaded via ITV analogue as I don't have Sky.

Since the problems started I have scoured and posted on this forum and tried several fixes
    • Resetting my postcode (both to my own and others in the local itv viewing region) to start afresh
    • Re wiring my system in various permutations (I have both a roof analogue signal and one via my local cable tv provider- which incidentally both show as strong on my freeview box it loops through after being through the pioneer).

These all have the same basic results:-

• The machine does a short initial download after which you can see the available channels in the guide plus.
    • It then does the next full download (of the standard three scheduled per day)
    • This now gives me about two full days guide (so assume machine is receiving clear data)
    • Unfortunately despite completing downloads thereafter no additional information seems to be received. Therefore when my initial two days have passed I am stuffed again.

This is a real bugbear for me as I really valued the guide+ feature.

What would really help me is if as many Pioneer DVR-530H owners could let me know if:-

1. How there Guide + performs?
    2. If they have experienced similar problems?
    3. If they have, did they find a fix?

Going by other posts it does seem as if owners of other brands of machines that use Guide + have had similar problems so I think this is more of a problem with Guide + but to be honest their web site is poor in terms of support or contact details.

I look forward to and thank anyone who is willing to help. I hate not being able to fix things!!!

Thanks.

2. cobson

cobson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't have this model and don't use Guide+, but I came across this post on another forum:

"A possible resolve?

Just got hold of one of Pioneers top techie bods who immediatley told me to reset the unit when I started describing the symptoms. Seems Guideplus can send out rogue 'bits of data' every now and then that screws with the programming system of the 530s etc. Won't know If it's worked for several days as I've now got a blank Guideplus menu so need to pick up channels and listings over the next day or so but thought it worth letting you guys know incase you want to get on with it.

To reset the system:- Hold down the stop button on the front of the unit (under the square) press stand by (again ON THE UNIT) and let go of the stop button. Job done! Then go back in and set your system and put it back into standby. EPG should then appear which will grab your channels listings but you will have to wait 0-24hours to get program listings.

Will let you know in a couple of days If it resolves the problem.

One thing that Richard said was that he resets his system every couple of months to clear out any rogue data sent by Guideplus. So there ya go."

3. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for that. It is really good of you to dig it out for me.

Can either the person who did originally post this detail (or anyone else who may know) confirm whether doing this will also wipe my HDD as there is stuff on there I do not want to lose??

If not I am happy to give it a go.

Thanks.

4. cobson

cobson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Interesting.

Neither my 530 or 545 seem to want to play ball with Guideplus at all despite saying "updating" on the front panel.

Fortunately I no longer have the 530 and rely only on the digital aspect of the 545.

6. cobson

cobson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I may be wrong, but I thought that the Pioneers show 'updating' when the Digital EPG is in use, and show 'EPG' when the Guide+ EPG is in use ?

7. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Might be, maybe I got the wrong word.

But the 530 doesn't have a digital EPG so whatever it was showing on the front it wasn't actually doing.

If you follow!

8. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When the front panel of the DVR-530 shows 'EPG', it simply means that it is in EPG dowload mode.
    To successfully download the EPG, you must be able to receive uninterrupted analogue teletext signals from the Guide+ host channel and the DVR must switch to the host channel before the download starts. (There is no digital teletext Guide+ download .) Consequently, the Guide+ setup parameters must be correctly entered.
    The most common reasons for an incomplete EPG, are:
    1. Loss of teletext syncronisation due to weak signal.
    2. Interruption of the download before it has completed (1-2 hours).
    The best way to check if the download is working correctly is to have a look at the Guide+ setup/system information. There, all the download information is listed. The second to last item is 'Number of files' which shows something like '734/0' which means 734 files were downloaded successfully. If it says '700/34' then 34 out of the total number of files failed, either due to poor signal quality or to an interruption of the download before it had completed.
    If it has previously worked well it is very unlikely that there is any problem with the Guide+ firmware in the recorder.

9. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as an update and a thank you to Cobson I tried the reset to factory settings and so far the Guide+ has started working perfectly again. It has downloaded over a full week (which is considerably more when I tried changing signal source or post code) and there have been no other issues such as programme name not showing when you record.

