Apollon Amplifier Owners Thread

Krobar

Thought I would share some thoughts on a new amp I have. I know some discussion of the Hypex based stuff has happened in the past but I have not seen anything about Apollon gear so here goes.

I have the rackmount version. More details here:
https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-ncmp8350-hypex-based-multichannel-class-d-amplifier/
It doesn't mention it on the site but there are options for RCA switchable inputs and a 12V trigger (I have this fitted). I've only been running this amp for 4 days but here are some of my initial thoughts.

Build:
Nicely put together case with a really nice aluminium style front panel. The wiring is really neat and much better than some other Hypex based products I've seen; it is short twisted neat wiring with the modules nicely mounted vertically in the chassis.
The binding posts are nice quality and feel better than what you get on high end Japanese multichannel gear. I didn't want any switching in the input path for mine so use plain gold plated Neutrik XLRs which are as solid as ever. The power button is functional but doesn't feel bullet proof, of little concern though to many of us who simply use 12V triggers.

Heat:
The Hypex modules run surprisingly hot, somewhat hotter than my Lexicon LX7. The passive design of the NCMP8350 is pretty good, there is a lot of venting at the top and bottom so it is a simple passive design which works well as long as you allow at least 1RU above and below (And whatever is above doesn't mind some heat).

Function:
The 12V trigger option includes a passthrough which is useful. The amp starts with a tiny pop to the speakers which is only just audible, power up time is a few seconds and the trigger/startup all seems reliable.
The inputs are quite low sensitivity which is excellent if you use Audyssey as I got nowhere near exceeding the Audyssey trim controls with my AVP-A1 driving the amp. For the record the LX7 was adjusted 0 to +3dB in my smallish room whilst the NCMP8350 was -3dB to 0dB in the same setup.

Sound:
The all important bit of this amp is very encouraging. The noise floor is incredibly low with an active digital input carrying no noise at -4DB with ear a few cms away from the speaker tweeters and nothing audible at the listening position at near insane levels of +10dB or more.
The sound is a touch brighter than the Lexicon but with significantly more slam and a nicer tonjal balance particularly with vocals. Gun shot and explosions almost punch you in the chest whilst the very low noise floor and precise control mean I can hear details I have never heard before. Volume levels can go VERY high with the room feeling pressurised and in some cases the speakers just beginning to hit their backstops (Using Monitor Gold GX Series). Overall I'm extremely happy with the quality of the sound and will likely buy another Apollon/Hypex when I finally go Atmos.

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Very interesting read, i also have a Lexicon LX-7 and have been looking at the Hypex Ncore based amps recently.

laidick

Novice Member
Good to see another user of Apollon amplifier.
I am also a user of NC800SL, and also ordered a NCMP8350 waiting for delivery.
So far I am very pleased with the sound and the build quality of my amp.
I am looking forward to use my NCMP8350 to power my surround speakers for Atmos too :)

Krobar

Very interesting read, i also have a Lexicon LX-7 and have been looking at the Hypex Ncore based amps recently.

Update from a few weeks on.

After some cable tidying the noise floor on an active digital input is even better. Volume with my Gold GX can be pretty much anything I like and there is still headroom to spare. No reliability issues and it all works neatly too.

swainey97

Hi @Krobar thanks for the mini review been looking at power amplifier recently and stumbled across this company.

Are you still very happy with Apollon NCMP8350 also what speakers are you powering with the NCMP8350.

Im looking at Apollon NCMP8200

Thanks

Krobar

Hi,

Yes still very happy with the NCMP8350; no issues at all. I'm powering Monitor Audio Gold GX series (GX300 for the fronts) which are an easy 8ohm load; not very surprising that the NCMP8350 has absolute control of them.

Unlike the 8350 Nord Acoustics do make an equivalent of the 8200. My general thoughts on the two products are that the Apollon has neater internal cabling and offers a rackmount option but Nord are easier to deal with if you are in the UK and potentially a bit cheaper.

Hi @Krobar thanks for the mini review been looking at power amplifier recently and stumbled across this company.

Are you still very happy with Apollon NCMP8350 also what speakers are you powering with the NCMP8350.

Im looking at Apollon NCMP8200

Thanks

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Thought I would share some thoughts on a new amp I have. I know some discussion of the Hypex based stuff has happened in the past but I have not seen anything about Apollon gear so here goes.

I have the rackmount version. More details here:
Apollon NCMP8350 Hypex Based Multichannel Class D Amplifier | Hypex Based Class D Digital Handbuilt Amplifiers Only Using Highest Quality Material
It doesn't mention it on the site but there are options for RCA switchable inputs and a 12V trigger (I have this fitted). I've only been running this amp for 4 days but here are some of my initial thoughts.

Build:
Nicely put together case with a really nice aluminium style front panel. The wiring is really neat and much better than some other Hypex based products I've seen; it is short twisted neat wiring with the modules nicely mounted vertically in the chassis.
The binding posts are nice quality and feel better than what you get on high end Japanese multichannel gear. I didn't want any switching in the input path for mine so use plain gold plated Neutrik XLRs which are as solid as ever. The power button is functional but doesn't feel bullet proof, of little concern though to many of us who simply use 12V triggers.

Heat:
The Hypex modules run surprisingly hot, somewhat hotter than my Lexicon LX7. The passive design of the NCMP8350 is pretty good, there is a lot of venting at the top and bottom so it is a simple passive design which works well as long as you allow at least 1RU above and below (And whatever is above doesn't mind some heat).

Function:
The 12V trigger option includes a passthrough which is useful. The amp starts with a tiny pop to the speakers which is only just audible, power up time is a few seconds and the trigger/startup all seems reliable.
The inputs are quite low sensitivity which is excellent if you use Audyssey as I got nowhere near exceeding the Audyssey trim controls with my AVP-A1 driving the amp. For the record the LX7 was adjusted 0 to +3dB in my smallish room whilst the NCMP8350 was -3dB to 0dB in the same setup.

Sound:
The all important bit of this amp is very encouraging. The noise floor is incredibly low with an active digital input carrying no noise at -4DB with ear a few cms away from the speaker tweeters and nothing audible at the listening position at near insane levels of +10dB or more.
The sound is a touch brighter than the Lexicon but with significantly more slam and a nicer tonjal balance particularly with vocals. Gun shot and explosions almost punch you in the chest whilst the very low noise floor and precise control mean I can hear details I have never heard before. Volume levels can go VERY high with the room feeling pressurised and in some cases the speakers just beginning to hit their backstops (Using Monitor Gold GX Series). Overall I'm extremely happy with the quality of the sound and will likely buy another Apollon/Hypex when I finally go Atmos.

Hi,

Enjoyed reading your mini review, I’m also considering one of these amplifier.

I’m interested to hear your current thoughts now you’ve had it a while.

Still happy, thanks

Krobar

Hi,

Enjoyed reading your mini review, I’m also considering one of these amplifier.

I’m interested to hear your current thoughts now you’ve had it a while.

Still happy, thanks

Hi, yes no issues at all (I use it for approx 10 hours per week). Next year I will probably upgrade to Atmos and was going to order a triple Monoblock Hypex from Apollon but have been so happy with the NCPMP8350 that I dont feel I need the power so will probably just order an NCMP6200 for the ceiling/wide speakers.

Shimrod

Hi, yes no issues at all (I use it for approx 10 hours per week). Next year I will probably upgrade to Atmos and was going to order a triple Monoblock Hypex from Apollon but have been so happy with the NCPMP8350 that I dont feel I need the power so will probably just order an NCMP6200 for the ceiling/wide speakers.

Your experience with Apollon sounds very similar to mine with Nord. I've found the NC252MP based amplifier a revelation. I'm going to buy a second one to drive my Atmos channels, my only decision is whether to get another 4 channels the same or get a 5 channel NC502 based amplifier to the main speakers and use the NC252 for rear surrounds and atmos.

scoc

I’m potentially looking in moving to an Apollon 8200 multichannel amp since I want to go for 7 channels. Are those using Apollon multichannel amps still happy with their choice and/or issues you had with them since purchase?

Krobar

I’m potentially looking in moving to an Apollon 8200 multichannel amp since I want to go for 7 channels. Are those using Apollon multichannel amps still happy with their choice and/or issues you had with them since purchase?

My 8350 is still running great, not a single issue and sounds good with plenty of headroom and excellent noise floor. I will get a 4200 to go with it as soon as I go Atmos.

PascalP

just had a chat with the guys from Apollon, very helpful and prompt replies, was also looking at the Hypex based multichannel amps, but they actually recommended the Icepower based AS2400 or AS4800 to me.
So wondering if anyone has used those yet?

Also been looking at Nord, but those don't do Icepower multichannel amps I see.

HeadBanger

I received my Apollon NCMP6200 six channel amp and along with their 2 channel NC800SL a couple of weeks ago but only managed to have a proper extended listen with both music and films over the bank holiday weekend. I opted for triggers on both and the standard op amp on the NC800SL.

I have to say I am gobsmacked just how good they are; I was hoping they would be good but they have surpassed this. The incredible clarity and control of the Hypex amps are exactly as others have commented and the headroom available is just insane - I was playing some stuff very loud but it never once sounded strained and remained extremely dynamic.

@Krobar - could you rename this thread to 'Apollon Owners Thread' or should I start a new one?

HB

Last edited:

scoobysmiff

Anyone running one of the PURIFI 1ET400A premium amps? Have you any thoughts to share?

Furnace Inferno

Anyone running one of the PURIFI 1ET400A premium amps? Have you any thoughts to share?
I ordered an 11 channel one last month but won’t be with me until September assuming there are no chip shortages like with the HypeX NCore, last I asked the case was being milled still.

I found a french website with some impressions and a picture of the 11 though:

I imagine it will be pretty similar to the NAD M28 except about £100 cheaper per channel (actually surprised me it was that close although if NAD offered an 11 channel in one box it would probably cost more!), looking at all the measurements on ASR they are all near identical unless someone does something poorly. I went with the Apollon over Nord because of the better case/build. I’ve got one with a rack mount front plate so will be interesting to see the visual difference as they don’t have any pics.

E74E1021-AA66-49FC-8448-E18FA01AFF9F.jpeg

3208E434-9637-4ABB-8971-BF17BD0287F7.jpeg

Furnace Inferno

Have been interested in going class d .. 8 channel

Do you need to run this off a 20amp circuit .. [email protected] per channel seems like a ton of power. The ATI amps that push less than require dual 20amp circuits to power just one of their amps ?
It does say 2x mains inputs so perhaps the image isn’t up to date, however even with one UK mains plug it can output 13A/~3000W which would be fine at 8Ohm. Best bet would be to drop them an email and Tibor (the owner) normally answers any questions pretty quickly.

Krobar

Have been interested in going class d .. 8 channel

Do you need to run this off a 20amp circuit .. [email protected] per channel seems like a ton of power. The ATI amps that push less than require dual 20amp circuits to power just one of their amps ?
I find with mine that there is no problem with a 20A circuit in normal operation. In normal on/off operation with my prepro there is no issue at all.

Power cuts or switching it off at the wall however can cause an issue. If the amp is on and the power to the sockets is suddenly restored then it will sometimes blow the 20A breaker if both plug sockets are on at the back. The workaround is to switch one socket off, reset the breaker and then switch on the other socket. So 20A works but I would recommend 30A if you are installing new electrics.

Furnace Inferno

Still can’t join the owners club yet, seems Apollon are having major issues with Covid shutdowns in the country so exports are taking forever. Currently 3 months in since purchasing (nearly 2 months of which has been customs delay!) and I saw on AVSForum it took someone else 4 months to get theirs.

Absolute nightmare for them, feel sorry for Tibor, he emailed to say customs promised it would get sent on Monday last week but I knew that wasn’t going to be the case but I’m sure other customers are much more demanding and there is nothing he can do.

Hopefully it will arrive soonish though and I can give it a test run.

Last edited:

Furnace Inferno

Yeh not ideal but given I don’t have the system out at the minute anyway it’s only really stopping me temporarily setting them up to play it.

The three premium monoblocks look fantastic one AVS though so I know it will look great before I put it away hidden in the rack.

Baggy

Shocking, hopefully by the time I decide to place an order things will be smoother.

Furnace Inferno

I think Covid restrictions in Europe are still a lot tougher than hear where things are basically back to normal and we kind of forget. Add in all the new customs rubbish because of Brexit which still hasn’t been fully ironed out and I’m not surprised but doesn’t make the wait any easier.

Furnace Inferno

Finally looks like it’s on the move, here’s hoping it doesn’t get damaged during shipping!!

Furnace Inferno

Here at last, looks well packaged. I paid customs too quickly so it went from Tuesday delivery to Friday but obviously I wasn’t in for it but box doesn’t looked damaged. :thumbsup:

C36ECB4E-6E5D-4A76-A7D2-B5E730AC7E6E.jpeg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published