1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apocalypse Now problems

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jay2000, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone having problems with the R2 Apocalypse Now disc?

I'm on my 2nd disc and for some strange reason the I cant get the Menu screen at all and the picture 'wobbles' for the first 30 seconds of the film (check out the tops of the trees!)

Anyone else got these problems?

Jay

------------------
    "What the fudge - if ya cant say it, ya can't do it..."

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Sorry to hear of your problems. My R2 "Apocalypse Now" DVD works fine.

However, have you checked the disc on another machine. If it's okay on the other player, then your machine may be at fault. I can't see what would cause the "wobbling" you describe, and if you can't get the Menu on screen, then it is probably the DVD, but this is a most odd problem.

In none of that helps, then my advice would be to return the DVD and claim a refund.

What machine are you using, and what happens when you insert the DVD into your player?

Pooch

3. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry Pooch, I guess I should have given you lot more to work on, so here goes...

My player is an LG 2330P and I have now established that it IS the player's fault. I took the disc back to WHSmith and it wouldnt load the menu screen on their LG 3200 either, but loads fine on a different make player (I forget which). We have also established that the 'wobbly' picture right at the start of the film is probably a glitch in the transfer as it was noticeable on a Sony player we tried it on as well. (The very start of the film, with the shot of the trees, before the first chopper flies past, look closely! - the tops of the trees seem to wobble from side to side.)

Anyway, when I insert the disc the player starts looking for the menu screen as normal but then just totally freezes up and does absolutely naff-all until I press the 'stop' button. I can play the film and some of the extras by pressing play and when the film starts I can select tracks from there but it's hardly the same thing is it? [​IMG]

Think I will contact LG and see if there is a firmware upgrade or something that will sort it out. Although I doubt they will touch it as its chipped. Ho-hum - at least I can still watch the film!.

Jay

------------------

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Jay,

Have just studied my R2 copy of Apocalypse Now, and you are dead right. The trees definitely do move! However, I also checked an old VHS recording from Channel 4, and the exact same thing happened - thus it must be a major print error that will appear on every version of the movie.

Ah well, c'est la vie, I guess.

Pooch

5. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you should say that - I checked my old VHS original 4:3 copy and the trees were perfectly still!

I know that when C4 last screened it they showed the widescreen version so maybe that has something to do wih it.

Oh well... [​IMG]

------------------