Apect Ratios and Digital TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Dom H, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pace FTA box set to 16:9 mode connected to my 32" Tau.

Just want to check my understanding of this, correct me where I'm wrong;

Pictures are broadcast in either 4:3 format or wider such as 16:9/14:9, setting the digital box to 4:3 letterbox cuts of the sides for any picture wider than 4:3 whereas setting to 16:9 mode allows wider than 4:3 pictures to be sent to the tv, right?

When I set my tv to 'Auto' for the aspect ratio I get either usually 14:9 (world cup bbc1,eastenders) or 4:3, rarely 16:9.

Thanks

Dom.

2. Nic Allen

Nic Allen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've connected your PACE box via a SCART lead, your TV should vbe switching to WIDESCREEN mode if the programme is being transmitted in 16:9. This is the anamorphic widescreen setting, where the programme is transmitted in a compressed 4:3 format, and the TV stretches the picture to true 16:9 format.

I'm not sure what would happen if you're only connected via a normal RF lead. One of the pins on the SCART lead is used for widescreen switching, so maybe your tv is just making an educated guess as to which ratio to display.

Note, the World Cup games are transmitted in WIDESCREEN format, but it seems the cameras are only capable of 14:9, which is why you get black bars down both sides. The same applies on ITV, but you'll notice they have parterns instead of bars.

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not correct Nic I believe. The action we're seeing is shot 4:3 and zoomed to 14:9 by the broadcasters. A widescreen feed was available but declined by UK broadcasters as it would have annoyed people watching on 4:3 TVs. Other threads have aired this issue too.

4. Nic Allen

Nic Allen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected.

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mistake somehow my pace box was set to 4:3, I now get 16:9 and some 4:3, much better.

6. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Odd. They don't seem to think it will upset people when they broadcast domestic/European games.

And why should it upset them? If they've got their digibox set to 4:3 output they don't even need to know that the source broadcast is 16:9 (the poor fools).

Surely this can't be true, can it? Do you have a reference?

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a couple of other world cup tv broadcast threads which have links in.

Although, IIRC, there was no reason given for BBC and ITV why they did not purchase the PAL widescreen feeds.

Some think that it was due to cost as PAL widescreen had to be ordered in advance. Others have said the number of cameras that would have been available (lower than the 4:3 cameras).

8. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think the widescreen feed didn't incorporate the protected frame shooting that makes domestic and European transmissions viewable full-screen on 4:3 TVs. Doubledoom, didn't you mention this somewhere?

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there was mention (which i have repeated elsewhere) that there was no protected frame on the 16:9 versions.