Clearly early days but it is certainly by far the best progress I have made with a problem that has been driving me mad for weeks.

If anyone out there is having issues I would recommend it. Despite the time involved in reinputting your settings it appears worth it to have a reliable Guide+ again.

Given past problems I am not totally confident however will update any future issues via the forum. If anybody gets any other detailed info via Pioneer or Guide+ it would also be helpful if this was posted.

Thanks again.

10. Madd

Madd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have posted my problems with my 530H on other threads. I've had no luck in fixing my problem.

My guide was empty when I came back from a one week trip. I use Eurosport on Sky as I don't have terrestrial access. My wife had been cleaning the dish and so the possibility of it being a signal issue was there because of the coincidence of her action. But I couldn't really believe that since the signal had not changed. I have tried to tweak it since to get some more as both quality and strength, on Eurosport, tend to be around the 80% mark since I don't have a clear line of site. If anything, my signal should be better in the winter because that damn tree in front of my balcony has no leaves!!

Before my reset I had all of the channels there and the PVR would switch to Eurosport when going into EPG, but no program info would download. After reset, this info, and the number of the host channel, are gone and so I have to manually set the channel before bed. So far absolutely nothing. I also tried different, valid, Postcodes even though I wouldn't see that making a difference!

Maybe I got unlucky and have to try the reset again. It's certainly not coincidence that so many people have these problems just these last months, though others have not. Can it really be signal strength when there is no picture breakup?

I don't recall my first set up. When it's said that first time takes up to 24hrs it doesn't mean that you have to leave it in standby for 24 hrs without interruption does it? That could be one interpretation of the manual!

11. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To restore normal operation (assuming there is no real fault in either the Satbox or the DVR), it is best to do a reset on the Satbox and then re-enter your postcode in the Guide Plus setup on the DVR. You re-set the Satbox by disconnecting or switching off the mains input, pressing and holding both 'Power' and 'Back up' buttons and then re-connecting the mains (two-person job). You then have to manually set the Satbox to Eurosport (410) and put the DVR in stand-by mode. After about 1 minute 'EPG' will appear on the front panel of the DVR and it will download all the programme names into the Guide+ grid as well as setting the channel number (410) for further downloads. The programme data will appear after the next download which occurs at the scheduled times of 3am, 6.30am and 2.30pm. Re-entering the postcode is just a way of re-setting Guide+.

12. Madd

Madd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your response Brian F. It's interesting that you talk about resetting the Sat box. One thing I didn't mention in my post here is that my Sony Sky box is listed among the receivers "not compatible" on the Guide+ site. Now this would be a good reason for it not to work but it had worked faultlessly for many months beforehand.

If you have experience or knowledge of the Sky box leading to this Guide+ problem then perhaps you can explain how. Do you know if Sky made an update that may have initiated these problems? An update might explain why a reset can clear a problem. From now on I will record my s/w versions to see if any unit has been updated!

Many thanks for the tips regarding the channels download followed by the programs (I assume that the times you give are UK times). And re-entering the postcode is the same as resetting the unit as far as Guide+ is concerned? Well that'll make life a little easier so I don't have to go through a full unit set up each time.

13. cobson

cobson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    She didn't put it in the dishwasher did she ?

(sorry, i tried to resist but just had to)

14. Madd

Madd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It wouldn't have surprised me!

15. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes indeed, there are several boxes that are listed as being incompatible with Guide+ and their tendency to lose analogue teletext sync is probably the main reason. Apparently this is not so much a fault in the boxes but is something to do with the way in which Sky transmits the Guide+ signal. I am told that this has been a long-standing issue between Sky and Gemstar (Guide+ owners). (Presumably those boxes are on the edge of the Sky specs but the Sky signals are narrower than they should be.) The essential test is to verify if your Satbox is receiving the analogue teletext signal on any channel that carries it (e.g. 410). If it has lost sync, the only answer is to reset the Satbox.
    Any glitch in transmission could also cause loss of sync. On the other hand, my Pace 430 box has not lost sync for several months whereas, about a years ago it was losing sync every couple of weeks. I don't know what caused that change but it is a pleasure to not have to keep resetting.

16. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Ah yes, this must still be an issue. There will be posts here somewhere with people having the same issues over the years. As I recall one solution that some user's took was to connect their analogue aerial to the Pioneer and tune a channel into ITV for the GuidePlus system to use in place of the Sky box. This had the advantage of not needing to worry about leaving the external box on to get updates.

Not sure what will happen to these people when analogue gets turned off:oops:

Regards

Phil

17. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't be sure because I am not in the UK but I would assume that downloading Guide+ from ITV would mean that you would then be receording from the analogue channels, so losing the quality benefits of the digital transmissions on satellite.

18. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Good point although it doesn't seem to matter where the GuidePlus data comes from, it will still record from the external box just the same. All it may do is want to record from analogue 1-5 but you can easily change that. GuidePlus themselves recommend using analogue ITV if you still have it available regardless if you have an external box or not, probably because they know it gives the lesser problems. :)

Regards

Phil

19. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over here (Belgium), Guide+ is also available on an analogue cable channel (RTL-TVI) but it only carries the channels available locally.
    As the Eurosport download seems to work fine for me I don't want to risk upsetting the situation by trying it.
    Presumably, the ITV terrestrial download is identical to the one on Eurosport so I guess it makes no difference for UK viewers.

20. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

I may be wrong but I think the data from GuidePlus is exactly the same wherever it comes from. All GuidePlus will do is hide or show the listings based on your settings, i.e. if you say you have a Sky box, it will show all the channels it has for Sky. That is how it works here with the ITV analogue and satellite feeds.

Regards

Phil

21. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That seems unlikely. They have such extensive coverage around the world, they can't possibly list all channels everywhere. They do show channel lists on their web site but they are, of course, based on a matching combination of post code and host channel. Here in Belgium they have different channels listed for the French and Dutch-speaking regions but the host channels are also different.

22. Madd

Madd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    BrianF, I've given you an official thanks below your post on the previous page.

I reset my Sky box (actually one man is enough because you just need to hold the BACKUP button when powering up until the panel lights come on).

By analogue text I assume you talk about accessing Text on the TV just like in the old days before Satellite. I wondered about this before and did check this. But I put down the lack of Text to being because my TV (Pioneer PDP436XDE) couldn't read text from the SCART. Though I do have vague memories of seeing this work before. Either I was mistaken or it was my old TV. Perhaps somebody can confirm if the Pioneer can still see the Text via the SCART.

As you can figure, I still couldn't see Text after the reset. With further plans in my head for tomorrow I decided to re-enter the Postcode info in Guide+, stuck the Sky on 410 and the PVR into standby. After EPG I now have channels!!! So looks good for downloading the programs tonight.

A big Happy New Year to you!:clap:

23. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy New Year to you also. It sounds as if you are getting somewhere if you have the channel idents so fingers crossed.
    There are several factors that make the GP+ setup very confusing.
    Firstly, yes, GP+ is carried on the old-style teletext and your tv should be able to receive that on channels like BBC1 & 2, ITV and Eurosport. However, the Pioneer boxes do not pass through the teletext signals when they are in operation. They only pass through the teletext when they are in stand-by. So make sure to check teletext reception with the DVR in stand-by. Next, it is vital that your DVR is connected to the TV scart on the Digibox. That is the only one that carries the teletext signal.
    It's a wonder that anyone manages to get it right! I hope you get the right result overnight.

24. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now contacted Gemstar by e-mail and they confirmed that GP+ on RTL only carries programming for the Belgian cable channels. This is quite comprehensive and includes BBC1 & 2 but not any of the others on Astra.

25. Madd

Madd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've confirmed that my Guide+ is now loaded with programs :thumbsup: and, yes, teletext works fine when the Pioneer is switched off!

I always have the Pioneer power up with the other stuff even when I have no immediate intention of using it. This is for two reasons. Firstly so that it is ready to hit Record at any time and, secondly, because it would occasionally switch to Eurosport for the EPG process whilst we were watching something! That's why I'd not seen the text work for a long time.

26. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great to hear that it is up and running. Yes that switch over to EPG download can be a pain if you are a constant viewer/listener. I go to sleep at night with light-weight earphones in listening to LBC 97.3 and my wife has Radio 2 on during the day. So the 3am (UK) download is the only one that works in our house.