APart Speakers - Any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PeterShore, Aug 11, 2006.

1. PeterShore

PeterShore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My installer has offered me APart In Ceiling speakers at a fraction of the cost of the equivalent Sonance range - does anyone know if these are any good? Just don't want to be sold a duff pair!! :D

I only want them for background music rather than detailed hifi use (for which I will use Sonance)

Thanks for any help

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've never heard of them but a quick Google around turns up the information that "APart is a brand that you most likely won't have seen, but there is every chance you will have listened to. They produce a large range of loudspeakers and amplifiers specifically designed for installers to use. Because of this you'll find APart speakers are used extensively in Hospitals, Offices, Schools and anywhere else that large numbers of in ceiling loudspeakers are required. Because of the large production volumes prices are very competitive, and specifications impressive. An excellent option for the DIY multiroom installer. "

In view of your comment that you only want them for background music these seem to be tailor made for you

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,476
    Hello PeterShore

I'm always amused when things are billed as 'equivalent' but at a fraction of the price - I guess they mean they are the same size :)

If yes I'd ask to hear both options!

Joe

4. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    As Joe says really.....i'd like to get a Miller & Kreisel and Lexicon equivalent at a fraction of the price......sorry, but it doesn't happen. Maybe acceptable for background music though.

5. Abootnoo

Abootnoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of getting a listen? If you only want them for background, they might well do you.

The only problem with all in-wall/ceiling speakers is that they sound different once installed. I took a flier on some fleabay cheapies for the bathroom and they sound brilliant.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,476
    I have to say given the choice of no-music or 'background' music piped through some horrid In-ceiling spks I know what I tend to choose.

I hear too many 'whole house' systems that get let down by really poor In-ceiling spks - I never understand why folk wont spend a few quid on the speakers that are most likely used most often in your home.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a half decent sound from Sonance or similar - but you can create something horrid in the search to save 100.00 GBP.

Best regards

Joe

7. Abootnoo

Abootnoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget normally, but I don't feel at all disappointed with my system and I suspect this has a lot to do with acoustics. Sorry, but I'm not into £500 speakers for a bathroom that echoes like Paddington station.

8. PeterShore

PeterShore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I'd certainly never heard of them until a couple of days ago.

My installer had been offered them by his wholesaler who said they were very good. As you can imagine I was a bit sceptical, hence my original post!!!

Given that no-one seems to have actually heard them, I may well give them a miss.:D

What do people think of the Sonance CR101s? As I say I only need them where background music is required (Kitchen/Dining room) rather than critical listening (where I was planning on using Sonance 622TR)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? - I'm only looking to pay roughly £100-150 per pair for the background listening ones - they will be teamed up with Sonos ZP100s

Thanks
    Peter

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,476
    Hello Abootnoo

Who mentioned 500.00 GBP and who mentioned 'Bathroom' speakers :)

I still don't get it - if you've gone to the bother of distributing sound around your house why stick some poor sounding speakers on the end of the system.

Were talking (I'm guessing) about the possible difference between a half decent pair of Sonance general purpose In-ceiling at around 250.00 GBP and a pair of sub 100.00 GBP Apart.

If the 'background' music system is used a lot I'd want the option of hearing the Apart before I 'made do' with nasty sounding spks for the next few years whenever I want some sound on in the background (or I'd save on the 'distributed sound' system and install a Tivoli radio instead!).

Best regards

Joe

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,476
    Hello PeterShore

The CR201 often gets the nod over the CR101 as the pivoting tweeter means you can counteract way too much separation between the speakers as folk often want them installed at the corners of a ceiling.

If you can keep them relatively close together and near to your 'listening/working' area the CR101 is a decent choice.

Joe

11. PeterShore

PeterShore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the advice. The speakers are going towards the centre of the room rather than the corners so CR101s should be OK. I've chosen 622TRs for the critical areas due to the moveable tweeters.

Presumably the CR101SST is ok too (for bathroom)?

Thanks
    Peter