1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apocalypse Now 18/10

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Spazwunkle, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heyhey all

I see on play.com that there is an Apocalypse Now DVD scheduled for October at £10.

Does anyone know if this is the original cut or redux? And if it the original cut, has anything been done to it (new transfer etc)?

2. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :beer: Hopefully it will be the original cut, along with a commentary by Coppola and the legendary documentary 'A filmaker's apocalypse'. That'll do for starters :zonked:

I love this film :clap:

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully both cuts and Heart of Darkness and a Coppola commentary :)

4. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have got the redux version, but not had a chance to watch it yet. Is the original preferable in people's opinions? Is this the case for most films, that the original cut is generally better, or is it decided on a DVD by DVD basis?

Cheers,

Mark.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I also hope it is the orignal, i have the redux version which is fine bit also want the original.

imo i wouldnt say better just different, i feel that redux is slightly too long but it does answer certain questions etc.

6. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At £10 I doubt its the much wanted Special Edition, but if its the original cut, maybe I can finally put my VHS copy to rest (already have Redux).

I remember a while ago, someone wrote a letter to a DVD magazine asking about a possible Special Edition. The mag got in touch with the people that had made the Redux DVD (or something) and they stated they wanted to do a definitive edition (Orginal Cut, Redux, Documentary, Commentary etc), but said Coppola was not too interested in participating, at least at that time. This was just after the Redux DVD release so maybe he was just apocalypsed-out, but you know a Special Edition would not be that Special without Coppolas input.

I still await the day :)

7. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I want the (now deleted) original version on dvd as Redux is definitely inferior and bloated...

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i've got redux on dvd but it's so long i can never find time to watch it.. nearly 4 hours isnt it? i mean i'll sit and watch LOTR extended cos it's exciting and sometimes breathtaking, do you think A.N. has the same level of excitement, or is it a very character driven, conversational movie? if it's 4 hours of gunfights and explosions, i'll watch it tonight ;)