Apologies for silly question

Kieron79

Standard Member
Just bought myself a sony ex723 led 3D tv with built in freeview hd. I have a sky+ box too. I have connected the tv to the sky box with a scart to scart lead (not sure if this is correct) and an rf cable from the back of the box to the tv. I do not have an external aerial at the property.

when I have tuned in the tv it only picked up my sky broadcast in analogue on channel 1 of the tv. if I switch the input to the scart to scart connection all i get is the sound but no image.

am i connecting my tv up with wrong connections? could the scart be faulty? anythingh i am missing (apart from a brain!!)

:lease:

logiciel

There is also the possibility that the Scart cable is wired in one direction only, so try the plugs the other way round.
How did you connect the Sky machine to the previous TV?

lbear

Novice Member
You should use a proper terrestrial aerial connection especially as your set appears to have a Freeview HD tuner incorporated. At the moment there is no way you can be viewing an HD picture.

To get Freeview HD - which has the occasional 3D broadcast too, simply connect an ordinary terrestrial aerial direct to your TV.

SCART leads are standard definition only and it looks like you only have an SD Sky+ box. To get an HD or 3D image on your screen from satellite, you need an appropriate box and must use HDMI leads.

You can go down two routes depending on your budget and viewing preference. If you wish to retain the Sky subscription services which include premium HD channels, you can upgrade your box quite easily.

On the other hand, if you only watch a few of Sky's subscription/premium services (the Sky named channels being the most obvious), you may want to look at getting a Freesat+ PVR and cancelling your subscription. Budget around £220 - £250. This will give you an HD receiver and the ability to record, without the need for subscription. Although there are currently only four HD channels (plus a Japanese English language news station in HD), more are expected in the coming months due to a new satellite coming into service. The existing Free to Air HD services are BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD, Channel 4HD and BBC HD which is planned to become BBC2 HD. Five HD will be available on both Freeview and Freesat next year, probably in July when their contract with Sky ends.

Apart from the Sky premium subscription services, your main source of 3D will be limited to Blu-Ray discs. The BBC transmits a very few 3D programmes like the Wimbledon finals however transmissions on both the Freeview HD and Freesat platforms will be viewable.

A Freesat box simply replaces your Sky+ box. Literally all you have to do is unscrew the connections from the back of the Sky box, screw them into the sockets on the back of a Freesat box, connect to your HD set using an HDMI lead, plug in, switch on and run through the setup process. It will ask you your postcode so you get the correct ITV and BBC1 region and the appropriate BBC2, Channel 4 and Five national/regional services (You can also fiddle this by inputting another postcode if, for example, you are in Wales and do not want S4C)

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

I admit that I too had wondered what was the point of having a led 3D tv with built in freeview hd but only a sky+ box and no external aerial.
Maybe OP has plans of his own for making some use out of the new TV.;)

Kieron79

Standard Member
Think Im going to look at subscribing to SKY HD as they have a deal with £100 M&S vouchers at the minute and would remove the need for installing an aerial too.

lbear

Novice Member
I admit that I too had wondered what was the point of having a led 3D tv with built in freeview hd but only a sky+ box and no external aerial.
Maybe OP has plans of his own for making some use out of the new TV.;)
I think it worthwhile reinforcing the point that the two other ways of getting HD or 3D, a Blu-Ray player or a camera - also need to be connected with an HDMI lead. They are also make connecting a laptop or other computer to the TV easier. Many recent computers and smartphones have either the full or mini versions of an HDMI socket.

logiciel

Think Im going to look at subscribing to SKY HD
You should be able to get a Sky HD PVR for free, if you take the HD Pack, or quite cheaply if you don't take the Pack. You need full SkyWorld though to get the Sky 3D channel.

Kieron79

Standard Member
Just to let you know issue was with the scart lead, just upgraded to sky+ hd and got £100 M&S voucher, free box fir 10.25 pm, just hope it's worth the extra now!!

logiciel

That was quick.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom