Apologies for the noob style question

makeitstop

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Am looking to buy a new living room TV.

This will be used for standard TV viewing, so varied stuff, such as general terrestrial TV channels, sports etc.

Some streamed material from Apps, but no sky TV presently and definitely no gaming.

Room is well lit, but we tend not to watch during daytime in that room.

I have read numerous threads here and the best buy advice guide. I've kind of come down to either....

This.... LG OLED55C14LB (2021) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55 inch with Freeview Play/Freesat HD & Dolby Atmos, Black

Or this.... Samsung QE55QN90B (2022) Neo QLED HDR 2000 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55 inch with TVPlus/Freesat HD & Dolby Atmos, Sand Black

What would folks choose and why?

Which wins, on picture quality, brand reliability and on functionality of remote and operating system, and so on?

Am keen to weigh them up against opinions.

Thanks in advance.

The best TV for picture quality is the LG OLED, but that doesn't make it the best TV for you.

Pick a technology, OLED or LCD according to what you require. QLED is just marketing, it has no real difference over a Sony or other brand of LED TV, although only a higher range LCD would match that one.

Thanks for the reply.

No, I appreciate Qled means nothing and that it's still LED and isn't the same as Oled, so I understand there may be differences in image quality to one over the other.

However, it's the all round ability I'm trying to consider.

for example, why exactly is one type of TV better for one person and the other for the next person. Surely if a TV is simply "better" then it's better for nearly everyone...right?

If you read the links I posted.......

If your room is bright with direct sunlight and you can't or won't dim the room using curtains or blinds then OLED probably isn't the right option for you. LCD is brighter and can offset issues with a bright room.

If you watch 24 hr News or loads of sports with scores at the bottom of the screen that has the potential for burn-in, an issue you won't get with LCD.

As I said, OLED has better picture quality but it's not for everyone.

Sorry, I overlooked the links posted, I'll check them.

Yes I do appreciate the need for some shading when using Oled to get best results. As my initial post stated, we mainly watch tv in this room in evenings, and it's shaded also, so won't be any bother.

Having said that, we currently use an LED tv there and it works ok. I have no major complaints about it. This is why I wouldn't necessarily rule out a more modern and likely improved LED tv.

How they operate and remotes etc is also important to me, though I'd guess that more decent quality sets today will work well.

Anyone have opinions on LG remote for C1 v other comparable sets?

How does it compare to a more "standard" remote?

From what I've read on it, some don't seem too keen on the LG effort.

Anyone have opinions on LG remote for C1 v other comparable sets?

How does it compare to a more "standard" remote?

From what I've read on it, some don't seem too keen on the LG effort.
The best that can be said is that the C1 remote is an acquired taste. It tries too hard to do a multitude of things that you probably don't want. I find the 'pointer' aspect a bit pointless, but you can avoid it. It's OK once you get down to the shortcuts, but I would be a lot happier with a conventional remote. Still the quality of the picture makes up for it.

Thanks for that, useful.

I'm considering it amongst Samsung and Sony and am finding it tricky to make a decision. Having said that, I am put off by the remote thing with the LG. I'm sure Sony / Samsung would be more "conventional" which I'd prefer.

I'm fairly sure too that the image quality on any of these Oled screens at similar or same price point are likely to be extremely close.

As I understand it, the LG is a good choice for those who do gaming, but that's not going to happen for me. It's simple TV, films, sport etc.

Thanks for that, useful.

I'm considering it amongst Samsung and Sony and am finding it tricky to make a decision. Having said that, I am put off by the remote thing with the LG. I'm sure Sony / Samsung would be more "conventional" which I'd prefer.

I'm fairly sure too that the image quality on any of these Oled screens at similar or same price point are likely to be extremely close.

As I understand it, the LG is a good choice for those who do gaming, but that's not going to happen for me. It's simple TV, films, sport etc.
If I was going lcd I'd go sony over samsung as they generally have better screen uniformity and probably if money isn't the issue I'd go sony oled over lg oled but if cost is an issue then lg oled is the clear winner the gaming features are just there, its not a gaming television it performs excellently for film and sport so I wouldn't focus too much on gaming features.

Hi @makeitstop

I am in a similar situation, LG C Series has been my first choice for a while but came across the Samsung qe55qn90b today and it did look very good.

What model did you choose in the end??

I got a Sony A80-55JU from John Lewis, even though they had seemed out of stock online for a few weeks. I just happened to check one evening and there was one available, so I bought it.

It's very good, but I would prefer the remote and functionality of the Samsung, as I am used to them from other TV's I have.

I'd be more than happy with the Samsung I'm sure, and would have no issue buying one if I was still looking.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom