Apologies if this sounds so simple but...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ftm, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ftm

ftm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am going to buy a panasonic home cinema system the question is will i get surround sound (if any sound) while watching films on normal t.v from BBC1, ITV etc. I will tell you why i am asking;
    Just bought a 37 inch panny plasma & ditched my reliable 32 inch Quintrix t.v I presumed this day and age the the new panny would have picture in picture but sadly it does not, never mind. I went to plug my headphones into the t.v and could not believe it when i couldn't find a jack plug. looked for an hour all over the telly, got bitten by my dog as i tried to kick it out of fustration, (trip to hospital for tetnus) anyway I presumed it would have a plug.
    I don't want to presume anything else, our lass will not be too happy if I only get sound from dvd's, she might leave me (could be a good thing?)
    cheers
    p.s brilliant picture from t.v well happy with it!

2. qwert-e

qwert-e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Pretty much all films in the last 20 years are encoded in dolby pro logic so yes, just plug audio leads from your 'normal t.v.' to your home cinema system and turn on dolby surround sound on the system. Its not as good as the dolby 5.1 you get on dvds, but its pretty good.

If you're using a seperate freeview box, check that has seperate audio out sockets, if its built into your plasma, check that has audio out sockets.

3. ftm

ftm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick answer