Apollo 13?

G a f f e r

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hello. I've been on the lookout for the R2 version of Apollo 13 for some time now, but can't seem to locate it anywhere.
Play.com just indicates "£7.99 Not currently availabe"

Is this because it's yet to come out (a bit late really) or because it's been deleted (in which case, what now?).

cheers for any info

May not be of much help, but dvdsoon has the R1 dts and special editions for about £8 each.

It was released quite a few years ago mate but has been deleted for awhile now so unless you can find a shop that still has it you will have to get the R1 release or wait for it to be re-released.

Thanx guys.
Have just found out that a new version (cleaned up PAL with DTS) will be released this summer in UK. (June i think)
If it doesn't come out by then I'll just order that US DTS widescreen one instead.

thanx again

The US DTS uses the full bit-rate (~1.5Mbps), I'd put money on the latest (R2) version using the half bit-rate option.

DVDSoon have just cancelled by R1 DTS order. They are no longer able to source it from their supplier.

Perhaps this means there's also a new R1 version out this year as well?

Has anyone done, or seen a comparrison review of the Dolby Digital and DTS versions of this film?

Regards,
Iain.

Saw a review ( not allowed to publish it here ) that states picture quality on both is identical but for the fact the DTS version has ever so slightly a softer picture, bear in mind though that all the critics rate the DTS track as being superior to the Dolby one.

Just put Apollo 13 DTS into your browser and itll come up with loads of different reviews for you to check.

Originally posted by lazarus
its in stock at www.dvd.co.uk

Thanks, I already have the 5.1 version on R1. Was specifically looking for the DTS version. Will hang on and see what happens with the new R2 release. ;)

I agree with that, I'm also waiting for a DTS version.

Also (sorry for this basic question ) but confucious, why would the R2 version be half the bit rate? and if it is, are the pq's vastly different ('cos foxymulders post indicates if anything the R1 will be softer)?

The vast majority of mainstream titles, if not all, now use dts at 1/2 (754kbps) bit rate. In the early days of DVD, when titles were released with either dts or DD (although the dts version had to carry at least a 192kbps DD track), dts were almost always at the full (1.5mbps) b/r

The R1 DD has a better audio track than the DTS plus you get the making-of documentary which is excellent. Plus if you leave the disc on the main menu it will play the whole soundtrack which lasts an hour.

Forget the DTS and go for the R1 DD.

By better audio I mean more dynamic with better separation.

The DTS has far superior audio separation and dynamically sounds amazing from the deep bass to the more active surround channels everything sounds better in DTS as far as this film goes, i wish i was allowed to give links to several review sites but unfortunately i am not allowed but like i said if you stick Apollo 13 DTS into your browser you should find many reviews from varied sources who all claim the DTS sound is superior.

Believe me the DTS version is not worth it. I had it and the DD version is better in every way in my mind.

But it's your money ....

I had it on order with MovieTyme for weeks... DTS version is out of print... :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom