Apocalypse Now

Zog

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this for £9.99 in Sainsburys today, after months of searching. What's goin on? HMV, Virgin and elsewhere have said that it aint out till 2002. And it is R2.
It has a few extras and is DTS.
Have I missed something here?

But is it Redux?

"...and is DTS..."

I hope you bought it for £9,99 --- if you didn't you may have missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own the only R2 DVD of Apocalypse Now in the whole wide world that features a dts soundtrack!... (...it would probably be worth the price of a Maserati on eBay...)

...I think...

. . . :( . . .

Just examined it a bit closer and it is actually Dolby Dig. What really puzzled me is just where it originates from, and what was it doing in Sainsburys?
What is Redux?

...ahh... where have you been in the past - oh - eighteen months...?

...Apocalypse Now Redux is the new, improved, longer (by some 50-odd minutes!), ultimately ultimate, definitely definitive, not-to-be-tampered-with-ever-again, by anyone, anywhere, ever, Director's Cut that was recently released on Region1/NTSC DVD... (I can feel the next question that's coming: "What's NTSC?")...

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/apocalypse_now_redux.shtml

. . . :D . . .

Is there a version of Apocalypse Now (R1 or R2) which features the 'explosive' ending? By this I mean that when the end credits display with that cool music, there is a napalm attack going on behind them.

'Redux' has the boring ending where the credits just display over black...

New Television Sending Cable ?
If you read my post again you will see that I said it is an R2 disc.

This original version of Apocalypse Now was released in R2 (same spec as the R1 disc) around 18 months ago (or longer) now. I'm suprised you couldn't find it as it's been available from all the high street and internet stores ever since its release.
Apocalypse Now Redux is probably what the staff were thinking of when they told you it wouldn't be released until 2002, although the R1 version was released last November.
Redux is not necessarily a better or improved film just because it's longer, infact, it lessens the impact of the original cut, but it's still a good film and worth a watch or ten if you're a fan of the original version.

As for the ending with the explosions behind it...I'm glad someone else remembers this one. Nobody ever believes me it existed, but my mum's got it taped from it's first TV airing on BBC2 about 18 years ago and although it's not the big destructive bombing you see as a deleted scene on the (original version)disc, there's definitely explosions behind the end credits. It's the only time I've ever seen it, it's (AFAIK) never been available on any home video release. But it did exist, just the same as the film was released on video in 2.35:1 widescreen, I know because I've got it, although following widescreen releases always came as 2.1:1. And 2.35 looks so much nicer.

The mystery deepens, as on the disc I have its states.....
"the original 70mm presentation had no end credits...!". Cinema goers were instead given a printed program with all the relevant details. The 35mm version had the credits added at a later date. With regard to the credits with the napalm in the background I to remember it from TV, but as to there origins................?

A friend saw it at the NFT many years ago, and was indeed handed the credits as she left!
I remember seeing the 'napalm in the darkness' on TV as well, but not since. The 'Hearts of Darkness' documentary only shows the 'full' napalming of the village in close up.

Aha, I seem to recall that the Apocalypse Now with the explosive end has been released on video here. When the first widescreen version was released (CIC) it was had a little box saying 'with new ending' which prompted me to buy. I still have it floating around somewhere so will look and return.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom