1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appalling convergence - Toshiba 42wh36p (and other issues)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Smurfin, May 23, 2004.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    Managed to find myself a Tosh 42WH36P this week, and the day after I ordered it, the TV arrived!:) Great I thought, until I discovered just how bad the convergence is on this TV.

Within MINUTES of setting the convergence both the red and blue guns misalign themselves, although the red is by far the worst. Such that I've had to reconverge my TV 5 times today.

I did a service level convergence after the set had been switched on for an hour, got it looking great. Then I put the TV in standby, switched it back on and discovered immediately that the convergence was worse than ever.

This is shockingly bad. I've owned RP Tvs in the past and know of the "bedding in" in association with convergence...but no-way should the TV be this bad.

There are also a host of problems with picture breakup on lower-quality material: for example the usual Fox promo trailer that hasn't changed in years (you know the one: "Are you ready, for Fox DVD Video?"); I experienced this with my Arcam DV88+ and my old projector...but it was never as bad as I've noticed it on my 42" screen (bad edits I think it's known).

Overall, I'm really not impressed and while a number of movies look good, things like Finding Nemo look shockingly bad (I'd consider finding nemo R1 to be unwatchable).

I'm already half decided to send the TV back for a refund, but it leaves me with the quandry of... "what to buy?" instead. I'm half tempted to just sod it and go for a 32" screen...I'm just feeling really disappointed tonight:(

btw for the record, my DVD player is a Pioneer 668a, I'm using Belden component cables and picture modes are set to progressive. Convergence has only been done for "wide" mode but done for both PAL and NTSC....

Anyone else come across these problems?

cheers
    Matt

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi mate.

Many moons ago, when I went through 11 T.V.s before giving up on the firm I was buying from, I had similar problems (with convergence) with a number of Tosh. rear projection T.V.s. I be that you have to turn the T.V. off with the switch so that the settings are remembered... at least that's what I was told :)

Also, there's a lengthy thread about convergence and how to set it on Tosh RPs, somewhere here...

Toshiba are usually pretty good if you ring them direct, and in my experience they are quite willing to exchange the set/or send out a technician to try and get things sorted... although having said that we ended up with a 36ZP19 which my wife (especially) and I think is vastly superior to the Tosh RPs, even if you lose out a bit in the size stakes.

I can't be more helpful... but lmk how you get on with the convergence issue if you set it and then turn off the TV by the switch ;)

Good luck... and cheer up, things can only get better... hopefully :eek:

Mark

PS My wife suggests you swap it for the 36ZP38 ;)

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    Mark

I was thinking of the picture frame TV, but aside from the fact that it's more expensive the depth of it is rather obscene. I had a good look at one in Dixons the other day and up close I thought the black "framing" looked a bit cheap:(

Moving down from a projector to a smaller screen I thought was going to be easy...but it isn't the case.

re: my TV. I'm not sure any engineer would be able to change anything...sure they'll do the "service convergence" again but it'll misalign straight away I'm sure:( Also the flaws in the picture for DVD (really showing up issues) annoy me.

ho hum, guess I have some thinking to do:)

4. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Matt,

I reckon you should give the TV a chance to bed in. I was far from happy with the picture on my 42WH36 when I first had it, but after 2 weeks and a proper service level convergence by an engineer who knew what he was doing, the picture is now great.

I am not sure but when doing the service level convergence he definitely did it and saved it for all picture formats and all picture processing modes, ie 100hz, progress, active etc. He also switched the TV off ( not standby ) after he had done everything and then switched it back on again. He said this was calibrating it properly.

I know how you feel. I thought that I had paid Comet a grand for a pile of pants, but stick with it. It will be worth it.

Cheers

Paul

5. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    I wish I could be that optimistic...unless there is a "key" to saving settings, no engineer will make a blind bit of difference to what I've done (imho).

How has everyone exited or "saved" their settings after performing the service level convergence?

cheers
    Matt

6. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Where did you buy it from Matt?

7. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Matt,
    When I first got my set it seemed I was setting the convergance every time I turned the set on. As days went by I was having to do it less and less. I cant remember how long it was but it just gradaully stopped mis-aligning itself. I then did the service menu convergance and focused it and it has been ok since.
    To get it to store settings I think i turned the tv off (cant really remember tho).
    Mike

8. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello Smurfin
    I have a 46WHO tosh and had same issues as you initially- but it was easily fixed.
    1. other posters are correct- ALWAYS switch TV off with it's own power switch, not the remote- which puts it into standby and does NOT save any changes!
    2. You'll notice the convergence is out as soon as the TV is switched on,but as it warms up it settles down- may take 15-30mins. I initially was trying to re-converge when the set was not properly warm- just wasted my time and got very frustrated.
    3. Engineers are a bit hit & miss. The one I got hadn't a clue and just moved the "user" convergence- never knew about "service level" convergence!

I've had my set 3 yrs- looks better than ever after a few tweaks.A properly converged set produces an astounding picture. Stick with it Smurfin- it will be worth it!
    Cheers

rkb

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    Thanks for the comments guys, I may just stick with it after all.

blossom, I bought it from Web electricals who offered me a superb service: though I paid a little over the odds (£1020 delivered) it was with me less than 24 hours after placing the order. Now that's what I call service:)

Still going to call them tomorrow to give them the "heads up" that I'm not happy with the TV - if I call them after 2 weeks no doubt it will be more difficult getting a straight refund, if I so choose to go that route.

Has anyone had any issues with bad edits?

10. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    And I take that back already :rolleyes: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

It seems within 5 minutes of calibrating, even whilst I'm watching...the tubes go out of alignment. In fact it's probably less than 5 minutes, as straight away I can see red on the bottom bar of a 2.35:1 image and text onscreen is edged in both blue and red.

This is the last RP TV I'll buy, I'll get a 32" widescreen set for now then buy another projector when I finally buy a house. Shame, but there ya go :(