App Store

TheNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
How amazing would a App Store be on the apple tv?

I know people talk about it alot. Just seems funny on whats taking apple so long. It would open it up so much. Maybe that what they dont want.

I'd Love it.

Thoughts?

I don't think it would open up as much as you might think it would, TV is used for watching things and not much else plus the ATV has few control inputs. A lot of apps are really just front ends to websites and that would be repeated on ATV app store, why go through all the trouble of supporting that when Apple can just say use Airplay on your iOS device instead to get the video to the ATV. Keep in mind Apple has only sold around 5 million ATV's, which is still pretty small.

Also Apples long rumoured desire to get streaming premium TV channels through the ATV could also be an issue, those TV companies are fiercely picky and all sorts of politics could be going on in the background. They may not want certain apps on the store like Plex for instance.

I think they will do down that path eventually once they get all their ducks in a row.

Last edited:
next010 said:
I don't think it would open up as much as you might think it would, TV is used for watching things and not much else plus the ATV has few control inputs. A lot of apps are really just front ends to websites and that would be repeated on ATV app store, why go through all the trouble of supporting that when Apple can just say use Airplay on your iOS device instead to get the video to the ATV. Keep in mind Apple has only sold around 5 million ATV's, which is still pretty small.

Also Apples long rumoured desire to get streaming premium TV channels through the ATV could also be an issue, those TV companies are fiercely picky and all sorts of politics could be going on in the background. They may not want certain apps on the store like Plex for instance.

I think they will do down that path eventually once they get all their ducks in a row.

As of October 2012, Apple had sold 5.3 million AppleTV 3's alone, so you're way off with you sales figure.

Sales would seriously accelerate with an App Store too, no question!

My mistake but still around 7-10 million it looks but what would people buy though an AppleTV, Apple arent going to tag a controller onto it so it's not going to play games.

The remote itself is useless for web browsing, some media portals would be fine which is what Apple already does.

The GoogleTV has the same problem, app store on it is very limited, people just havent been coming up with useful things to use it for.

Why use the remote for browsing when a keyboard will do the job?

There are so many current iOS Apps that would port over easily and would be awesome on a large screen.

iThings already connect to ATV perfectly, so there's your motion controller for your games already sorted. No brainier to me...

bpsmith said:
Why use the remote for browsing when a keyboard will do the job?

There are so many current iOS Apps that would port over easily and would be awesome on a large screen.

iThings already connect to ATV perfectly, so there's your motion controller for your games already sorted. No brainier to me...

I was just thinking that. With iPods, iPhones and iPads, there are already controllers for games out there. They're half-way there already - I think FIFA 13 allows you to AirPlay the game to Apple TV, and for you to also use an iPhone as the game controller.

Yeah I think this is the future of console gaming personally. You can already attach bluetooth keyboards to the ATV so it wouldn't take much to bring out a gaming controller. Plus as people have said, allowing ipads, iphones and ipods as controllers would be easy.

Real Racing 3 is amazing on the ATV via Airplay.

I think it would require a new ATV though really. One with a faster processor and some storage (I know it has 8gb on board but an extra 32 or 64gb would be good to download apps to).

M

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom