Question Apex 10 v SoundFrame 1

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by devbias, Jun 14, 2018.

1. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    My current set up is
    MA Apex A10 Front Left & Right
    MA Apex A40 centre
    MA Silver FX surround Left & Right.
    BK XXLS400 DF sub

I wish to move my front left & right further away from the centre to centrically match the distance of the rears.
    However the A10 will not be an option for this due to decor and furniture.
    The MA soundframe 1 could be an option for front Left & Right but how would these compare & fit in with the existing speakers?

Would especially like the views of A10 owners & soundframe owners.

Andy

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +640
    Even though i'm not an owner, I have experienced both a number of times having both of them setup in my old showroom. I would say that the A10's are the better speaker, but not to the point of discrediting them against the soundframe's.

As you will be moving to create a better stereo dispersion, you may find that you gain better stereo performance than using the A10's where you have them now which maybe quite a narrow width with everything becoming grouped together.

So, although this isn't an answer, it does give you an idea. Now if you could use the A10's in the same place, I would have just said keep the A10's.

3. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Shane,
    You have confirmed what I already expected. I would like something of the same performance of the A10 or better but wall mounted to give me the advantage of better dispersion. Ideally I would like something that would play nice with my current MA set up?
    Any suggestions or experiences are always welcome input.

Andy

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +640
    I think there really is only one option for you and that is to look towards the Dali Opticon LCR on-wall speaker. This speaker has all the hallmarks to bring a little more musical prowess whilst keeping the aesthetics clean for wall mounting.

As Monitor Audio don't really have anything other similar to the Dali's, I would suggest changing all three of your front speakers if it is a 5.1 so that you can create a balanced front end, if its purely stereo, then you don't have much to worry about as they are a very accomplished speaker solution for your requirements.

5. devbias

devbias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Still looking at possible ways to improve my L to R sound stage.
    My stereo in movies is very narrow with poor sound placement when moving from left to right or vice versa.
    Please take a look at my front layout with 65" TV & there will also be a chair in the right hand corner. Another line of thought could be 2x A40's for L&R wall mounted approx 4ft each side from the screen.

Attached Files:

6. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I would do the two A40’s and then use the A10’s as front heights for Atmos. I have A10’s as front heights and I think it brings a lot to the front sound stage. Haven’t room for A40’s at front as I would do that