Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to getting my copy. Mind, I've still not heard any version of it which outperforms the Laserdisc I have of it. It even came with a warning regarding the audio 'proceed with caution' :)

Gazgum

Nice one,thank you Simon!
With a disc (in this case;disc set) with more than one version,I think it would be useful if you could confirm you watched the Final Cut only and obviously not in DV?
Many have had audio issues with the seamless branched Extended Version of Black Hawk Down;I take it you haven’t watched either of the other two versions?
(A double helping of this would take up the best part of a day!)

steve sph

Decent enough review, but only 8 for the movie itself?
Hard to understand, given that virtually every film critic worth reading reckon it's the best Vietnam war film ever made, (and arguably one of the best films ever made, period).
Especially when dross like Iron Man 3 and Shazam get a 9 rating.
That aside, looking forward to viewing this.
Even if it is only as good as Deadpool 2 if we're to take your ratings seriously :facepalm:

wongataa

Hard to understand, given that virtually every film critic worth reading reckon it's the best Vietnam war film ever made, (and arguably one of the best films ever made, period).
The reviewer states that they prefer the original theatrical cut of the film so it seems to fit that they would rate the Final Cut version of the film a little lower so an 8 isn't that surprising.

crabby09

Opinions are fraught with personal interpretations... But a valid reason for scoring anything different to anything else could simply be because it sets out to achieve something different.

eg: Someone may consider a certain footballer "the best" because they score the most... Someone else may suggest a defender or goalie is the best football player... fact is they're different and complimentary and to directly compare them is almost futile.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Even if it is only as good as Deadpool 2 if we're to take your ratings seriously :facepalm:
Its a 10/10 film for me and always has been. Whichever cut I watch wont change that.

Diagnosticz

This is the best war film ever made the most realistic, the most atmospheric, with great cinematography, the iconic Brando scenes regardless of the version to be rated an 8 for the film its a 10 for me, the redux review got a 10 for the extended scenes but this cut will not take any of the enjoyment away so should remain a 10

The redux version i have has one of the the best picture qualities i have seen on a 1080P disc. So can imagine how good this is on 4k

Last edited:

Gazgum

Its a 10/10 film for me and always has been. Whichever cut I watch wont change that.
Given that you’ve probably watched it enough times to do your own edit from memory,which will be your favourite Jim?
And as someone who confesses to never having watched it properly:rolleyes:;which version should I start with?Theatrical?

Evinger

Thanks for the Review. A must have.

stigdu

Thanks for the great review, Simon. It's just been added to my 'must own' list.

As for best war film ever? Well, call me a philistine, but I preferred Paths of Glory, Full Metal Jacket and Platoon in my youth. Mind, it's been a long time since I've seen any of them...

Cartman4x

Do the discs come in a gatefold cardboard boxset or are we treated to a decent plastic case for the price?

navarro67

Do the discs come in a gatefold cardboard boxset or are we treated to a decent plastic case for the price?
The US version arrived for me last Friday, its a cardboard case. Looks pretty good, but has super annoying little flaps that wrap over the top and bottom that do nothing and naturally want to stick out forwards making it look as if its about to spring open. That's my only gripe though

Buggs66

I think I’ve seen this movie at least 4 times and always enjoy it until Brando starts his incoherent ramblings.Saying that I will watch the 4k version knowing I’m going to get at least a couple of hours of great movie making and then suffer the Brando mumbling.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
This is the best war film ever made the most realistic, the most atmospheric, with great cinematography, the iconic Brando scenes regardless of the version to be rated an 8 for the film its a 10 for me, the redux review got a 10 for the extended scenes but this cut will not take any of the enjoyment away so should remain a 10

The redux version i have has one of the the best picture qualities i have seen on a 1080P disc. So can imagine how good this is on 4k
This is how people differ as I personally do not like the redux version and the reviewer prefers the theatrical over final cut .

That said , can't wait to sit down and give it a spin in full on Dolby Atmos :smashin: Oh my it should be a ride :cool:.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
The US version arrived for me last Friday, its a cardboard case. Looks pretty good, but has super annoying little flaps that wrap over the top and bottom that do nothing and naturally want to stick out forwards making it look as if its about to spring open. That's my only gripe though
I'm curious about the UK packaging because I also got the US release last week, and while the discs are awesome the actual packaging is very poor.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Given that you’ve probably watched it enough times to do your own edit from memory,which will be your favourite Jim?
And as someone who confesses to never having watched it properly:rolleyes:;which version should I start with?Theatrical?
Yeah I'd start with the Theatrical. Then Redux. Then the new cut.

I'm not sure which I prefer! Its a bit of 'The Shining' situation for me. I was so used to the shorter cut for years that when a longer cut came along it was a real novelty and I just want to watch the longer cut from then on. The great news is we are getting all 3 cuts in 4K of course so whichever one we watch, it will look and sound great!

Winnie1221

I'm ashamed to say this, as a HUGE movie fan....... but I have never seen this film!

I have now put it right at the top of my 4K UHD birthday (later this month) list though if that is any consolation?!

L4_Isoside

I'm ashamed to say this, as a HUGE movie fan....... but I have never seen this film!

I have now put it right at the top of my 4K UHD birthday (later this month) list though if that is any consolation?!
The only and only time I watched it, my first thoughts where "that was overrated.."

Will get the 4K copy and give it another go!

laser

Have Amazon stopped taking orders for the 4K collectors edition, it's no longer available and hadn't even been released yet.

Had to go to Zavi.

white91

Added to my list

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Can’t wait for my UK arrival, been looking forward to this since I heard Phil and Steve talk about a clip they saw at Ces back when HDR was just kicking off!

Dean

One of the best opening scenes to a movie ever. Those helicopter blade sound effects through all the speakers with The Doors This Is The End is almost hypnotic.

Rockets

Yes it seems odd that the raft of doppelganger franchise/monster/comic book hero mixed with comedy films could be considered in the same rating ballpark as this film.

Really time will probably be the best representation in the end. Thirty years time Apocalypse will still be talked about and rated highly. Shazam or the others you mention I doubt it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett