Appalling fly-tipping

eob

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Took the dog for a longer walk tonight as she has been couped up with all the rain and went along an old farm track which I havn't ventured along in a long time.
Part of the road is still used but there is a section which has been cut by the East Kilbride ring road (Stewartfield Way) and is a dead end.
As i got nearer, I spotted one or two tyres chucked at the side of the road but when I turned the corner I was confornted by this:

I was disgusted, then I saw where they had tried to burn the evidence.

There is no doubt that this is tyre fitting centres at play here but the gauling thing is that we'll all end up paying twice for this. Once when we get a tyre fitted and they charge for "Eco disposal" and again through our council tax when they come to clear the mess.

Surely they must be able to catch who this is? Remote IR hidden cameras anyone?

This should bs such an easy crime to solve, if there's a will to solve it.
You can forget it being the 'big boys' like Kwik-Fit, not worth the risk to them.
So you're looking for an independent tyre fitting company.
And there will be CCTV of that route somewhere already, we're the most camera'd up country in earth!
So, you're looking for CCTV coverage of a van making regular trips....
Or you simply ask local independent tyre companies to show you their disposal records.
You should send the photos to your local paper , councillors abd trading standards, get the 'outrage' ball rolling.

Last edited:
Reported it to South Lanarkshire's web site, I'll see how long it takes to tidy up.

This could become a problem of the past if every tyre depot was forced to hot stamp every tyre with a mark that identifies that depot.

This could become a problem of the past if every tyre depot was forced to hot stamp every tyre with a mark that identifies that depot.

That would sort it unless they just didn't stamp them, or burned them after they were stamped....

I think FZR has hit the nail on the head, disposal records. Cant prove you disposed of them legally and you dont have them any more? boom, your a fly tipper!

Next Monday's Panorama ...
BBC One - Panorama, Britain's Biggest Waste Dumpers

Reporter Raphael Rowe tracks down some of Britain's biggest illegal fly-tippers - criminals who have pocketed tens of thousands of pounds handed over by motorists to recycle their used tyres. Money that was meant to protect the environment has instead vanished, leaving our countryside littered with massive piles of used tyres - many large enough to be seen from space.

Makes me so angry and upset to see people just throw rubbish away.

I never have ever since I was a small kid, just put it in your pocket and wait till you find a bin.

But these days so many feel they can do what they like as long as it's not in their back yard :(

Deadringers said:

I never have ever since I was a small kid, just put it in your pocket and wait till you find a bin.

But these days so many feel they can do what they like as long as it's not in their back yard :(

Yep, all littering is vile regardless of whether it's large scale fly-tipping or throwing a drinks can on the floor. It really does make me angry when people have such disrespect for their environment.

Make me angry too,i see kids walking past my house and just drop their box of chips as they walk.

To make matters worse,there's a bin about a foot from where they drop it :mad:

That is disgusting...

Surely for every tyre sold - they should have to prove they have disposed of the old one via a suitable re-cycling company. This way things like this cannot happen...

Received confirmation from South Lanarkshire Council today saying the will look into the matter.
Will keep this thread updated.

Surely a better way would be to get the garage to confirm how many tyres they use a year (which will be recorded).

The council then works out the cost for them to collect/dispose of these tyres and charge an annual fee for the service, in advance. Each year the garage has to provide updated figures and the charge re-calculated.

Garage has already paid to have tyres taken away so no incentive to fly tip. Council gets tyres to send to recycling :smashin:

Received confirmation from South Lanarkshire Council today saying the will look into the matter.
Will keep this thread updated.

Fair play for doing something about it, hope they follow it up.

This is the road I used to live on in Italy, it wasn't as bad as this when I lived there but it was close. This started happening about a year after I moved there. The locals would go out occasionally and douse everything in petrol before setting light to it. I'm not sure what was worse, the stench of waste or the stench of burning waste :laugh:

I felt sorry for the prostitutes working there. They were controlled by the Comorra so not only did they have no choice in what they were doing, they were told which roads to work :suicide:

Not my video but I'll apologise for the dodgy music anyway.

Fair play for doing something about it, hope they follow it up.

This is the road I used to live on in Italy, it wasn't as bad as this when I lived there but it was close. This started happening about a year after I moved there. The locals would go out occasionally and douse everything in petrol before setting light to it. I'm not sure what was worse, the stench of waste or the stench of burning waste :laugh:

I felt sorry for the prostitutes working there. They were controlled by the Comorra so not only did they have no choice in what they were doing, they were told which roads to work :suicide:

Not my video but I'll apologise for the dodgy music anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzuLszH6gRw

Now thats appalling fly-tipping.

aVdub said:

Perhaps McDonalds could follow suit and print the vehicle reg no on food bags sold at the drive through.

Perhaps McDonalds could follow suit and print the vehicle reg no on food bags sold at the drive through.

Fantastic idea. McDonalds rubbish is a real problem where I live.

Not enough is done about littering in this country.

Fantastic idea. McDonalds rubbish is a real problem where I live.

Not enough is done about littering in this country.

The McDonalds near me is pretty good.Always staff out picking up their litter.Still doesn't excuse people dropping it in the first place,seeing that there's bins everywhere.

The McDonalds near me is pretty good.Always staff out picking up their litter.Still doesn't excuse people dropping it in the first place,seeing that there's bins everywhere.

I wish I could say the same about my one (which is only a couple of hundred yards from me). I've lived here getting on for two years and I think I've seen a McDonald's litter picker twice in that time. They just don't care.

Like you say, the problem is with the ignorant and/or lazy idiots who drop litter but still, I don't think enough is done. There's no real way of reporting littering and the fines are not big enough anyway.

Thats a great idea. Has anyone put it to McDs yet?

I once followed a car of yobs along a dual carriage way and witnessed the wrappings from all 4 happy meals ;) being discarded one by one.

I also recently passed a car as the driver ejected a newspaper out the window just up from my work. I very nearly turned and followed but it was at the end of a very long day and I could just imagine the hasstle which would ensue. :(

I once followed a car of yobs along a dual carriage way and witnessed the wrappings from all 4 happy meals ;) being discarded one by one.

I also recently passed a car as the driver ejected a newspaper out the window just up from my work. I very nearly turned and followed but it was at the end of a very long day and I could just imagine the hasstle which would ensue. :(

Remember once following home a couple of idiots,that chucked out a McDonalds bag from their car.Waited for them to go indoors and posted the bag through their letterbox:D

Remember once following home a couple of idiots,that chucked out a McDonalds bag from their car.Waited for them to go indoors and posted the bag through their letterbox:D

Been so tempted to do that on many occasions.

eob said:

Not as far as I know - like you I have seen people throw stuff from their windows and seen the remnants in the road/car parks. It would be nice if someone put it to them.

A friend of mine chucked a mcd's cup out of the passenger side window of another friends car and somebody walking past picked it up and threw it back in! I thought that was genius!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom