• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

App for tracking/finding lost iPhones?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Now that apps can run in the background and log GPS positions, i was expecting there to be lots of tracker apps (log into a secure webpage and see where you iPhone currently is). I know you can do this with Apples MobileMe, but i'm not paying for that. There seems to be little out there, unless i am missing something. Anyone seen anything worth a try yet?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Ok, I have been trying out trackmyphone (£2.39) and it's working pretty well.

I have just got a horrible feeling it will murder my batter though. We'll see.

Last edited:

sk33ve

Established Member
Not *entirely* what you are talking about, but a couple of weeks ago I was investigating tracking apps which do live update, to provide a similar kind of thing (I wanted to update some people when I was likely to finish the London to Brighton cycle ride, and it seemed like a nice, automated way to do it!) and I looked at:

Everytrail - this is my usual tracking app, unfortunately Live Tracking is coming soon
iMapMyRide - this does provide live tracking, but as far as I could see you need to use a copy of the App to see the track, you cannot log onto the website to see it (!)

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Not *entirely* what you are talking about, but a couple of weeks ago I was investigating tracking apps which do live update, to provide a similar kind of thing (I wanted to update some people when I was likely to finish the London to Brighton cycle ride, and it seemed like a nice, automated way to do it!) and I looked at:

Everytrail - this is my usual tracking app, unfortunately Live Tracking is coming soon
iMapMyRide - this does provide live tracking, but as far as I could see you need to use a copy of the App to see the track, you cannot log onto the website to see it (!)

Yes, but its only been 2 days (since OS4) that GPS apps have been able to run constantly in the background. I have used apps that publish your location to a web site for tracking, but as soon as you closed them they stopped working.

As for trackmyphone, its exactly what i wanted but its not working very well so i cant recommend anyone buy it yet.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom