• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Aperture 2

ben2579

I am about to buy a Sony A200 and have a Mac and wondered what people felt about post production software. How does it compare with photoshop elements or is the included software adequate?

Endeavour

I am no expert on either but from what I have seen they are not really directly comparable. The area they overlap most is in probably in library management. Aperture is more aimed at the professional in this regard. Aperture's ability to correct images is more powerful and aimed at people working with RAW images. As such, it is more directly comparable with Lightroom than Elements or Photoshop. It works in a none destuctive way so you original file is left unchanged. Elements has more options for transforming and modifying images as distinct from just correcting them.

iPhoto is pretty good for something that is bundled with the OS. I love the book feature (to be honest, I bought Aperture mainly because you can do even better books). I would see how you get on with iPhoto first before buying anything else. Elements is available as a trial from the Adobe Web site. There is a new version (v7) for PC just out whilst the Mac version is still v6 so it may be worth hanging on a little bit. There are some good Aperture demo films on the Apple website and an Apple store will be happy to demo it for you

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom