App to stream local Flac to Marantz

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by rodd1000, Jul 18, 2018.

1. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Hi guys, I’ve ripped my CD collection to a usb HDD which I have connected to my router. Ive been using an app called File Hub which allows me to setup SMB and stream them to my Marantz avr over AirPlay buy the UI isn’t great, no cover art etc. Ideally looking for something similar to Tidal or Spotify interface. Dont mind if it’s free or one off paid but rather not go down the subscription route. Any suggestions would be great if such a thing exists.

2. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    If marantz is dnla certified download musicbee free

3. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    If you could get the CD rips provided by a UPnP/DLNA media server, as opposed to SMB, then you should be able to use a UPnP/DLNA controller iOS app with a decent UI to get the Marantz to stream the music files - eg mconnect Player (free Lite version available), Glider Music Player, C5 - Stream DLNA Cast Player, etc. This assumes that your Marantz supports industry standard UPnP/DLNA streaming as well as AirPlay.

However, it'll most likely require you to connect the USB HDD to a networked computer running the UPnP/DLNA media server as there aren't that many routers that can run one. Since it'll need to be switched on 24/7, I'd suggest a low powered, low cost, reliable, efficient small single board computer like the Raspberry Pi. My recommendation for the UPnP/DLNA media server software is MinimServer:
    MinimServer

Using a computer to run the UPnP/DLNA media server, should also allow you the option to run the BubbleUPnP Server helper application, which would give you the ability to control the Marantz with OpenHome controller iOS apps, such as Linn Kazoo & Lumin.

4. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    The OP's Marantz should support UPnP/DLNA given that its one that supports AirPlay - I can't think of any networked Marantz AVR model that doesn't support one without the other.

BTW, is the UPnP/DLNA supporting MusicBee software (that runs on Windows computers) available as an app on iOS (as I believe is required by the OP)?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,471
    The Apple walled garden doesn’t support FLAC.

6. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I don’t really want to use another device to plug into if I can help it. The File Hub app essentially does what I need but not very pretty to look at. I was hoping there were some alternative apps that use smb in the same way but better geared to music, in the same way Infuse does for films.
    Infuse would have been great if it also supported audio only files. Thanks again for the reply.

7. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Apples own apps don’t support Flac but third party ones do, and there’s plenty that do play Flac.

8. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    I understand people maybe apprehensive about setting up and maintaining a DLNA capable NAS, but once setup (which is not hard) life does because a lot easier. None of this messing around trying to find an app that can access a share, or plugging in USB drives into different devices, having to turn a computer on/off to temporarily act as a server, or tied up a computer for music playback or having to post here to find a player that is capable of dealing with whatever corner you may have backed yourself into.

Really, all that is just a pain in the backside you have to deal with every day. Learning how to setup a NAS is a once off thing, settings it up is a once off thing. Maintenance is pretty much automatic and you just have to install an OS update now and then and reboot when it prompts you (you click OK when asked - not complicated).

Once setup, then anything that is DLNA capable can stream music off it. Of course the next stage is to get a NAS to act is an internet stream service distributor via roon, bubbleupnp or whatever - that is more complex to setup, but again its a once off instead of something you deal with every day.

If my 85 year old mum can set up a NAS for music on her own (I only explained the concepts to her, but she wanted to figure it out the setup on her own), then really - anyone can. If you can manage a music folder on a usb drive, pc or mac or whatever, then you can manage a NAS.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  9. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    The point about using another device to run a UPnP/DLNA media server with direct access to the music file storage, is that it'll get the UPnP/DLNA supporting Marantz to stream and play the audio files directly from that device and not get its audio via the device running the controller app. Therefore it'll avoid using your iDevice as the go between, with the benefits of far less battery drain and far less network/WiFi traffic.

Also using AirPlay on the iDevice imples that in addition to receiving all the music file data, the iDevice is also decoding and playing the music files. So you are trusting the particular controller/player app itself to not produce an audio output with inferior sound quality (that iOS then passes on to AirPlay for streaming).

If you really cannot use another networked device to run a UPnP/DLNA media server, then there are a couple of apps that are geared to music, can access & play FLAC files via SMB and can allow their player's audio output to be streamed by the Marantz:
    Neutron Music Player - output can be streamed by UPnP/DLNA (& Chromecast, but not AirPlay) devices and supports hi-res.
    MusicStreamer -output can be streamed by AirPlay (& Chromecast) devices.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  10. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Cheers guys, I’ll definitely look out for a Nas as it does seem to provide far more options than the usb hdd. Would one of the WD my cloud things do the job on a (very) tight budget?

Cheers for the great info.