1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apartment Sky + installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tim k, Dec 13, 2004.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me and my girlfriend moved into our apartment 6 months ago and have been using a freeview box, but now we want to upgrade to sky +, the apartment already has a connection panel with sky connection but after ringing sky to install i found this isnt sky + compatible as it would need the secondary feed. I have asked the original installation company to feed me a secondary line but they say its too big a job and requires major rewiring.

The apartment is anti dish and we are not allowed to install our own dishes. Fortunately my balcony faces south east so im told i could get a dish and installation str8 off the balcony, its just a matter of persuading the apartment management company.

Anyone got any other solutions??

2. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Only other thing you could do is use a stacker & de-stacker, which was designed exactly for solving the problem that you have.

Very simply, it stacks the two signals on top of each other than sends them down the one cable, and then seperates ( de-stacks) them at the stb end :clap:

I used one for my sister in law's flat when she had the same problem, only problem is the price, around 100 GBP trade!!:eek:

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So would that connect to the sat connection on my pre installed panel inc all arial etc?? would that need any installation?? and where can i buy them!?

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You need a stacker at the dish end and a de-stacker at the Sky+ end. How it connects at the dish end depends on what equipment is already there. You'd also need permission from the management company.

5. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  6. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  7. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The company here in brum (rayner systems or summin like that) said that they have had probs with the stackers?? not sure why, they also said they were 175!! but i might propose to buy this manhattan stacker and give it to them to fix. could you please tell me how easy it is to fix to the communal dish? they will need access to the roof, will it need much modification, and at my end in the apartment will it just connect to the settop box or will more modding be need to be done to the panel which has the apartments connections (aerial, fm, spares, sat etc)??

8. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Only used once, but sis in law has had no problems.
    As far as fitting is concerned, at the dish end there will be a head end system(possibly in the attic/loft space) which is where the signals are distributed, the connection feeding your appartement is plugged into, then out of the stacker, and an additional satellite feed is also plugged into the stacker, which then combines the two lots of signals and feeds them(with aerial & fm) to your flat.At your wallplate you connect the sattellite part to the destacker, then the two outputs on the unit to sky+

9. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, ill give them a call 2mo hopefully get it sorted :)

10. dishdoc

dishdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    let us know how you get on, matey :smashin: